The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » YouTube Demo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
I just uploaded a video of my stage illusion work. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTJcP8cyENM
mentalist25
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of mentalist25
I like it
good luck my friend
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
Thanks
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Very nice
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Can I ask are you using this fr advertising purposes?

I have to be honest ...... Can't see it increasing the bookings as it is, the sound quality was a big issue at my end (I am open to it being just my iPad as the other guys said it was good).

But I came away bothered by the audio quality and not recalling the illusions.......

Hope that helps.
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
Yes I agree the sound is not good. This is from different shows and different cameras. Do you think I should just put a music track as the sound? Thanks for the feed back.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Just as we hope that people would hire us as professional magicians instead of cousin Ernie, I would hope that we in turn would hire professional marketers instead of doing it ourselves (unless we happen to be trained and skilled in that area).

The camera work is not great, and the audio is truly terrible. Not saying this to be harsh or mean, but as a marketing tool, I would personally NEVER let this be seen in this state. Adding a music bed might make it slightly less irritating, but it won't make the footage any better.

On the two patter tricks we could not hear it at all to judge quality, so the tricks themselves are completely lost. Honestly, the tip trunk looks very dull, with nobody projecting any kind of personality or showmanship until you pop out. And the sub trunk is so blurry that it leaves plenty of room for confusion.

By all means it can be a very good thing to have a demo video, but unless it is top-notch you are not likely to have it result in a booking from someone who does not already know you and your work.

Videography is a deep and wide skill set, as is the art of magic. If you are not as willing to put in the many, many hours of studying, training and practicing as you would to learn a show's worth of sleights, moves, and routines, it is best left to those who do have those skills.

When shooting a video there is a saying; plan the shoot then shoot the plan. You need to have a solid idea of exactly what is to be included, then you have to execute that plan so that when it comes time to edit you have the shots that have been logically planned out to show you at your best. And of course capturing good audio is half the battle as well. We watch most videos as much with our ears as with our eyes.

If you're fortunate enough to have hours of great performance footage, then a montage can be constructed from that. But if the angle of the camera is wonky from the back of the room, or poorly handheld, then you're most often best advised to avoid using it.

Remember that YOU are the product, not your props. We need to see why YOU are the magician to hire. With your current video I'm afraid there's nothing to recommend you.

Again, I don't say any of this to be harsh, but there's alread a sea of mediocrity out there. We really don't need any more.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
2+ minutes is too long for most to watch, and not long enough for those who want to see a complete show. Audience reation should be included. Most of your footage shows you and a couple of volunteers and one shot shows an audience of 6 or so. Honestly, that is not very impressive. I agree that we should use professional camera shots, though I have not made that investment yet. I think this is a good first effort and you were wise to post it here for reactions and comments.
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
Thanks for the honest feedback. This footage is from a laptop webcam set on a desk, an android phone, and a unattended cheap camcorder on a tripod from 2011 and 2012. I put it together for facebook and my personal YouTube channel. I will be hiring a pro to follow me this year to gather quality footage at a few events. Thanks to all who took the time look at the video.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » YouTube Demo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL