The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Brain Fart - need name/info on a certain Okito box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1512 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
What is the name of the Okito box that has a magnetic half/brass coin and a shim lid to pick up the special coin?
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1512 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
The boxes on that thread do not refer to what I am looking for. I have a Magna box. It is simply a Boston styled box, but instead of a full recess for a coin, it has a depression that takes a post coin.

What I am looking for is a box with a magnetic lid, and in the lid is a recess (the size of a half dollar). It comes with a half dollar which is a normal half dollar on one side, and the other side is flat brass, matching the brass of the box. The coin can adhere to the inside of the top, brass side showing, and look like the half has disappeared. I believe the outside bottom of the box has a recess like a Boston.

So... you can put the half/brass coin in the recess in the bottom like a Boston box, half side showing and when you place the lid on the bottom (after you have done the turn over move and gone south with the other coins)... the lid will pick up the half/brass coin, and you can show the inside of the lid etc... no coin.

Does this make sense? I know someone mad a coin box like this at some time... I just can't remember the name of it... and I don't know if anyone even makes this anymore. I've search all the major online magic stores, and I can't find any of the multiple boxes available that matches my description.

Anyone?
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
Something on ebay right now I've not seen before. Called the utility coin box. No description like you gave, although the pictures show that it could be.
Kelvin
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
Carl Brema utility coin box is the name.
Kelvin
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
Sorry, I looked close and the seller actually has a picture of the instructions. It's now what you described.
Kelvin
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
The coin you mention sounds exactly like the JG Thomson coin by Johnson. I don't know if anyone else also makes it.
It's a mag half/brass coin. And they recommend it with the Magna Box or the JO Pro box.
Kelvin
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1512 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
The JO Pro Box... that's it. Johnson still sells it with coin and shimmed playing card. Thanks.
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
You're welcome, Al. Now after looking at it I want it too!
Kelvin
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1512 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-03-17 12:14, kcquinn50 wrote:
You're welcome, Al. Now after looking at it I want it too!

Well... I looked into further... and it's simply an Okito box with a steel shim in the lib... and comes with a magnetic half. What I'm looking for is a box that had a recess in the underside of the lid, and a Thompson like coin could reside there... brass side out... and it would appear as just like the inside of the lid... I know there was something like this at some point in my 40 years in magic... I even think the base was recessed (ala Boston) and this same kennedy/brass coin could live in that recess, brass side out, also looking just like the bottom of the box.

The kennedy/brass coin was magnetic, and the lid and the base of the box was shimmed... I know I didn't do that many drugs when I was young, I know this existed, I just don't know what it was called or if it is still available.

Anyone?
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1598 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
I think you were right the first time in thinking it was the Jo Pro Coin Box and the JG Thompson Coin (sold separately). I don't recall the base being recessed like a boston, though.

Some discussion here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

Regards,

Alan
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2662 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
The first time that I saw the coin post idea that you mention (manufactured in the UK) was a 'Lowe Coin Box' made by Fred Lowe back in the 1960's. When Fred retired, his entire stock was bought up and sold via Ken Brooke. He was a good craftsman but the instructions were woeful (until Ken got his hands on them obviously).

The box itself did have a recess but only about a millimetre - just enough to keep the coin in place or to enable pick up.

The main problem with the box was that it was made of brass but quite lightweight; it wasn't correctly balanced - and any turnover move was not as clean as a result.
Barry Allen

Joe Riding (1932 - 2005). "I still miss you mate".
https://magicweek.co.uk/magic_articles/article_joe_riding.htm
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Brain Fart - need name/info on a certain Okito box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL