The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hanging Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of cablerock
Hey! I've been working on my handling for Hanging Coins and I decided I would make the patter about "teaching" a coin trick. I know I have a lot of work to do, and I haven't actually written the script down yet, it's just off the top of my head, but please let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo8DaS3RTEI&feature=youtu.be
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Add some time misdirection between the placing of the coins in the fist and the revelation of its vanish (pantomime letting the coinn slide down to the fingertips as in the Al Schneider Vanish, or seem to jiggle the coin in your Open Ramsay Subtlety as for adjusting its position

Cause the vanish (other than using the other coins as fans: blow into -like Tommy Wonder- or on the "holding" fist or (better) extended fingers seemingly holding the coin after it was allowed to allegedly slide down to the fingertips

Buy Garrett Thomas DVD to let the last coin vanish before reproducing the coins.

... and, yes, do write a sript that does not describe what your hands are doing

Otherwise, it's good. Now that you have done 40% of the work (technique) satisfactorily, come back in a while to delight us with a full personal version of the routine.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of cablerock
Thank you Lawrence! The advise is much appreciated.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8846 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Rock, loved it man. Smile You are really getting good at the moves, and the little presentation works for me as well. Looked good. Smile Proud of you, man. Smile

Now, of course everything that Etienne just said here will work to give what you're doing depth and body, and you're already doing it quite good to my eye. But texture as to this effect will refine it even more. The use of a few subtleties as mentioned will make this killer behind what you're already doing.

Again, good stuff. Keep moving forward with it my friend, you're on the right road. Smile And focus on some of the things that Etienne suggested here. It's like adding in a little sugar to the mix -- Mmmm, Mmmmm, Good! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2956 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Looks really good to me. What was your starting point?

I only know the Roth Hanging Coins and a couple of Curtis Kam's, one not so difficult, one really really difficult, and both very magical.
I j
Jac -dutch-
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands,
173 Posts

Profile of Jac -dutch-
Looks clean to me! Well done mate!
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
Cablerock,
What makes this have that Magical feel is the fact you are ambidextrous. This makes it look so natural.
Excellent, impressive routine, thanks for sharing.
JMN
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of cablerock
Thank you for the kind words.

In case you wanted to know, my intention for filming this video was to watch my own reaction to the coins disappearing. I

As for my starting point, I have studied Roth's hanging coins the most, and I own and have gone over Harbottle's version from Coins on Edge a few times, but I haven't gotten that down all the way yet. I think I applied the principles and some handlings from Coins on Edge rather than copied the routine.

I just worked from there and started experimenting with handlings I liked and didn't like. If anyone has questions about particular things I did, just let me know.

My own personal goal from this video was to record this trick several times, and experiment with how I reacted to the coins disappearing. I learned a lot about timing from doing this, and I figured this one was solid enough to share.
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
You got some great advice on enhancing this great effect. The slower you can make the coins vanish in between just helps to blow away any customers or magicians that think they know how it's done...beautiful work..
Bill
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of cablerock
Thanks again for all of the help. I have been working on this, and feel that it will be very strong soon. I have also gotten an idea for a table version of this routine. The only difference would be the vanishes.

Funny story. I was on my way home today on the bus and an old Hispanic woman sat next to me. I had my 4 silver dollars in my hand, and had been just practicing my palms when I decided to try something. I wasn't sure if she was looking but I made one vanish (making sure she couldn't see it at her extreme angle), and looked surprised. I vanished a second coin and could see her in my pereferal vision look at me and do the Sign of the Cross. Smiling, I vanished the last coins and quietly palmed them until I had to get off the bus.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
FWIW the starting point for the trick is John Ramsay's Three Coins in the Hat routine. The section after three coins are produced has a running gag where two of the three coins are put hung up invisibly and the third dropped into the hat. Two coins are produced from midair and the third magically extracted from the hat. After the third repeat all three coins vanish and are found in the hat. IMHO David Roth made sensible decisions showing around his EG handling using four coins and just one vanishing / appearing moment. Doing that demonstrated that his approach would work for the Ramsay tricks while offering a simpler or streamlined item for the next generation to work from / at.
:)
JonT
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6926 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Beautiful, Rock! Ya know, I haven't looked at the EG lately...this is good. I gotta work on that. Thanks for the inspiration! Smile

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hanging Coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL