The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Be on the Lookout for the Lookout Wallet! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1705 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
To echo many reports, the Lookout is a very good p--k wallet.

Alas, it has not met all of the needs that I thought it might fill. In the main compartment for business cards, it does hold a lot of business cards. But the available space in the wallet's other pockets is cramped. I had fantasized that this might serve as my regular business card wallet; in my current non-gimmicked card case, I carry a Visa card and my driver's license, AAA card, and proof of auto insurance card, in addition to a quantity of business cards.

So far, the Lookout cannot accommodate that stuff and remain closed. I have been stretching it for several days, and today I crowded some stuff into the other pockets, so we'll see. By comparison, it looks like my SAW can more adequately serve the daily needs but it's p--k, while similar, is not as strategically flexible.

I really want the Lookout to work out for me. What have some of you done to press it into everyday, always-with-you, service?

George
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
366 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
George Hunter, I think we see a business card wallet differently. I use mine just to carry business cards and carry my other cards in my regular wallet. I've thought about putting a couple of someone else's business cards in the two extra slots, but may not. I agree it's a tight fit, but once they would be in there, I'd likely leave them just for show. As I said, though, I probably won't mess with it since the wallet is to hand out my business cards.

I think it's cooler to have a wallet dedicated only to my business cards - I hope it makes it special to the person that I give my card to when I get the card out a different wallet from where I keep other stuff. That's also why I prefer the black color, it just looks more sophisticated.

Different tastes for different people, I guess.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1705 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Hi GF:

I am sure it is fine for people to use what are essentially business card wallets in different ways, some for business cards only and others for business cards plus; although I have no interest in what looks "cooler."

I choose to keep one credit card and my driving related cards in a shirt pocket with my business cards. (Reasons available upon request.) MANY people do not confine their business card wallet to business cards only. Wallet manufacturers know that; my current Swiss Army brand business card wallet accommodates those other cards nicely.

My only beef with the Lookout is that it at first appears to have been constructed for such purposes, i. e., it has similar-looking pockets in addition to the generous one for one's business cards but, so far (I am attempting to stretch them) they are too internally confined to include those cards AND also allow the wallet to close nicely.

If the Lookout is, in fact, for business cards only--that may be an advertising issue.

George
Paul Carnazzo
View Profile
Inner circle
1112 Posts

Profile of Paul Carnazzo
George,

Sorry this does not meet your needs, but it is advertised as a business card case. I hope you still get some use from it...the p@@k is great!
remember....always use your powers for good!

http://www.mentalvoyage.com
Paul Carnazzo
View Profile
Inner circle
1112 Posts

Profile of Paul Carnazzo
My friend Tony Razzano posted this review on another forum, and said I could share it here:

I have heard some people say that I never met a wallet I didn’t like. Not true as there are several that I don’t like, but Paul Carnazzo’s Lookout Wallet (LW) is not one of them. I have been using this for about a month now, and I really like it.

It is really a business card case and not an everyday wallet. I have 40 business cards inside of mine. Yes, yes, I know, you don’t need that many, and you are right, you don’t, but more on that later.
This is a card case with no slits. Also, you need not open the wallet again to get the peek and the spec can handle it to a large degree. And you get a full card peek.

With the LW, the spec draws/writes on one of your business cards and the spec puts the card in the case and closes it. Not you. I usually ask the spec to open the case once more and take out one of my business cards, hand it to me and have her close the wallet again. I take the wallet, get the peek and voila! The mastermind has pulled off a miracle. Yes, the spec can handle the case that much. She can even remove her card at the end if you wish, but there is really no need for that.

The case, with 40 of my business cards in it, measures 4x3x1. You can narrow that one inch down by using fewer cards in the case. The case is made of excellent quality black leather. Brown might be available soon, but Paul isn’t sure yet. Oh, by the way, open the case is 4x6x1. Sounds a bit big. It is thicker than most cases, but that does not seem to take away from the effect or cause any suspicion. It’s my business card case, plain and simple. I haven’t been questioned by laymen. Of course, mentalists and magicians who are looking for something from the get go have commented, but having them handle the case in the routine and seeing that many cards in the case usually allays the suspicion, at least to a degree. But the general public simply accepts it without question. Some of you worry too much.

The case comes with about a 40 minute DVD with handling tips, routines and, of course, the method. Angles are good from 3 sides. The only poor angle is to your left, but that’s really easy to cover. There is a particular way to hold the case in order to get the peek (and there is an alternate method, too) and this technique blocks everything from the right side and also facilitates the peek. The case itself covers from the front and your body covers from the back.

Now, after practicing in front of the mirror, I suggest that you angle the left side just a bit or the gimmick might be noticed. Do this in front of a mirror a few times and you will easily be able to tell how much. It’s just a little bit and tales nothing away from the method/routine.

OK,the case does need to be broken in for it to work with more than about a dozen cards in it. Put the 30 or 40 cards into it, put a couple of rubber bands around it and put it aside for a few days. I remember, and so, probably do some of you, breaking in a leather baseball glove as a kid. We used to put 2 baseballs in it and put a few big rubber bands around the whole thing and put it aside for a few days. Be patient. In my opinion, it's worth it.

There is an alternate method , not on the DVD, but suggested by Iain and it isn’t mine to give away. Check with him.

Now let me be clear…you do open it a bit but no one sees it and you close it up immediately. To the spec and all watching, you never re opened the wallet. It is very deceptive.

This has become my peek wallet of choice. There are a lot of good peek wallets out there, but in my opinion, this is the best. It is always with me.
You can get it from YFD. Or you can get it from Paul directly at:

http://www.mentalvoyage.com/index_files/TheLookout.htm

For $59.95, I think it’s a bargain. Highly recommended!

(END)

Thanks Tony! Glad you like it!

George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1705 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Hi Paul:

I agree that the Lookout is advertised as a business card case, but the other pockets in the case might not lead the observer of its photographs to conclude that the case is for business cards ONLY.

Visually, it has the two other pockets. I have stuffed them, and succeeded in expanding them a little, and they now hold a drivers license and a credit card; but the case does not really close with those pockets filled even that much. And that is before I have put ANY business cards in the main pocket for a quantity of business cards.

I have probably owned a half-dozen credit card cases over the years, including my current Swiss Army case. They could all accommodate some other life-related stuff and still close. I guess that it never occurred to me that someone might market an exception to that pattern. I continue to live and learn.

George
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1705 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Well, I may have discovered that a slight liability, with some imagination, becomes an asset.

With my license and a credit card in the wallet, the m-----s no longer closes the wallet as Paul intended; I noticed that the opening is a little more than 1/2 inch. Then I was assaulted by a blinding flash of the obvious: That is about the same gap necessary for the p--k. If the spectator is used to seeing the gap, the p--k becomes may become all the more unnoticeable.

I am carrying the Lookout as my card wallet starting today, and will be field testing it. Since my Sept 9 comment can be read as a critique, I felt obligated to update you folks on my more recent thinking.

The critique kind of still stands; the wallet ought to close. But the fact that it does not quite close might be an assent in its use for mentalism.

George
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1705 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
For those following this thread, I have been carrying and using the Lookout for a week. The ancillary pockets have expanded with use, and the wallet comes closer and closer to closing--even when pretty full with business cards. I consider the issues I experienced earlier now resolved, and can now recommend the Lookout--as a peek wallet and everyday business card case--with enthusiasm. From my experience, it just requires a break-in period.

George
Paul Carnazzo
View Profile
Inner circle
1112 Posts

Profile of Paul Carnazzo
Thanks for the update George!

As mentioned on the DVD, there is a need to "break in" the wallet.

Thanks again!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Be on the Lookout for the Lookout Wallet! (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL