The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Fingertip Multicolor Wildcoin for competition (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

obuch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of obuch
This is a routine that I recently started doing for laymans to make my coin act more colorfull, and got great reactions

I'm thinking about constructing a full competition program for comps couple of moths from now, could you give me any tips how should ichange the routine, what I need to work on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqSz6pOcZ......&index=1
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
It's good!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
Very nice routien...
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5340 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Looks very good, Maciej!

Thank you.

Jim
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8844 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yes, nice moves there alright. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
mfeld
View Profile
Elite user
San Francisco
458 Posts

Profile of mfeld
Hey Maciej,

There are some very nice/clean moments in that routine, and I like that each coin changes into a *different* poker chip before getting put in a pocket. That helps to throw off the thought of retaining/stealing coins back out.

But if you are looking for things to improve, I do have a few suggestions:

- Many/most of the one-handed changes involve the coin dissapearing/being-drawn into the hand and then a different coin being pushed back up to the fingertips. Changes like this lead the spectator to the easy explanation that "he had two coins in his hand, drew one in and pushed the other out." You might try using some cover for a couple of those changes so it doesn't look like the coin moves, just that it changes.

- Unlike coin productions and vanishes, changing a coin into a pokerchip doesn't have inherent emotional value. If anything, you are changing real money into "credit," which is backwards from an emotional perspective. You might try going from pokerchips to coins instead of coins to pokerchips. That might help some. Otherwise, I would suggest creating a spoken presentation to get the spectators invested in the routine and make them *care*

- The build also seems to go backwards to me: the cleanest moves are in the beginning, the dirtier, moves are at the end. If you aren't getting the reactions you want, it may be because the end of the routine isn't living up to the beginning. You could shift things around, or change the method of the end to be even better. It's easy to hook an audience with a good, but not fantastic effect upfront, but if you want great reactions, you have to *build* from there rather than stay at the same level or drop in astonishingness.

- As a nitpicky thing, the shuttlepass-type thing at 0:50-0:52 flashes pretty significantly. That's not structural, but for this particular performance, it's something to be aware of.

- Finally in this short list, you seem to be stronger in your left hand. There are a number of times when you are holding out in your right hand, and it is fairly obvious. Even without flashing, if your hand is in an unnatural position, spectators will understand that you're palming a coin. It doesn't matter if they can see it; if they know it's there, the illusion is ruined. As examples in the ending phase: the thumb and curl of the hand at 1:00, a fairly obvious coin readjustment/palming technique in a hand that should be empty at 1:05-1:07, and at 1:10, the hand looks pretty strained considering that all it is supposed to be doing is waving over the other hand. I would suggest working on these moves until it is impossible to tell that the hand holds a coin, or change the method to techniques that do not require those particular holdouts.

-----

As I said, some good work in there, but you asked for constructive suggestions, and I have tried to oblige. I hope you find them helpful.
Michael Feldman
www.michaelfeldman.com

Or follow me on Twitter - @magicianmike
And Instagram - @magicianmichaelfeldman

Check out my newest book with Ryan Plunkett: A New Angle
https://www.ryancplunkett.com/project/anewangle
billmonroe
View Profile
Regular user
Annapolis, MD
181 Posts

Profile of billmonroe
Curtis Kam has published some fingertip wild coin stuff.

Sincerely,

Bill
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8844 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Well, if you like "deeper," then mfeld certainly provides that for you here, from more technical perspectives. I can say along these lines I did notice moments that helped provide some suspicion as noted by mfeld. There is a lot going on in the routine and perhaps you gotta make it all look a bit simpler as to actions and presentation.

If I had to add anything here, I would suggest you try using the Crimp Change as one of the changes if you can, it would certainly give you a nice bit of graceful/visual variance from the more hard sorta changes the coins go through. Also, too many changes can spoil the soup, sorta like an over-extended ambitious card routine where the card keeps popping back to the top way too many times. Just my view of it but again, you do have some good stuff in there, keep building upon it and at the same time streamlining it. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
I like the A B A format.

Looks like you are doing at least 1 one handed change.

Does your act have a theme.

I don't mind using music as background, and for me I have something in mind such as a blues brother routine, (complete with hat and dark glasses) where the coins change either to guitar pics or mini harmonicas.

It's not just about having the chops/licks, but connecting with our audiences

Keep growing and glowing.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
jedoonatmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
FL/residing temp. TX
228 Posts

Profile of jedoonatmagic
Nice routine. And M. Feldman nailed it on the head as far as what I was thinking.

TJ
One for the money...., 2 for a pass..., 3 for a Fly..., and 4 for matrix!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Fingertip Multicolor Wildcoin for competition (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL