The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins Across One BEHIND Principal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Does anyone here own the "Magic Of Michael Ammar", book?

I'm trying to place where I had learned and now have long forgotten a coins across route
ine,  the name of which now escapes me, where, quite ingeniously instead of being one ahead, you are one BEHIND all the routine. It was really quite ingenious. 

Well, as I said, I've long since forgotten the routine, and wanted to relearn it, but wasn't sure where I had originally found it.

I perused my Paul Harris trilogy, knowing that there was some coin stuff in there, and after wasting a couple hours on that, realized it wasn't in there. 

Then it hit me that I THINK it might have been in the Ammar book, but unfortunately, that book was lost in the separation from my wife.

So..., if anybody here owns the Ammar book, and can confirm that the routine is in there, I would really appreciate it!

Daff
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Have a look at Mike Gallo's work. For many, the Sankey Mr. Clean routine was where they started on that idea.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9061 Posts

Profile of funsway
I perform a "one behind" 3-Fly type effect. It is designed for the TUC but can be done with an Exp [.

The big advantage is that your hands never touch throughout the routine.

Not based on either the Ammar or Sankey book. The first never read and the latter only read after I published T.U.C. Appreciation.

Daff, PM me if you wish a copy.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
920 Posts

Profile of Martino
Daffy,

There is a Mike Gallo routine in the Ammar book called New Wave Coins Across. It uses 5 coins masquerading as 6. Is that the one you are thinking of?

Jonathan,

I do Sankey's Mr Clean Coins Across and you it genuinely uses the 3 coins you say it does. Not sure it counts as either one ahead or one behind in any case. Sankey does have a routine using the one behind principle which is called Mexican Jumping Coins. It's in vol 3 of Definitive Sankey and on Revolutionary Coin Technique.

Regards,

Martin.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I sure will!

Still would like to find out about that one I posted about that I "BELIIEVE " is in the Ammar book. Smile
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2956 Posts

Profile of fonda57
In Williamson's Wonders there is a great one called When You're Behind You're Ahead. Not a coins across, but a really good effect.
I j
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Jonathan might have ment " No Jackets Required" from Sankey, but I don't know. Mr. Clean doesn't use a one ahead or behind.
qureyoon
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
270 Posts

Profile of qureyoon
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 14:57, daffydoug wrote:
Does anyone here own the "Magic Of Michael Ammar", book?

I'm trying to place where I had learned and now have long forgotten a coins across routine,  the name of which now escapes me, where, quite ingeniously instead of being one ahead, you are one BEHIND all the routine. It was really quite ingenious. 

Yes, it's in the book.

It's "New Wave Coins Across by Mike Gallo" Smile
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3330 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On 2013-03-13 00:41, Rick Holcombe wrote:
Jonathan might have ment " No Jackets Required" from Sankey, but I don't know. Mr. Clean doesn't use a one ahead or behind.

I also think Jonathan meant No Jacket Required.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Qureyoon,

Thanks man! Bingo! That was it!

The memory is crystal clear, now.

To think I wasted all that time going through my Paul Harris books, and it wasn't even close!

So now I remember, but I don't remember how to perform the routine, and I no longer have the Ammar book.

:(
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
920 Posts

Profile of Martino
Didn't' I already say that like four posts earlier?! Smile
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
You might want to check out "Digestible Coins" and "Four Coins to Pocket" in 21st Century Coin Mechanics. Both use a "one behind principle" but with original sleights taught in the book. "No Jacket Required" was Jay Sankey's routine also using that principle.

Larry Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I think I have the DVD from L&L with Jay teaching NJR. I'm going to dig it out.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I had to start somewhere. So I dug out a Sankey DVD. Man! All the selections! Mr Clean Coins Across, No Jacket Required, Mexican Jumping Coins, Slick Splits, and on and on. So I went with Mexican Jumping Coins because it only uses two coins to give the illusion of three. I've been working on all day, with my own variations in handling, with actually starting out with three visible coins, secretly dumping one, going into the routine as Jay teaches it, and ending with the three coins shrinking into mini halves.

I'm having fun, now!
qureyoon
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
270 Posts

Profile of qureyoon
Quote:
On 2013-03-17 23:19, daffydoug wrote:
I'm having fun, now!

Share the fun Smile

I enjoy watching, I would love to see your handling Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ok. I've only practiced one day! The cake is still only half baked! I'm gonna need time to perfect it!

But maybe I could eventually record it, after I have the routine polished.

Are you familiar with Sankey's "Mexican Jumping Coins?"

It takes a while for your brain to adjust to using two coins. You can give a good illusion of three, but it takes some getting used to. Also, Jay does the routine rather rapidly, whereas I hope I can slow it down a bit to emlhasize the magic moments.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Anyone use multiple pop up moves to get behind.

I do.

For years I only used it 1 time.

Then in a playtime session, I started working on it.

The last few weeks, I have taken it out in the "real world", with very positive results.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
H, the sound factor puts some constraints on that approach. Going the Eddie Joseph Shattered route with extra stuff in hand may help. A rattle bar might be worth the commitment.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
At the beginning of the routine, I produce 4 or 5 coins

with 3.

J. T.
Sent you a PM.

Thanks

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I have never been able to find a rattle gimmick that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Widh I could find one for a decent price.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins Across One BEHIND Principal (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL