The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Brian Brushwood (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1101 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
[quote]On 2013-03-07 18:51, Stucky wrote:

Quote:
Lets stop posting about this idiot Brushwood & start praying he sets himself alight with his fire eating.

And I hope you get cancer... AND DIE! (That doesn't feel good does it? Think before you drink.)

Lol. At least I don't already look dead. Now run along little freak boy.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1346 Posts

Profile of Stucky
[quote]On 2013-03-08 04:30, Russell Davidson wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-07 18:51, Stucky wrote:

Quote:
Lets stop posting about this idiot Brushwood & start praying he sets himself alight with his fire eating.

And I hope you get cancer... AND DIE! (That doesn't feel good does it? Think before you drink.)

Lol. At least I don't already look dead. Now run along little freak boy.

These colors don't run. It's too dark I'd bump into something. Smile
Official Thread Killer
Corriveau
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Corriveau
[quote]On 2013-03-07 14:56, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Personally I find the guy to be one of the most obnoxious things on the Internet. I don't care what he's rambling on about - I watched about 30 seconds of a video and shut the thing off, not because of the material but because of the fool presenting it.
[/quote

He's even more obnoxious on stage. Clearly someone with an overblown ego.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2013-03-08 07:01, Stucky wrote:
These colors don't run. It's too dark I'd bump into something. Smile

Plus, you might be eaten by a grue.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1817 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I have no idea what L&S stands for.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-03-08 04:30, Russell Davidson wrote:

And I hope you get cancer... AND DIE!

Actually......that works in reverse.

You have to be careful with incantations. They tend to backfire if not worded properly.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2667 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Probably Brushwood couldn't get a real career going and this is all he has...
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On 2013-03-08 12:40, Ray Haining wrote:

It's something about male genitalia.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-03-07 11:33, Matt Adams wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-07 00:32, Paul Rathbun wrote:
I guess my point was in my mind there isn't much difference between Brushwood and the pitch person. They are both selling secrets for money essentially on stuff that is not theirs to give away.

Here's my thoughts on this. The method of selling the secret makes all the difference. The pitchman is selling to an INDIVIDUAL. However, Brushwood exposed ID not to individuals, but the masses who didn't pay for the effect. Not only did it reach more people (and create more exposure), but those people didn't have to invest anything into the effect and are thus less inclined to understand the inherent nature of the secret of magic.

Whether we like it or not, the ID is certainly in public domain as no one is able to claim rights to this effect. I'm not debating here what is and what isn't public domain right now. The point is that the secret belongs to "all" the magicians and not just one.

SO in that sense it's not respectful of our art, our fellow performers, and our audience to reveal a secret that is not solely ours to share. If someone wants to reveal a trick they created that is exclusive to them, then that's one thing. But naturally that doesn't typically happen! It's guys who have NO RIGHT to a trick who feel they can ruin it for everyone else for the sake of "challenging people to create better magic." Are you serious?! Why don't YOU create the better magic rather than to reveal secrets that other people have worked hard to create and protect? It's because these exposers are LAZY and want to take an easy way to fame (I'm thinking more masked magician than Brushwood as I have yet to see Brushwood perform anything.).

And that is my primary issue with the exposure of guys like the masked magician (and in this case, Brushwood).

Now that I've been around the block a few times, I don't really think it will hurt magic in the long run. We just have to keep adapting. I'm not saying it doesn't hurt magic though...it does. But exposure won't KILL magic. Smile

I COMPLETELY disagree with your initial premise. The pitchman is trying to sell it to as MANY people as POSSIBLE. He just has a rather inefficient business model.
Information is continually become more easily available, in ALL fields, and yes, that means people who want to learn something do not have to put in as much effort into finding the information. They still have to put in SOME effort, just actually LOOKING in the first place, along with the (even little) time it takes to watch.

So, in the end, Brushwood simply has a much better, more efficient, business model.

As for what "secrets" they have a "right" to share, if you (legitimately) possess information, then that information is yours to do with what you wish.
If I tell you something, I have given you that information, and it is now yours to do with as you wish.

I'm not saying it's "respectful" for you to do whatever you like, just that you CAN, and that I made the information available in the first place.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Yeah the whole " I hope you get cancer and did comment is kinda insulting to those who have been through it and battled it !
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On 2013-03-08 14:16, writeall wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-08 12:40, Ray Haining wrote:

It's something about male genitalia.

That's about the long and short of it.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
I'm a big magic fan. And honestly, I have no idea who Brian Brushwood is.

He's not on tv as far as I know. He uploads exposure stuff to youtube? And now he is trying to sell a trick?

Sounds pretty typical. Every so often some cracked-out kid comes spinning through magic making a lot of noise like he's an expert on something. They either spike up their hair, have obnoxious tattoos or are somehow associated with the "underground" or the "real work". But they're just low-grade con men who see the magicians as their mark. Several are probably coming to mind as you read this.

He's just another one.

DD

PS. This is the future of magic.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1817 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Cancer is nothing to joke about. Having witnessed it firsthand, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I do think this Brushwood character is despicable, though.
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Very true ray. And wether I like him or not. What happened to the no flaming rule?
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
Although I didn't make the comment, it should be pointed out that the cancer comment was to make a point about a previous tasteless comment relating to Brian being burned alive.

I guess I'm the only one who noticed that.

The original comment about being burned was in poor taste. And I'm no prude.

I happen to know someone who was burned alive. How does that relate? Just the facts please.

DD
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
826 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2013-03-08 14:55, gdw wrote:
I COMPLETELY disagree with your initial premise. The pitchman is trying to sell it to as MANY people as POSSIBLE. He just has a rather inefficient business model.
So, in the end, Brushwood simply has a much better, more efficient, business model.

Meh...the point is that Brushwood is selling to a network knowing they will share the information with the "public" versus a pitchman who sells to individuals IN the public. Obviously a pitchman would LOVE to sell a deck to every person in the room...but even so in that way it would cost EVERY person something (more than time). This is different than watching on TV or the internet...would you not agree?

Quote:
As for what "secrets" they have a "right" to share, if you (legitimately) possess information, then that information is yours to do with what you wish. If I tell you something, I have given you that information, and it is now yours to do with as you wish. I'm not saying it's "respectful" for you to do whatever you like, just that you CAN, and that I made the information available in the first place.

Try that in all cases of information you possess...you'll end up in prison. lol. You have restrictions placed on you by governmental laws, social pressures, internal conscience, religious beliefs, etc. I agree you CAN do whatever you want, but you and I both agree there will certainly be consequences for doing "anything" you like with the information at your disposal!

In this case, Brian is certainly earning the spite of many working magicians who use an ID in their work. He's hurting the pitchman (who is selling secrets and not just trick decks - once the secret is out, why buy the deck?), and also the public (who don't REALLY want to know how something is done - regardless of how much they beg and plead).

All around bad mojo IMO

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2043 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Guys, I don't agree with Brushwood exposing the ID on a mass video. However, do you really, honestly believe it's going to affect the lives and acts of regular working magicians? I've done the ID probably 20 times on stage since he exposed it. No one, other than magicians, have said the words "Brian Brushwood", "Scam School", or "Invisible Deck" to me.

But keep talking about it on a publicly accessible forum (Magic Café) and just maybe Google will pick up on it. Then it'll get even more attention!
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
826 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2013-03-08 16:29, BrianMillerMagic wrote:
Guys, I don't agree with Brushwood exposing the ID on a mass video. However, do you really, honestly believe it's going to affect the lives and acts of regular working magicians? I've done the ID probably 20 times on stage since he exposed it. No one, other than magicians, have said the words "Brian Brushwood", "Scam School", or "Invisible Deck" to me.

But keep talking about it on a publicly accessible forum (Magic Café) and just maybe Google will pick up on it. Then it'll get even more attention!

I agree with this guy ^^^

I dunno how "mad" everyone is about it (some VERY mad, apparently). I think it was wrong, we'll have others who try to get famous by doing the same things, and life (and magic) will go on.

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-03-08 16:19, Matt Adams wrote:
Quote:

Meh...the point is that Brushwood is selling to a network knowing they will share the information with the "public" versus a pitchman who sells to individuals IN the public. Obviously a pitchman would LOVE to sell a deck to every person in the room...but even so in that way it would cost EVERY person something (more than time). This is different than watching on TV or the internet...would you not agree?

Quote:
As for what "secrets" they have a "right" to share, if you (legitimately) possess information, then that information is yours to do with what you wish. If I tell you something, I have given you that information, and it is now yours to do with as you wish. I'm not saying it's "respectful" for you to do whatever you like, just that you CAN, and that I made the information available in the first place.

Try that in all cases of information you possess...you'll end up in prison. lol. You have restrictions placed on you by governmental laws, social pressures, internal conscience, religious beliefs, etc. I agree you CAN do whatever you want, but you and I both agree there will certainly be consequences for doing "anything" you like with the information at your disposal!

In this case, Brian is certainly earning the spite of many working magicians who use an ID in their work. He's hurting the pitchman (who is selling secrets and not just trick decks - once the secret is out, why buy the deck?), and also the public (who don't REALLY want to know how something is done - regardless of how much they beg and plead).

All around bad mojo IMO

First, I would argue there is a difference, and it's actually that the pitchman is almost exclusively targeting laymen, where as Scam School is being watched by people who, by the very act it watching, have shown an interest in the subject material, and learning it.
Not saying the pitchman's audience isn't showing interest, but he isn't targeting "magicians," where as Brushwood's show is geared towards people interested on performing what he teaches.

Also, it's up to the supplier to chooser their price, and those providing the demand to decide of if they want uk accept that price. In other words, why do you get to choose what price is acceptable?

As for information, the law is irrelevant. The question is whether or not you have a right to use that which you possess. "Illegal" and "immoral" are two VERY different things. Sadly, the law usually has little to nothing to do with what is right or wrong.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2043 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
There are 54,000 registered members of The Magic Café, and already 1500 views in this thread that isn't even two pages. All of you who are worried about exposure? This is a PUBLIC forum with the same potential numbers as Brushwood has on YouTube, via Google searching. You're doing the exact same thing that he did: drawing attention to a major secret in a public forum. And yet... only magicians care.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Brian Brushwood (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL