The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Drilled Dime and penny (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Saw this in a lecture years ago and have made my own, but wonder if anyone markets a version? Coins have hole drilled in center, threaded onto a string/cord/shoelace, spectator ties ends, coins placed in specs closed hand with tied ends hanging out. Spec asked to pick dime or penny? Open hand to reveal chosen coin either only one still on cord or only one magically released from cord. Would be good in larger coin versions too. Any info appreciated.
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea I have seen this around Some time back! But I not sure if anyone Is marking It now or not!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Mark Mason has an effect using a similar, if not the same, concept. Coins used are a US half dollar and quarter. Rather than use a locking coin set like the Dime and Penny however, the effect uses a coin unique concept. Here's a link to it: http://www.jbtvusa.com/j-b-coin-tricks/h......-502.php

Thanks!

Jim
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2013-03-07 23:00, J-Mac wrote:
Mark Mason has an effect using a similar, if not the same, concept. Coins used are a US half dollar and quarter. Rather than use a locking coin set like the Dime and Penny however, the effect uses a coin unique concept. Here's a link to it: http://www.jbtvusa.com/j-b-coin-tricks/h......-502.php

This really looks like a miracle in person.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Thanks, his version sounds awesome and even more deceptive. Although drilling a dime/penny is certainly a less expensive alternative! But I'm sure coming from Mark Mason, it's worth every penny of $100.
starscream
View Profile
New user
somerdale NJ
10 Posts

Profile of starscream
Its a neat trick.Kinda of expensive.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Yeah, especially considering I ruined mine about three weeks after I purchased it! Smile

Jim
CAPTAIN BEYOND
View Profile
New user
Beloit,Wisconsin
60 Posts

Profile of CAPTAIN BEYOND
Hey Stephon,this sounds like a trick I have called"Dime Off"by royal magic.I bought it from my local magic store for $13.00.Works Great.Same principle as Dime and Penny.FUN INC.out of Chicago sells it,but I'm not sure if they just sell to magic dealers or the public.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Viking/CW makes a nice inexpensive version of this trick called Dime-Out.

Julie
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Other than Mark Mason's, is this different from "Coin Off Ribbon" plus Equivoque?
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
How timely that you brought up this question. As Jim mentioned, Mason's routine is the perfect solution for your need and it's much more automatic with no need to do anything in a closed hand. If you look at the last posting in this section of the forum, it was by me on this exact topic. FYI, Mark can customize coins to whatever you need, although he will admirably draw the line on selling you anything that doesn't meet up to his high standards.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Thanks everyone! I found it in Vikings store for $18, and Royal does only sell to dealers; but it's on their site. I think there are advantages to using a dime and penny for the effect, because if you were going to ruin coins for real; you'd probably go as cheap as possible. The higher the denomination goes, the more suspect it might be viewed.

Thanks gmsmagic1: I found the thread you speak of, and also commented on it. Great info folks, you've made my day! Blessings.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I had asked about this years ago - I wanted a set that looked normal (not drilled thru American coins)

Mason's Hung Drawn Quartered has gotten good reviews, but what is the rationale for drilling a hole through coins?

disk escape by Kries, uses colored disks (looks a bit "cheesy" to me)
Miracle Discs, ~$10, is what I bought, are small brass disks. I don't remember where I got them, maybe eBay
Magic Warehouse used to have a half off a ribbon, that I think employs a similar method

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Was wondering can you spin the dime and penny on the cord like on Mark Mason's video and have them go together.

Leo Jr.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Sounds like something I had long ago as well. I used to love these little tricks from the old magic shops. Not too expensive but yet still quite amazing. Smile And yeah, a quite a bit more expensive, but I can see the newer Mark Mason take of the basic old idea allows for some greater actions as to it nowadays.

*And hey Leo, you wouldn't be able to do that "spin" move with the Dime & Penny set the way Mark Mason does with his set, just a different way of making it all happen. Smile

Found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGoGnoLEOsc
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Mb217 Thanks for the answer I'm not a coin person so I stick to the gimmicked ones but I really enjoy your videos you are great. Watched your video REViSiTED - The MB Transpo PLUS and still can't believe someone can do that with out using real magic.

Leo Jr
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey thanks Leo, so glad you like my work, and I appreciate your kind comments here. Smile

Gaffed coins are nice to play with as well, I have a lot of them from over the years but nowadays more readily use regular coins to make my magic happen. "ReVisiTed" is one of my favorite coin effects to do for people. It's got a little of everything in it and I even use a much grander finale as to it now, so it POPS! even more. Smile

Coin Magic is a lot of fun, no matter gaffed or ungaffed coins. I haven't used dimes and or pennies in some time now but this old effect still sounds like a real winner. Smile

Thanks again for the good words...Oh, and yes, it sure feels like "real magic" whenever I do it. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
And y'know Leo, I'm not sure why coin magic grabbed me like it did? I like some card magic too but I guess like The great David Roth said to me recently when I mentioned his love of card magic, he said that he was just much better at coins. Smile

I like all sorta of closeup magic really and have done a lot of it from time to time over the years, but somehow keep coming back to coins as a favorite, and then especially when using SOH. Smile But I still have my old Nickel to Half Dollar gaff, the old Dime & Penny trick, the one with the red block, and my very old C/S coin from Johnson's, that I still use today in another one of my favorite tricks. Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Drilled Dime and penny (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL