The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Brian Brushwood's new book test (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..22..26..30..34..38..39~40~41 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 16:05, tomsk192 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 14:38, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 13:48, tomsk192 wrote:
Andrew, if you google "Möbius switch torrent", you'll find that people will share anything these days. Bizarre!

I wonder if rule 34 applies? No, wait, I'm going to be sick....

Really? This is the kind of pathetic tactic your resorting to?

http://bit.ly/W71vNc

I'm just wondering if these sites share your views on IP?

I was referring to this: "you'll find that people will share anything these days," which appears to be a "dig" at my effect.
What is your point? Do you really think I'm oblivious to people torrenting Mobius? I've written about it several times in these discussions.
What are you getting at?
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Andrew, if you google "Möbius switch torrent", you'll find that people will share anything these days. Bizarre!

I'm just wondering if these sites share your views on IP?
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Do they share your views on IP?
bonesly
View Profile
Regular user
London
176 Posts

Profile of bonesly
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 16:05, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 15:59, bonesly wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 15:30, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 14:50, Andrew Zuber wrote:

Quote:

When you paid for a COPY (ONE COPY) of my CD, you agreed to the copyright that's written on the back of the case. It's right there. You put money on the counter in exchange for the CD. Now we're in business together. If you can't adhere to that, put the CD back and kindly walk out of the store - I have no interest in your business.

Jesus christ, I AGREED WITH YOU on that. In such a scenario, I WOULD be agreeing to such a contract.
Quote:

If you agree with this then you are contradicting yourself when you say this

If I OWN that copy, then I can do what ever the hell I want with it, that's what OWNING it means. Rights are a product of ownership. You cannot own something without having the "rights" that are inherent with ownership.

As for "your" potential customers, you don't own them, and ANYONE can "take" them from you by simply offering them alternatives, re: competition. If they choose to buy a different CD in the store, guess what, that CD just as much "took" "your" potential customer as much as any other scenario.

So NO you can't do whatever you want with your copy.

But you can do all the things that doesn't conflict with your agreement.

Actually, I still CAN, I have just agreed not to.

I can go out and sleep with any other person who agrees to sleep with me, it's my body, I own it, and I can do with it as I will, HOWEVER, I am committed to my wife, and I have agreed NOT to do that. That doesn't mean that, suddenly, my "rights" over my own body magically disappeared as soon as I signed my marriage licence.

Don't understand what point you are trying to prove, both things are wrong and illegal. Are saying its RIGHT to do these things?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Here is the face behind the Simpsons character: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnh77FDpCvA
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 16:11, tomsk192 wrote:
Do they share your views on IP?

How the hell should I know?

tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Take a wild guess.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Why are there only two threads on this? Something this serious should have at least4-5 threads going.
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm just wondering if These sites share your views on IP?

I haven't had the time to check that out yet, but I will when I get home from work.

Maybe gdw doesn't care about it, but I'll bet that Blue Crown does!
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 16:19, Zombie Magic wrote:
Why are there only two threads on this? Something this serious should have at least4-5 threads going.

I'd say so M. Le Zombie.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 16:12, bonesly wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

When you paid for a COPY (ONE COPY) of my CD, you agreed to the copyright that's written on the back of the case. It's right there. You put money on the counter in exchange for the CD. Now we're in business together. If you can't adhere to that, put the CD back and kindly walk out of the store - I have no interest in your business.

Jesus christ, I AGREED WITH YOU on that. In such a scenario, I WOULD be agreeing to such a contract.
Quote:

If I OWN that copy, then I can do what ever the hell I want with it, that's what OWNING it means. Rights are a product of ownership. You cannot own something without having the "rights" that are inherent with ownership.

As for "your" potential customers, you don't own them, and ANYONE can "take" them from you by simply offering them alternatives, re: competition. If they choose to buy a different CD in the store, guess what, that CD just as much "took" "your" potential customer as much as any other scenario.

I can go out and sleep with any other person who agrees to sleep with me, it's my body, I own it, and I can do with it as I will, HOWEVER, I am committed to my wife, and I have agreed NOT to do that. That doesn't mean that, suddenly, my "rights" over my own body magically disappeared as soon as I signed my marriage licence.

Don't understand what point you are trying to prove, both things are wrong and illegal. Are saying its RIGHT to do these things?

No, actually, they are not both illegal. It is not "illegal" to have sex outside of marriage, at least not in all states.
Also, the legality of it is irrelevant.
The POINT is that, despite of what I agree to in a contract, that does not change what RIGHTS I possess. I still own my body, and my rights over it can not be separated from that.

I can agree to, or not to do whatever I choose, that doesn't make my rights disappear. If I make an agreement with my wife not to get a tattoo, do you believe I magically loose the right to get a tattoo?

If I agree to not speak, does that mean my right to free speech has vanished?

If I do in fact OWN a copy of a song, which is what Andrew has said, then I possess all rights associated with ownership.
I can agree to not exercise those rights, and I can, in that agreement, also commit to consequences should I break that agreement. However that has no bearing on whether or not I still have those rights, it only has bearing on what I have agreed to, or not to, do.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 16:16, tomsk192 wrote:
Take a wild guess.

I honestly do not know. Individuals have different views, and I cannot speak to the views of each of the individuals involved in any sites which host torrents. Some may be opposed to IP law, some may actually be of the opinion that file sharing is wrong, but do it anyway. I am not them, so I don't know.

What is your point?

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 16:20, BatsMagic wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm just wondering if These sites share your views on IP?

I haven't had the time to check that out yet, but I will when I get home from work.

Maybe gdw doesn't care about it, but I'll bet that Blue Crown does!

And that is entirely up to them. I do not speak for them, we are individuals, and we each have our own views.
In the end, it does not seem to have done us any real harm, as, well, let's just say at least I have been very pleased with sales. As I said, people who value it will be willing to pay for it, despite it being available elsewhere.

tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Let me rephrase it, in very simple terms:

Do you feel your views on IP are consistent with the person or persons unknown who having purchased your release, The Möbius Switch, chose to share that material for free on the Internet?

If the answer is no, could you explain why?
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Good question Tom.

Glenn's response will be very telling in terms of the character of the man.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
bonesly
View Profile
Regular user
London
176 Posts

Profile of bonesly
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 16:23, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 16:12, bonesly wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, actually, they are not both illegal. It is not "illegal" to have sex outside of marriage, at least not in all states.
Also, the legality of it is irrelevant.
The POINT is that, despite of what I agree to in a contract, that does not change what RIGHTS I possess. I still own my body, and my rights over it can not be separated from that.

I can agree to, or not to do whatever I choose, that doesn't make my rights disappear. If I make an agreement with my wife not to get a tattoo, do you believe I magically loose the right to get a tattoo?

If I agree to not speak, does that mean my right to free speech has vanished?

If I do in fact OWN a copy of a song, which is what Andrew has said, then I possess all rights associated with ownership.
I can agree to not exercise those rights, and I can, in that agreement, also commit to consequences should I break that agreement. However that has no bearing on whether or not I still have those rights, it only has bearing on what I have agreed to, or not to, do.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Once you have entered an agreement you have assigned all your RIGHTS to copy any material on that CD. So NO based on your agreement you no longer have those rights to copy.

Whether you choose to ignore your agreement is irrelevant and illegal.

And you cannot just ignore the Law that is the only common ground we can base our morals on, otherwise everyone would just go about doing whatever they felt like doing and we would have a dysfunctional society.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
You're just arguing semantics now. Do I think you have the RIGHT to? No? Do the courts think you have the RIGHT to? No. Do IP lawyers, record companies, publishing houses, movie studios, and a countless number of artists think you have the RIGHT to? No. I work in the entertainment industry, I deal with this stuff every single day. Trust me when I tell you that the people in my industry, myself included, do not believe you completely own a CD or a movie when you buy it. Why don't you try taking a camera into a movie theater and recording the whole thing? Go ahead, give that a shot and see how the management responds. I'll be interested in their response when you claim that you bought a ticket and therefore own the "right" to do whatever you want with the movie. It's illegal for a reason.

Then again you're the guy who's against laws and government in general so I can't expect you to understand what the hard working people in this industry have known for decades. We create the material, and it's OUR right to tell you what you can and can't do with it. Your problem is you want the material and the free reign to do what you please with it. Sorry, doesn't work that way. Maybe one day you'll grow up and understand what the rest of us are talking about, but I won't hold my breath.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 16:30, tomsk192 wrote:
Let me rephrase it, in very simple terms:

Do you feel your views on IP are consistent with the person or persons unknown who having purchased your release, The Möbius Switch, chose to share that material for free on the Internet?

If the answer is no, could you explain why?

People are individuals, so I have no clue as to the motives of an individual uploading a copy of Mobius Switch.
I'm not trying to avoid answering, or being intentionally obtuse.

I know for a fact that many people who have downloaded material, and uploaded material, support the the premise behind IP law.
I also know there are people who do the same, and do NOT support the premises behind IP law.
I honestly cannot tell you what position the majority hold. That's not me being naive. People do things for different reasons.

I know some have done it out of convenience, others out of spite for over priced products, others as a duck you to companies, or bands, etc, with whom they took issue over their actions, or policies.
I also know that people who actively fight for IP protectionism, while passing around files and torrents. Many of the big music and movie corporations have thousands downloaded files and torrents being passed around their offices, and not just by the employees. These are the people in charge of companies doing this. They similarly have, and use, plenty of similarly acquired computer programs.
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/02/h......try.html

So, my answer is, I don't know.

Perhaps you could just move on to your point?

tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I was hoping to lead you to a place where you see the point. Hope springs eternal.

It reminds me of Dorothy Parker's response when challenged to coin an epigram using the word "horticulture".

"You can lead a horticulture," she replied, "But you can't make her think."

Goodnight, gdw.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 16:46, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Good question Tom.

Glenn's response will be very telling in terms of the character of the man.

I was right.

Now I know everything I need to know.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Brian Brushwood's new book test (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..22..26..30..34..38..39~40~41 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL