The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Blaney Levitations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I've been wondering this for a while and thought I should simply ask: What are the key differences between the Blaney Ladder Levitation and the Blaney 3001 Levitation? I know they are both excellent, but there is quite a significant difference in price. Thanks.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6956 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi Kent!

One thing I have heard is the Ladder Lev comes with a special hoop. Now I am not sure about the 3001. I had heard the hoop was available separately.

OK, I just checked...The Ladder does NOT come with a hoop, I understand now. It's 11 grand with no hoop. ZANEY BLANEY MIRACLE LEVITATION HOOP is $3500.

The difference I see is the Ladder Lev is a levitation, where the 3001 is a suspension.

Not much help, I realize. Best I can do, though! Smile

Doug
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I personally wouldn't call it a levitation without up and down movement. I usually assume that suspended in the air is a suspension, and rising is what makes it a levitation.

From what I've always been able to tell, it's just different supports. The 3001 supports are bigger and the ladder is much more streamlined and deceptive, thus more difficult to make as it is such a fine piece. I'm guessing that's what makes the price different really kick in.

That's just my thinking however, without having owned either.
serg
View Profile
Elite user
Ukraine
433 Posts

Profile of serg
In Ladder levitation have very clever support, each ladder can remove( and rotate)and even step back on some distance ,and created overall impression by the lady levitate. Look great ,and more interesting then 3001, but price so expensive for no reason?Also hoop soooo expensive,but secret very easy ,i don't know why price???
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7445 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Because it is worth it!! The ladders are precision made as is the hoop. We are talking ten thousandths of tolerance in hollow Stainless tubing. Try bending this stuff and you will understand.

Neither is a levitation by the truest sense of the word. They are suspensions. There is no increase or decrease in height of the girl.

The other major difference is the ladder is built right in front of the audience. 3001 is set up already.
Both had similar mechanism internally.

The price is totally justified if you saw the work on this. Also remember that Walter Blaney did this for over 20 years before anyone was shown the work. There is a good reason no one just knocked it off. It is too hard to make. Ask some people who bought the foreign knockoffs. They are junk.

The few guys that have the ladder are glad they have them and are just as happy they expensive so they don't become another "flying carpet" illusion.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Great information so far! Can anyone tell me if the weight capacities and the angle sensitivities are the same for both illusions? Thanks.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7445 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Angles are similar on both. You can cover a lot by kicking the one corner downstage a bit. Weight capacity on the ladder is about 125#.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Kent - You should contact Walter directly. He would be happy to talk to you and answer any questions. I've known him for 30 years and he's one of the nicest guys in magic. His contact info and phone number are on his website: http://www.walterblaney.com/illusions
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Richard - Thanks for the quick and informative reply.
David - I will definitely do just that! Sometimes, I'm hesitant to go to the inventor since there is a very fine line between due diligence and fishing for secrets. I always try to steer clear of the latter category.

From everything that I've learned from the responses here, it sounds like the 3001 may fit my needs. Having said that, however, I have one last question: Are there any disadvantages to the 3001?

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2664 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
For the love of Mike. Have you bothered to do a search?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=7
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Sponge - Thank you for the link and your incredibly polite reply. If you look at the link you posted, you will see that I actually participated in that thread. I was able to gain a good understanding of the 3001 from the previous discussion. The question I am currently asking is the DIFFERENCE between the two levitations that are currently available so I can better understand the variation in price. If you have any thoughts or constructive comments that may further contribute to this thread, above and beyond your most recent post, they would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again for your time.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2664 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
That link is just one example. There are some other threads talking about both illusions. here's couple more that may have more info for you:

Yeah, I was rude. Sorry. It gets frustrating on here sometimes and it's easy to get rude.

s
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Thank you for the additional links. They were very helpful.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Blaney Levitations (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL