The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The Thing (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
David95
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of David95
Wondering if any of you have used Bill Abbot's The Thing in your busking act? I was thinking it might be good to get them to stop. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
David
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
00:49 into it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTEdxRmyj......=mh_lolz

Not busking, but he could have put a hat out.
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
634 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
I've used it (with some presentational changes).
The following comments are based on my assumption that you want to build a crowd.
It has many advantages and disadvantages.
It works well when:
1. The crowd is relatively far from you and dispersed.
2. When the ambient noise is really loud and you can't be heard.
The disadvantages:
1. It does not lend itself to creating a tight edge.
2. If performed silently, it does not help you create a strong bond with your audience.
3. When you finish the routine, there's a good possiblity that the crowd will disperse.
It's possible to overcome the disadvantages that I've listed above.
It's up to you to figure out how.
David95
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of David95
I had seen that video that is one of the the things that got me thinking of this as way to make them stop. RiffRaff I can see your points on the disadvantages,especially on creating a edge. I was hoping that if they stopped maybe a few would stay and I could start from there. I was thinking if 3 would stay I could start in my ropes to bring them in and make a connection with them. I just saw Losander at the Winter Carnival of Magic, and his effects just look so magical it got me thinking along these lines.
David
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
634 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
David:
The Thing can make them stop because it's very visual, and it peaks their curiosity.
However, once you put it away, the majority of the crowd will leave.
You can stop three people with ropes without doing The Thing, so why the extra effort?
Again, you CAN build with it, but you must figure out how to hook them BEFORE you go to the next thing.
(Sorry about the pun).
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
You can get a kid to peek under the cloth which would get attention. the real key is body isolation. that will sell it.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5348 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
A few years ago a young street magician, Josef K, developed a sweet routine for the Thing. It was his set-up and crowd builder. Sadly the video of him performing in a market in North Africa has been taken down from YouTube. I think Josef worried that the unique elements of his routine would be taken by other performers.

His routine included a small wooden box that also floated when the thing was put inside. He got a great deal of crowd interaction by not standing still. His technique brought the crowd in close to see under the drape.

The prop can and does play on the street.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
David95
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of David95
Did the fellow in Africa use it as a opening effect to build the crowd with or was it later on in his show?
David
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
@David95, According to Harry's Post it was his set up and crowd builder. So to answer your question...Yes it was his opening effect to build a crowd.
eddierush
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of eddierush
Hi Guys, I'm glad you enjoyed my "impromptu" performance of The Thing. When I travel to different cities I have a habit of doing 1 effect in some unusual location. Most of the time I don't film it because its so impromptu. This time I saw the opportunity, I asked my daughter to pretend to be a passerby and film it.

It wasn't my goal to "hat" but simply to provide a moment of astonishment for all the other passerbys. But I agree that it's a great crowd gatherer. Here's an idea, this is what I do ...

At the end of The Thing routine I produce a ball from under the cloth (after showing it empty underneath of course). I bounce the ball as I put away the cloth. Then I may or may not go into my talking phase of the my act.

I may post my other "Impromptu Moments of Astonishments" videos later.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
http://magiceddie.wordpress.com
http://friendsofthemagi.org
David95
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of David95
EddieRush
Do you have any trouble drawing them in to your edge? Do the most leave after you put it away and produce the ball?
David
Legerdemaniac
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Legerdemaniac
I plan to try opening up on the street with this this year as well, early attempts will involve the rather low tech approach of talking to the crowd along the lines of 'once I get this guy back in the box I'm going to start my show' not clever I admit but a rather succinct way of keeping them there. Introduce Thing - get attention - a few moves of the routine - start yelling out and drawing in, pitching the upcoming show. Simples.
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
I use the Thing on the street, but not as an opener. But I do tease the thing in the beginning, by saying I will make a glass ball float. O yeah that is one of the biggest changes I made. I reintroduced something that floats. Because the heat is a little too much on the cloth imho.
http://youtu.be/iZXDWnK9MI4?t=7m37s
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of noland
Quote:
On 2013-03-21 08:53, Roland Henning wrote:
I use the Thing on the street, but not as an opener. But I do tease the thing in the beginning, by saying I will make a glass ball float. O yeah that is one of the biggest changes I made. I reintroduced something that floats. Because the heat is a little too much on the cloth imho.
http://youtu.be/iZXDWnK9MI4?t=7m37s

What a great routine! I love it!
David95
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of David95
Very nice. Using the hat looks good without carrying a extra box.
David
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
Hey Guys,
I highly recommend using the Thing, either the Original or the Platinium version, I have both and they both work great for the Streets.
Something Koz told me awhile back got me thinking about using it on the street, so I did and even played with it as an opener or middle efect and have even used it as a closer, it works wherever you want to add it to your show depending on how strong the rest of your show is..
It works better by adding the original Bill Abbott music because I even experimented with all kinds of other music and my humble opinion is the Bill Abbott music that he uses on his video demo just fits the effect perfectly, I thoroughly enjoy using the effect because I can do it completely surrounded, no angle problems, I have a great sound system so everybody can hear it, so now it's all up to me to be entertaining with a lot of facial expressions. This is definitely one super effect for the streets.
Bill
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
How bout building a crowd with it drawing them in with the "vanishes" and mime as mentioned above, till you put it in the hat (or box) on the ground where people can't see in it, then staring into the hat from above and jumping back scared, then miming them to come and see what is in the hat, ushering them up to the line.

dump out four coins show the hat empty, hand them out for anchor and begin to do chink a chink to transistion and further draw any straglers who refused to come with rest. they will have to move up with the rest to see it because the crowd will create a wall around you.

I thought the chink a chink would be keeping with the style.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Of course it doesn't have to be chink a chink it can be a cup and you pull out a ball and begin a cup and ball routine on the ground. or any other close up transitional effect.

also it could be done on a table just as easy and maybe even more effective.

I got a chance to play with one once and I liked the quality which is important on the street.

also I have used the flip stick zombie to stop entire sidewalks, but the problem was wind, the thing solves this I think.

I think it is a perfect illusion for the lure with spectacle method. because of the putting in the box and asking everyone to come forward and see what's inside, of course I believe the box would have to be opaque not clear. this would allow for the "vanish" or production of the transitional prop to be when the people have moved forward to see it, which of course is crucial to begin a controlled street show.

I think the thing is a brilliant idea for the street.

just my opinion, I hope this helps
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

People will move forward when you ask them....IF they have a valid reason to, not just because you asked them.
Legerdemaniac
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Legerdemaniac
I like that. Like using the hat in place of the box and like moving to coins from the hat. was experimenting with producing sponges from the empty space of the box which looks good, but sponges is sponges and reactions or not, bad for the soul.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The Thing (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL