The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favorite Slate Effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

edseas2
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of edseas2
Picked up some Bazar de Magica slates and I wanted to know what effects, if any, folks like to perform with slates.

I know that many folks prefer using a white erase board but I don't mind the traditional stuff.

I think that I would prefer to perform number effects that involve a switch versus effects where writing "magically appears" as, in my opinion, this is too impossible in the mind of the spectator and puts a great deal of heat on the slates themselves.

Many thanks.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Cover the "hidden" surface entirely with chalk, using the side of a stick of chalk. Then trace your "spirit message" with a finger.

During performance, cover the surface that will "go away" with chalk as the spectators watch. Do the usual stuff of placing the slates face to face, tying them with a cord or whatever, and invoking the magic. When the slates are unbound and revealed, a spirit hand will apparently have written a message -- perhaps a chosen card or whatever.

Cheers,
Jerry
owenscott
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of owenscott
I am not trying to be silly but from what I feel "spirts" would NOT be able to contact us by a dry erase board. It just doesn't fly in my mind. Slate seems so much better. I like the idea of using chalk dust removed by the spirt to talk. Maybe in this thread we could also talk about what everyobdy feels wether they otherside can use a dry erase marker ?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
You can add a subtlty I did once... I had a small paper bag full of various colored chalks. The person reaches inside and pulls out a piece and it's, let's say, yellow. That piece is place between the boards and when the writing appears it is in yellow chalk. Easy to do: make a double walled bag and force the yellow pieces.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
I perfer old, rustic items as to "modern" items when it comes to setting a certain mood (more so when it is a seance). It's like having rock and roll music in a sword and socery movie as apose to classical music. To me it just does not work. My vote is for chalk slates. Especailly if you are doing a seance. Death is never modern.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favorite Slate Effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL