The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Wiped Clean (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kihei
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Kihei
Do you have a favorite version of wiped clean or similar method to show you hands empty? Any suggestions or thoughts behind the technique? I am working on concealing a stack at the beginning of a production sequence.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Good morning. Something of mine was published in Apocalypse that works for transferring a stack of coins while showing one's hands empty. The index is online so it should be easy to find. - Jonathan
...to all the coins I've dropped here
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
I personally enjoy using Kainoa's *sigh* "Spread and Wiped clean"

Though the name is excellent, the display leaves you looking rather clean, yet feeling so dirty, but in a good way.

It can be found on Palms of Steel 2
CoolMAgic4U
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
205 Posts

Profile of CoolMAgic4U
I Agree with JAMES.. Kaiona's version is NICE! Smile
CoolMagic4U---aka---Ed Smile
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4155 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
This is going to be a controversial statement, but any form of handwashing is just overkill, unless its relevant to the routine. OK, that should add some fuel to the fire. Your thoughts?
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS! AT DEALERS EVERYWHERE!
https://youtu.be/hzf-Trbs4Ts

https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

ALSO...available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com I also have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book, let me know if you want a pricelist.
stevebraley
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of stevebraley
The situation where I enjoy using wiped clean the most is when someone knows that I perform and they request to see something. I explain, while hand washing, that I can not begin because I need a coin and did not come prepared. Then, I produce a coin from some nearby object and continue.

For me, I think it looks and feels very natural. It blends in with my several other nervous habits like hand wringing, constant knuckle cracking, and finger stretching.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Michael, I'll go with that and raise you one...

Coin transfers or equipments are usuallly ineffective as methods to convince people of anything more than your skill. If they FEEL you are holding out, the moves will not convince them otherwise. If they FEEL confused by your actions, the moves may even lead them to the stuff you are trying to hide.

For the record, I invented my multi coin transfer to solve a small problem I was having when doing the Ramsay Cylinder and Coins routine. I felt odd transferring the coins and cork bit at the same time to start the 'transposition' sequence. The thing is done completely off beat while folks are looking at what's on the table. The fact that it can be done with just one coin using a 'slapping' type gesture was gravy and not my original concern.

Likewise the 'other' transfer of mine folks might know was invented to follow after a spider grip vanish. Again, the move happens just when eyes are moving from an empty hand and up to my face.

For me this is all about what David Roth called 'traffic management'.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I like hand washing, and have overused it. If you look at some of my web videos, its apparent.

More and more I have started to minimize its use. I probably mostly use it once now inside a coin flurry routine.

Like all things, it has its time and place...
Click to visit:
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4155 Posts

Ah yes, my friends, the world is changing. Soon it will be apparent that the best time for hand washing is before dinner and after gardening.....
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS! AT DEALERS EVERYWHERE!

ALSO...available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com I also have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book, let me know if you want a pricelist.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1683 Posts

Profile of mystre71
I have a hand washing move I use in a coins to purse routine, My patter gives kind of a reason to be doing the hand washing.
I showed this to Kainoa at COINvention and he seem to really like it.

What I would like to do is make a habit of brushing my hands together (Hand washing) so that it becomes part of my mannerism (SP?)

I remember years ago seeing a lecture, I think it was Joe Rindfleisch, and he was telling us how if you do something (Hand washing or whatever) for 20-30 days everyday it will become a habit. Has anyone else heard of or tried anything like this before?

I'm hoping if/when it becomes a habit that I'll do the hand washing wether or not I'm doing a routine, so it will look natural.

Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

I'm washing my hands. I'm washing my hands. Excuse me I'm washing my hands

You too can imitate a person with severe o/c disorder and you can start by washing your hands after every bit of a routine. And again. And again. Until you feel they are clean. Or stop itching for a moment.

And then once again since it's a good thing to have clean hands. Once again just to be sure. You can never be too sure.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1683 Posts

Profile of mystre71
LOL... ok bad idea.
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4155 Posts

On a serious note, before you perform any move that is designed solely to show that both of your hands are empty, think about if that move is really necessary to improve your routine. As a good magician, you should be able to hide the coins so that there is no need to "prove" that both hands are empty at the same time.

The best time to show that your hands are empty is, well when your hands are empty! That doesn't mean that there aren't situations when you have to secretly transfer one or more coins from one hand to another, but you need to have a reason other than display for doing so. I think that most if not all moves designed for hand washing never come close to imitating what you would really do to show your hands empty, and as such telegraph that you are performing a "move" (even if the transfer is invisible).

Cleverness at hiding a coin does not necessarily make a move appear natural. That being said, I can't pretend to tell you that I've seen ALL moves out there, so yours may be a good one Joe, I'm just speaking in generalities. I have yet to see a move that would work for me.

mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1683 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Michael,

I agree with what you posted above. And hopefully with my patter I'm using gives a reason for the hand washing.

Also sometimes these types of moves (hand washing, Change overs, transfers) don't read well in print but seeing them performed live they do make a routine look very clean if done in a casual manner.

Joe
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
I'll use "Wiped Clean" every once in a while. Usually AFTER a vanish and when someone is starting to burn my hands. I'll do it casually and have had great results with it. As stated, using any convincer too many times is not good. IMO this applies to any type of magic, coin, cards, etc.

I did a very short routine for a few clients just yesterday and after a simple vanish did "Wiped Clean" and got a shriek from the gang. Granted this doesn't happen often, but it made my day! Smile
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Joe, you and the other Joe might find this amusing.

I suggest the most natural motivation for hand washing in public is, well public handwashing. Ever since the recent flu scares, the public has heeded the words of "Big Mother" and manufacturers have certainly noticed. Hae you seen all the little bottles of portable, quick-drying anti-biotic wash? What more logical preface to coin magic could there be?

In fact, one of the local coin shops hands you a tissue and a bottle of this stuff after you've rooted through the "junk silver" bin.

So, at least at the start of the routine, you enter with 20 -30 coins palmed, one of those little bottles at your fingertips. Applying the lotion, and spreading it around, you change over and acquit as much as you want, lingering on the periphery of the audience's attention zone. Then, proceed to drop the payload, in as artistic a manner as possible, of course.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
Curtis! It's good to see? hear? read you again?!! Haven't "seen" you around here in awhile.

Your idea is stellar! You're killing me! Smile Smile Smile Smile
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Hey, Lee

I been around, but wasted a lot of time on a thread that became invisible, if you know what I mean. So it's back to happy coinland, and here I am.

Glad you liked the handwashing idea. See ya around for another week or so, before I have to disappear again.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Kihei
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Kihei
Thanks for all the input. Seems there is a lot of opposition to handwashing due to motivation. If I can't find a creative motivation such as Curtis suggested, are there many natural false transfers that look like gestures? Also what is the context of the stack transfer that JonTown mentioned?
Doug Conn
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Doug Conn
I use the Wiped Clean / handwashing to show the hands empty during a coin production. You can see this in action here:
http://www.dougconn.com/movies/dcomtrick.rm
(first effect of the routine.)

FYI: This production and thoughts on it are described in detail (by Paul Cummins) in "Tricks of My Trade" ... look for "Particle Press"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Wiped Clean (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL