The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Ambitious Classic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RobHollan3
View Profile
New user
Charleston, SC
2 Posts

Profile of RobHollan3
I've been working through "The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings" for the last several weeks, I've had it for 2 years and didn't go through it completely the first time so I've decided to go back and catch up on my reading. The Ambitious Classic stood out to me the first time I read through the book and it continues to be one of my favorites. What do you think of the effect and what are some of ya'lls favorite variations of the effect?
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1368 Posts

Profile of lynnef
ABSOLUTELY one of my favorites. I learned it from one of the Ammar L&L tapes; and he describes it both from the magician's and in some depth from the audience perspective. Very easy to set up from a full deck. Amazing little trick and BTW, welcome to the Café. Lynn
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Adding to Lynn's praise of this great effect. It is the "ACR" I use with a bit of a different kicker ending. I do the Ambitious Classic Variant found later in the book. I really think that Ambitious Classic is one of Jennings' greatest effects. The construction of the routine is so very tight and the built in convincers leave nothing to be desired. For another take on this plot, check out Chris Kenner's approach in Totally Out of Control. [I never knew the proper title for this strangely laid out book, so, it is also called Out of Control. Take your pick Smile ]

Namaste,
Vlad
martyjacobs
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1089 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
I think the Kenner trick is called "Five Speed", you can buy it as a video download at Theory11:

http://www.theory11.com/tricks/five-speed-chris-kenner.php

I like Larry's version, but Kenner's trick is great too.

Marty

P.S. More variations can be found here (of course):

http://archive.denisbehr.de/show.php?cat=1549
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
The real challenge here is not to find a great handling (there are several good ones; I'll stick to Jennings' original version), but to come up with a good presentation/script. I hate Jennings' "ground and lofty tumblers" story with a passion, so that was never an option. Dingle's "too many cards" approach is a little bit better, as well as Cervon's "a matter of psychology". I have experimented with various different presentations and I'm still looking for the perfect solution. Last time I performed it, a spectator said to me "this trick has it all" which inspired my new presentation: "My favorite card trick or the trick that has it all". Smile
RobHollan3
View Profile
New user
Charleston, SC
2 Posts

Profile of RobHollan3
Vlad and Marty,
Thanks for your input! I have "Out of Control" and I actually learned 5-Speed first, and was directed from that book to Larry Jenning's original effect. Vlad I'm looking through Larry's book right now and working through the four card variation you mentioned! Thanks for the link Marty. I enjoy Five Speed but I use "Ambitious Classic" for the impromptu aspect and because I like how it flows.

Uli, I really enjoy the presentation Micheal Vincent has on YouTube, and when first learning the effect I used it as a starting point for my own presentation. I personally don't hate Larry Jennings original presentation of an Acrobatic Family and I have tinkered with the patter a bit from time to time trying to find something that works for me.

Thanks all,
Rob
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 08:20, Vlad_77 wrote:
Adding to Lynn's praise of this great effect. It is the "ACR" I use with a bit of a different kicker ending. I do the Ambitious Classic Variant found later in the book. I really think that Ambitious Classic is one of Jennings' greatest effects. The construction of the routine is so very tight and the built in convincers leave nothing to be desired. For another take on this plot, check out Chris Kenner's approach in Totally Out of Control. [I never knew the proper title for this strangely laid out book, so, it is also called Out of Control. Take your pick Smile ]

Namaste,
Vlad
I too use the variant. I prefer it over the overused Ambitious Card routine. Larry really hit it outta the ballpark with this effect...Definitely a favorite with me!

Cardamagically,
DomC Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Ambitious Classic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL