The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Your Biggest Marketing Obstacle? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
I fully understand and agree with most of you. Indeed having good business sense is in no way a substitute for having not only a polished show but importantly having a great connection with people in general...especially your audiences.

I get that. And with that in mind please allow me to say that once the product is out there be it a book, e-book, DVD, CD course...whatever, it will NOT be purchased by everyone and I understand that. I can also respect that.

Being a performer for over 20 years I realize that no book or college or course can teach you to be yourself. However, the guys or girls that are good enough to perform or do not understand business basics will, IMO, love this! I feel confident in even stating that I believe some part-time and full-time pros can probably find something inside of it that they too will be able to apply.

It's almost like a magic convention. I go to a magic convention with hopes that my money will not go to waste. I might not see anything that fools me for 2-3 days and then, I can hear a line, or see a move that I can take away with me and it makes the investment all worth it. Hopefully that's what this will do.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2944 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Main thing Michael is to keep it reasonable priced.
Nothing worse than that feeling you didn't get your money's worth.

I'm sure there are many magic courses out there that should of been called a 'book.' I personally have no problem buying and recommending a 'book.' A book worth putting on a book shelf is never a total loss. But a high priced program or course is a different story.

Anyway, just a thought. Good luck with it.

Tom
The Daycare Magician Book
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/amazekids/the-daycare-magician/

When you come to the point where you have no need to impress anybody, your freedom will begin.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Really interesting discussion guys!

As far as I can see:

Marketing is the function of generating awareness and thus people to become interested in what you have to offer
then the SALES function takes over. This everything that it takes to convert that enquiry in to a booking. This includes your sales follow up process, maybe a CRM and how you use it.
Then comes the customer care bit, where you take the customer through the steps required to have an amazing event with you. This can be as simple as 'Heres a list of what I need you to provide, make sure there is x amount of space and I'll be there at whatever-o'clock'

Then marketing takes place again. There should be a follow up that allows us to leverage this client to generate more interest from others and then the process starts again.

The biggest problem is that many people are not ready to be seen by the market because their materials and brand does not correctly communicate who they are. So you spend time and money on getting people to see rubbish that instantly turns them off.
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Quote:
On 2013-04-14 13:39, Ken Dyne wrote:
The biggest problem is that many people are not ready to be seen by the market because their materials and brand does not correctly communicate who they are.

First one must choose their positioning/identity strategy before they can communicate it. This is no easy task - and perhaps even more challenging than communicating it once you have it figured out. I know the difficulty of this first hand as I struggled with it myself (and still do but to a lessor degree).
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Absolutely Scott. Working out who we are is one of the toughest challenges.
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On 2013-04-12 20:43, TomBoleware wrote:
Main thing Michael is to keep it reasonable priced.
Nothing worse than that feeling you didn't get your money's worth.

Tom,

What is considered "reasonable priced"? I think price and worth are subjective to each person and what they are willing to part with.

For instance, a set of Schoolcraft coins might be ridiculously priced for someone not making money with magic but would be considered an excellent investment for someone who makes money and pays their bills with magic.

Perceived value is obviously an issue that is completely relative. You and I might have a different outlook on what is "worth it". Would you ever pay $30,000 to be in Tony Robbin's "Master Mind" group? Probably not. Why? Because you could think of other things you could do with that money. But people do spend that amount of money because they KNOW that the information learned can create ten times that amount. And before anyone tries to jump in and say I am comparing myself to Tony Robbins let me set the record straight and say that I am not. I am merely using him as an example.

But my question still remains...what would you pay for something like this? I'm curious.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10242 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2013-04-12 17:42, eatonmagic wrote:
Being a performer for over 20 years I realize that no book or college or course can teach you to be yourself. However, the guys or girls that are good enough to perform or do not understand business basics will, IMO, love this!

Seems if this is is who your product is target to, not very much as it must be moderately priced or you will out price them. This has always been the problem - those that truly need it the most either do not realize they need it, or are not willing to pay the true value or worth of such a product. To this level of performer the $39-$59 price point is expensive and an immediate turnoff.

This was a problem with other recent gurus around here that were targeting this level of customers but with products in the range of $49-$1,500. Don't seem to hear much about him or these products around here anymore. Only professional level people can appreciate and are wiling to pay for professional level resources and content. More entry or basic level people think $24.95 is expensive. Plus at this level I've always found they are more interested in their show and props, effects or accessories, more than knowledge and business resources.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2944 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Michael,

I'm sure Tony would cut an old friend like me a little slack off the $30,000 price. Smile But I do understand your point.

Honestly, I haven't bought any magic products in years, I'm sort of on the outside looking in, but sometimes things are a little clearer in that position. Still, I'm really not the one to put a fair price on a magic product but I think mindpro said it well. It's very easy to overprice yourself in a small market like magic.

Calling it anything other than a "good magic book." you will be labeled in one of two ways: 1. As a guru. 2. As a wanna-be guru. Either way, you going to instantly lose more than half the magic market. You can then divide that market by flipping a coin, $29.00 or $97.00. More than that and you will need to flip another coin.

That's why I say, just 'another' but 'great' magic book is not as bad as it may seem. Nobody labels you and you get to keep all of the magic audience. A good product will speak for itself.

But seriously, maybe some others here could list what they think is a fair price for a such a product.

Tom

When you come to the point where you have no need to impress anybody, your freedom will begin.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2944 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On 2013-04-15 11:04, TomBoleware wrote:

Honestly, I haven't bought any magic products in years.

I take that back. ANY should read very few.

Tom

Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
On 2013-03-23 10:50, Michael Messing wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-23 09:43, Mindpro wrote:

Btw, it was Mary Ann for sure.

Absolutely!

I'll go ahead and admit what no one ever wants to admit.... Ginger all the way.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10242 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2013-04-18 14:14, Dreadnought wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-23 10:50, Michael Messing wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-23 09:43, Mindpro wrote:

Btw, it was Mary Ann for sure.

Absolutely!

I'll go ahead and admit what no one ever wants to admit.... Ginger all the way.

Peace and Godspeed.

There's one in every bunch.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
My biggest obstical at present is that my website and adwords ad have disappeared because of all the magicians who are paying companies to keep them ahead of me on goggle etc!

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Your Biggest Marketing Obstacle? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL