We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Brian Brushwood's new book test (36 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..38~39~40~41 [Next]
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6992 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I understand why this is 27+ pages long. People are passionate about it. Both ways. Ethics are a very blurry line in Magic. I will try not to bash anyone, but wow. Some of these responses surprise me. The Craig Petty fiasco is done. Reparations were made. Believe me, the one who PAID for it is Craig. I do not hold him in contempt. He, like me, made mistakes. As such, I can throw NO stones.

Brian has his "magic world" he deals in. I will not deal in it. That's just me, though. Your mileage may vary. If you want to buy a Book Test from Brian, God bless ya. I can't afford it. As far as Mentalism goes, I feel I get MUCH more value from Bob Cassidy. Is Brian Brushwood a bad guy? Not for me to determine. Some of his actions sure make me angry. That's ME though. You may not agree. I respect that.

Doug
Calvin826
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Google: magic trick, guess a word from davinci code book

Fourth result: SAVE $450!! The Brian Brushwood Book Test |Scam Stuff

You guys are crazy to spend money on this, in my opinion. Instead, buy a set of Richard Osterlind DVD's and come up with your own 'un-google-able' version of one of his great effects. Heck- if you want, see if you can track down Jay Sankey's 22 Blows to the Head- there's tons of stuff on there that will inspire you to put away your wallet and start having fun.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1869 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I find it amusing that there are those who are unconcerned about Brian's exposure because "his footprint is so small," but become completely undone when contemplating a similar exposure of something they are using, purchased from this despicable exposer, resorting to ad hominem attacks such as "3-year-old" reasoning.

Perhaps it would be OK for Brian, himself, to expose his own booktest since there is no harm in his exposures? How would users of his booktest feel about that?
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3962 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2014, Ray Haining wrote:
I find it amusing that there are those who are unconcerned about Brian's exposure because "his footprint is so small," but become completely undone when contemplating a similar exposure of something they are using, purchased from this despicable exposer, resorting to ad hominem attacks such as "3-year-old" reasoning.

Perhaps it would be OK for Brian, himself, to expose his own booktest since there is no harm in his exposures? How would users of his booktest feel about that?

Yes, good point. I would like to see BB expose his own booktest on his show.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1869 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
It would be a win-win for BB. He could look at the posts here on the Café by purchasers of his booktest and think, "Hey, they're OK with my exposing tricks since my 'footprint is so small,' so they won't mind me exposing my own booktest. And no one can get mad at me since I created it. I think I'll do it (after I sell a few more, though)."

If you think he wouldn't do it, think again. This is the man who exposed a trick (the ID) used with great success by thousands of magicians worldwide. And everyone who purchased his booktest has said they're OK with his exposures (he's got really tiny feet, remember?). So, from his point of view, why not? No harm, right?
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1172 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Actually Ray, I didn't come undone at all by the idea. Heck, if it makes anyone feel better, I'll gladly post up dates of my next corporate gigs and y'all can find a friend in that state and have them come expose the booktest. I don't worry about that. Stop putting words in my mouth and speaking for me.

So, to reiterate....nobody wants an actual review of the booktest itself? If not, I will exit stage right and ponder why this thread is in a review forum and not Right and Wrong.

BTW, if Brian exposes his booktest on his own show, it would not stop me from using it. Just like the others who exposed ID years before Brushwood did not stop me from using an ID in my comedy club act. It just made me look for a better method and I finally settled on one that allowed me to give the deck away each show and challenge anybody who thought they knew about an ID figure out how it was just a regular old deck of cards. I'm happier now that I don't have to rely on a gaffed deck.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. Some of you have made valid points. Others like Jamie who makes the mistaken assumption I do magic for financial goals couldn't be further from the truth. But live and learn.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10643 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2014, Michael Dustman wrote:
Duly noted saysold. While I will agree to disagree with you on this thread, I will say that I do value your insight and thoughts on many other threads in the Penny section as well as the Pro Mystic forums. You make more sense than others. Hopefully we will find common ground on other threads. On this one, it is what it is.

What I actually meant to convey is that even though many including me find BB's actions and exposures distasteful (same initals as me - yikes!) it would not make it right to expose his book test as we would be lowering ourselves to his poor standards.

As a fantasy - yes it would be satisfying to give a taste of his medicine.

In any event I'm not part of his audience and would never pay for his stuff regardless of quality or price.

Frankly its predictable that many of those who have spent so much $$$ on this "exclusive" set of books would say it beats the others - its common when one has a significant investment to defend the purchase and also project an air of quality over what they paid for.

But I would suggest that in the yes of the lay public, they would likely perceive nearly any of the many book test methods (Hoy, MOABT, Booked, etc) to be equally fair and quite amazing - and that is really all that matters.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1172 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Fair point saysold1, and thank you for that. Quite honestly, I agree with you that any book test could fool any of the lay public regardless of the price. I have many book tests I have acquired over the years that play just as stunning. My reasoning for wanting to acquire this one was because it fit a very specific theme for a one man play I was writing and building around an old movie theater converted to a stage. So, I liked the tie-in to three very notable movies and that the audience member could read through the book and recognize any character or scene if they had read or seen the movie. But, I could just as well have written a similar storyline using one of my many other book tests. For me, this was preferable. (And while we are at it, for anybody who is interested, y'all should check out Eric Samuels White Box. It solves a key issue that comes up in many book tests and has been a tremendous solution for me).
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6992 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I value the insight of each and every one of you! You all bring something different to the table! We don't always agree, and that is a GOOD thing! If you are happy with Brian's book test, and you have the cash to buy it, how can I slam you? Ya paid ya's bucks and ya happy! Win-win!

If you are using "something purchased from this despicable exposer", and you are getting your $$$ worth, and it IS good? Yeah, I might not buy it, or recommend it. But this is America! You are free to do this! I actually have more contempt for Bruce Nash. He started the whole "Masked Magician" thing. There is a guy we should go after. Valentino and Mitch Pileggi were merely puppets, PAID by him.

Doug
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1869 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2014, Michael Dustman wrote:

Stop putting words in my mouth and speaking for me.

Show me where I put words in your mouth and was speaking for you.

Feeling guilty? Because when I referred to those who "become completely undone," I was referring to the person who accused me of having a "3-year-old mentality" for suggesting the booktest be exposed.

I don't believe you when you say you don't care if it's exposed. You know it is unlikely because it is so expensive (I have no idea how much it costs). But BB could, and I hope he does.

And so quit accusing me of something (putting words in your mouth and speaking for you) I didn't do.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3962 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2014, Michael Dustman wrote:
Duly noted saysold. While I will agree to disagree with you on this thread, I will say that I do value your insight and thoughts on many other threads in the Penny section as well as the Pro Mystic forums. You make more sense than others. Hopefully we will find common ground on other threads. On this one, it is what it is.

What I actually meant to convey is that even though many including me find BB's actions and exposures distasteful (same initals as me - yikes!) it would not make it right to expose his book test as we would be lowering ourselves to his poor standards.

As a fantasy - yes it would be satisfying to give a taste of his medicine.

In any event I'm not part of his audience and would never pay for his stuff regardless of quality or price.

Frankly its predictable that many of those who have spent so much $$$ on this "exclusive" set of books would say it beats the others - its common when one has a significant investment to defend the purchase and also project an air of quality over what they paid for.

But I would suggest that in the yes of the lay public, they would likely perceive nearly any of the many book test methods (Hoy, MOABT, Booked, etc) to be equally fair and quite amazing - and that is really all that matters.

Well said, so true.

I do some of the strongest book tests with any borrowed book and the audience impact is just as strong, if not stronger. Frequently, magicians think difficult or more complicated is always better. It's not. If someone has $400 to blow in support of a scumbag, go ahead, it's a free country. As Johnny Carson might say: "May your booktest be infested with a thousand camel lice."

KJ
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10643 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Any more actual reviews on this mishagas?

Is it that ground breaking for the $$$?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Gross
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
318 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2016, saysold1 wrote:
Any more actual reviews on this mishagas?

Is it that ground breaking for the $$$?

Mishagas - ha ha ! Great usage!
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
612 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2013, FrenchDrop wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-10 00:28, Hypnotic1 wrote:
Actually copyright allows modification of books

I believe your understanding of copyright law -- and that of the attorney BB consulted -- is seriously flawed. I'm open to being shown where copyright law allows for altering and reselling someone else's intellectual property without getting permission from them or the publisher -- but I'm not going to hold my breath while I wait for that.

I guess I can assume the answers to my questions are that BB has not gotten permission to alter and sell these books, nor is he compensating their copyright holders for his commercial use of their intellectual property.

They got their compensation when he bought their products. Do you think Cubby Broccoli sought permission from Aston Martin to modify 007s car?

I think that Hypnotic is spot on with the legals on this one. It could also be argued that he is actually selling a second hand, used copy of the book, albeit in the guise of a much more expensive magic trick.
Use the FORCE Luke.
Rik Gazelle
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
130 Posts

Profile of Rik Gazelle
Quote:
Do you think Cubby Broccoli sought permission from Aston Martin to modify 007s car?

Sorry to burst your bubble but - from the DB5's first appearence in Goldfinger through to its latest in Spectre - Aston Martin has been actively involved in the use and promotion of its vehicles in Bond films.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
612 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2018, Rik Gazelle wrote:
Quote:
Do you think Cubby Broccoli sought permission from Aston Martin to modify 007s car?

Sorry to burst your bubble but - from the DB5's first appearence in Goldfinger through to its latest in Spectre - Aston Martin has been actively involved in the use and promotion of its vehicles in Bond films.

thanks Rik, I did not know that (obviously), so I picked a bad example, but I stand by my point, which is this-Broccoli could have bought the car and done what ever the hell he wanted, with no permission needed.

Here,s another example...i buy a copy of "The Satanic Verses" and I hollow out the middle to hide cash or a Rolex (OR as A VANISH OR SWITCH BOX), then I sell it for that purpose, as long as I am not claiming to have written it I am breaking no copyright law.
Use the FORCE Luke.
Rik Gazelle
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
130 Posts

Profile of Rik Gazelle
I am not sure that I agree. Some brands can be very protective of their image and any undue prominence of them in a movie could be in violation of trademark or intellectual property usage. Also many books have conditions in them that prevent or limit resale so I am not sure that you would be legally entitled to sell a repurposed copy.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
612 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2018, Rik Gazelle wrote:
I am not sure that I agree. Some brands can be very protective of their image and any undue prominence of them in a movie could be in violation of trademark or intellectual property usage. Also many books have conditions in them that prevent or limit resale so I am not sure that you would be legally entitled to sell a repurposed copy.

Can you name such a book Rik?
Use the FORCE Luke.
Rik Gazelle
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
130 Posts

Profile of Rik Gazelle
Well, just picking a random book off the shelf and "The Satanic Verses" by Salmon Rushdie is one such book Smile

Seriously, many books I have (including "The Satanic Verses") contain similar clauses limiting resale under different bindings or covers. I am not a legal expert but if you repackaged a book (especially if you included additional materials such as instructions etc) then that could constitute a new cover or binding in a strictly legal sense. Personally I think that you would be on a sticky wicket.

I am not saying that my interpretation is correct or that yours is wrong but I do think it is a lot more complex than being able to buy something and then doing what ever you want with it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Brian Brushwood's new book test (36 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..38~39~40~41 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL