The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Brian Brushwood (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Lastly, with regard to "hurting" the pitchman, it's called competition. The pitchman is also "hurt" by anyone who provides the same products for less than him. He's also "hurt" by people who are better at selling.

You can't "steal" sales from someone by providing an alternative. Burger King isn't "stealing" from McDonald's, nor is a charity "stealing" from them when they are giving away food for free.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
826 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2013-03-08 16:34, gdw wrote:
First, I would argue there is a difference, and it's actually that the pitchman is almost exclusively targeting laymen, where as Scam School is being watched by people who, by the very act it watching, have shown an interest in the subject material, and learning it.
Not saying the pitchman's audience isn't showing interest, but he isn't targeting "magicians," where as Brushwood's show is geared towards people interested on performing what he teaches.

Now that's a good point there...didn't think about Brian's "target" audience. It's actually not the public at large (such as the Masked Moron).
(Obviously still rather him not expose...but you got a point there.)

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1345 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Don is correct. I was making a point about another comment that was equally as harmful and ridiculous. Wishing permanent harm on someone over something like exposure of a card trick is a bit over the top and if he saw that would likely not appreciate it.

Quote:
On 2013-03-08 16:05, Don Dasher wrote:
Although I didn't make the comment, it should be pointed out that the cancer comment was to make a point about a previous tasteless comment relating to Brian being burned alive.

I guess I'm the only one who noticed that.

The original comment about being burned was in poor taste. And I'm no prude.

I happen to know someone who was burned alive. How does that relate? Just the facts please.

DD
Official Thread Killer
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1774 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
BrianMillerMagic makes a good point. I, for one, am going to stop posting on anything that mentions his name, unless, of course, it is to join others in lamenting the fact that he has been elected president of the American Society of Magicians. If you think it couldn't happen, look at the career of Penn and Teller, the king and originators of this exposure stuff, who are now respectable and honored members of the magical community.
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
I wouldn't compare Brushwood to Penn and Teller as much as I would compare him to someone else nobody liked for a long time...

Hitler. I would compare Brian Brushwood to Adolf Hitler.

DD
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2013-03-08 20:02, Don Dasher wrote:
I wouldn't compare Brushwood to Penn and Teller as much as I would compare him to someone else nobody liked for a long time...

DD

See BB's BT thread... I knew it... I knew it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Now THAT was a prediction Smile
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-03-08 17:07, Matt Adams wrote:
Quote:
First, I would argue there is a difference, and it's actually that the pitchman is almost exclusively targeting laymen, where as Scam School is being watched by people who, by the very act it watching, have shown an interest in the subject material, and learning it.
Not saying the pitchman's audience isn't showing interest, but he isn't targeting "magicians," where as Brushwood's show is geared towards people interested on performing what he teaches.

Now that's a good point there...didn't think about Brian's "target" audience. It's actually not the public at large (such as the Masked Moron).

Wow, thanks. Sorry, that's just incredible to see, especially in an online discussion, lol.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
826 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2013-03-08 20:26, gdw wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow, thanks. Sorry, that's just incredible to see, especially in an online discussion, lol.

LOL. I know some folks argue just to argue. But that's incredibly foolish if you ask me. It's extremely unlikely that the "other side" has NO valid points. How ludicrous (and arrogant) to think we have the all the answers! You are also right, unfortunately, in that this is very rare online. But it's also rare in "real life" - people just don't want to say "You're right"

But they should! Heck, the moment I find out something I'm believing isn't quite spot-on, I'm changing that to follow Truth. Smile

Unfortunately, Truth is hard for many people to recognize. :-P

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-03-09 08:27, Matt Adams wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LOL. I know some folks argue just to argue. But that's incredibly foolish if you ask me. It's extremely unlikely that the "other side" has NO valid points. How ludicrous (and arrogant) to think we have the all the answers! You are also right, unfortunately, in that this is very rare online. But it's also rare in "real life" - people just don't want to say "You're right"

But they should! Heck, the moment I find out something I'm believing isn't quite spot-on, I'm changing that to follow Truth. Smile

That is such a wonderful, and refreshing attitude to see, and you're roht, sadly seen rarely in real life too.
It can be wonderful to change your mind.

Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3642 Posts

I never change my mind.

Actually, yes I do.
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1763 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On 2013-03-09 11:01, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
I never change my mind.

Actually, yes I do.

This is idea of Jamie's humour

Predictable !
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3642 Posts

As is JackMagic's nonsensical sentence construction.
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
LOL. Maybe he just didn't think you were worth arguing with.

DD

Quote:
On 2013-03-09 11:00, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-09 08:27, Matt Adams wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That is such a wonderful, and refreshing attitude to see, and you're roht, sadly seen rarely in real life too.
It can be wonderful to change your mind.
©NathanaelBergenMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Warszawa, Poland
105 Posts

Profile of ©NathanaelBergenMagic
Quote:

Godwin's Law. You're done here; move along.

So, only 3 pages in, and I've already had to endure someone making light of cancer (my mother has cancer, fyi - and I'm sure I'm not the only one with a connection) and someone saying that Brushwood revealing the ID is bad enough that he should be compared to being Hitler (take notice of my location, you'll see why I'm offended).

I've seen a lot of threads around here go on much longer than they should have - this is definitely one of them.
The OP got his answer; it should have ended there. And now the more comments and replies on here only make this thread more and more worthless.

Before commenting further, read this:

Quote:
On 2013-03-08 16:38, BrianMillerMagic wrote:
There are 54,000 registered members of The Magic Café, and already 1500 views in this thread that isn't even two pages. All of you who are worried about exposure? This is a PUBLIC forum with the same potential numbers as Brushwood has on YouTube, via Google searching. You're doing the exact same thing that he did: drawing attention to a major secret in a public forum. And yet... only magicians care.

Then do yourself a favour, and just turn elsewhere. There's nothing to see here besides grumpy ol' men making horribly tasteless jokes and others bickering over 'ethics'.

I'm just as upset about Brushwood revealing the ID - but posting here, and raising this threads "Googlibility", is only doing more harm than good.

(Bear in mind, when Googling the names of magic effects, the Café is usually the first in the list of results - and most of the time, there's plenty of reveal going on. This thread will suffer the same fate - stop adding to it.)

Dobranoc.
"Oh, you have an opinion? Let me delete that for you." ~ the magic cafe
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3642 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-03-09 17:12, ©NathanaelBergenMagic wrote:
Quote:

So, only 3 pages in, and I've already had to endure someone making light of cancer (my mother has cancer, fyi - and I'm sure I'm not the only one with a connection) and someone saying that Brushwood revealing the ID is bad enough that he should be compared to being Hitler (take notice of my location, you'll see why I'm offended).

I've seen a lot of threads around here go on much longer than they should have - this is definitely one of them.
The OP got his answer; it should have ended there. And now the more comments and replies on here only make this thread more and more worthless.

Quote:
There are 54,000 registered members of The Magic Café, and already 1500 views in this thread that isn't even two pages. All of you who are worried about exposure? This is a PUBLIC forum with the same potential numbers as Brushwood has on YouTube, via Google searching. You're doing the exact same thing that he did: drawing attention to a major secret in a public forum. And yet... only magicians care.

Then do yourself a favour, and just turn elsewhere. There's nothing to see here besides grumpy ol' men making horribly tasteless jokes and others bickering over 'ethics'.

I'm just as upset about Brushwood revealing the ID - but posting here, and raising this threads "Googlibility", is only doing more harm than good.

(Bear in mind, when Googling the names of magic effects, the Café is usually the first in the list of results - and most of the time, there's plenty of reveal going on. This thread will suffer the same fate - stop adding to it.)

Dobranoc.

:applause:

Listen to Dobranoc folks.The guy talks sense.

Time to move along now. Nothing to see here.
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
826 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
But just for the sake of arguing (which I never do? haha, yeah right...), aren't we prolonging a stupid thread by commenting "move along" over and over?

Nevermind...We're done. Move along.

writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
So talking about the ID in this thread is on par with the youtube video we've been talking about? Have you seen that video?

The only difference between what I know in magic and what a raw punter knows is that I took the time or spent the money to find things out. That's it. The value comes from the difficulty and the effort expended. Maybe it was tracking down a book in a library or paying to attend a convention -- some barrier to separate the casually curious from the serious.

So, yeah, putting it on Youtube is too easy. It's as easy as showing someone "how it works" right after you've shown the effect.

I don't demand CIA-level secrecy. All I want is to make things a little bit hard. All "exposure" isn't equivalent. Not by a mile.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-03-09 17:12, ©NathanaelBergenMagic wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Dobranoc.

Actually, no one was making light of cancer. The post which brought cancer was doing so to point out the wrong in wishing harm, as done by a previous poster, whom most seem to have completely ignored in favour of taking the cancer reference completely out of context.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Brian Brushwood (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL