The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2003-11-21 02:17, Shawn74 wrote:
Busking is basically another word for street performing... When busking one usually sets up in a particular area and begins drawing a crowd to see the show, or as in the case in San Fransisco, the are asigned(sp?) a stage and a time to go on. At the end of the performance they will usually "pass the hat" or tip jar for tips from the audience.

Shawn, my understand of "Busking" is just "working for tips." Not necessarily entertaining but even including restaurant servers and others who rely on tips for the majority of their income.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Not exactly. Busking involves active solicitation for tips. Tipping waiters and waitresses is pretty much a "given"; buskers make it very clear to the audience that they NEED a tip, they WANT a tip, and the audience is EXPECTED to tip.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
BeMan,

The argument that people dislike a magician if he or she gets famous on TV because they themselves haven't made it big is totally bogus.

First of all you are supposing that we all want to be TV magicians. That isn't true, not everyone has what it takes to be a television entertainer.

Second, you assume money and being a TV star is the sign of success. Maybe to you, but not to everyone. Some good souls on this earth do what they do for a living because they enjoy it and because they enjoy entertaining.

Third, if we should hate one TV magician because he/she is "successful" and we aren't, then we should hate them all. It's only fair to avoid having a double standard, right? Therefore everyone should hate Mark Wilson, right? By your logic...yes.

Do people hate Mark Wilson? I seriously doubt it. He's THE most famous TV magician. He's had more time on TV doing high quality magic than anybody else. His specials still run in some countries.

BeMan, not everyone is driven by greed for power and a desire to be held high above others. Humility is a trait I constantly work on, and one that I think too many people ignore.

That being said...busking...
Simply a magic performance outdoors in a public place, that is stationary in as much as the performer usually has a small stand or table to perform on and hold props.

The key is the performer is the feature...people come and gather around to see him or her perform.

Blaine GOES TO people, begging them to see stuff. It is inherently different.

Hope I cleared it up.

For the record, I don't hate Blaine, or really anyone for that matter because it gets me nowhere and usually wastes my time. However, I do detest the arguments of Blaine supporters because their defense is often so vicious instead of calm and logical.

Cheers Smile
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5367 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Quote:
It's table hopping done without a table. Maybe he should have called his special "Sidewalk Magic with a big Television Crew."

Funny, way too funny....

I don't dislike Blaine (ok, I'm lying; I do dislike Blaine. I don't like what he does at all), it's just not what we are about here and some probably really nice folks have come here in the past with the same notion that Blaine is a street magi. He's not and we don't like talking about him and that's why I'm stopping this now.

koz
Bursky
View Profile
New user
West Hollywood, Ca.
78 Posts

Profile of Bursky
Most cities require some kind of permit.

Click here to view attached image.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Gazzo, Cellini, are the top street buskers.
But as for Blaine, I have been selling the tricks he bought for years. Now thankfully I am asked all day long, "Do you know how he eat the coin? Yeah, sure for $30 pound please, you can do it too. What about the rising card? Yeah, sure. $10."

He has done well to make magic and himself popular. He has made his fortunes through the streets, but not while on the street. The guy is good at what he does, which is self promoting. He has made magic more popular, but as for passing the hat, the noble task of entertaining and making you laugh and then parting with your well earned cash, you have to leave that to the buskers at the shopping mall near you.

Until you taste the open air stage as you step out to entertain, you don't know really what I am talking about.
The difference between Blaine and a busker is the difference between The Spice Girls and Bob Dillon.

The Spice Girls made their millions; Bob Dillon is in the heart and sung by every other busker. The only ones that can make a true judgement on Blaine as a street magi I believe are buskers. Blaine as a performer, then that is up to you.

Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL