The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The Thing (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Legerdemaniac
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Legerdemaniac
Maybe a bit harsh there, forever fluctuating on the worthiness of a sponge ball
David95
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of David95
Good ideas. I believe I want to give it a try this summer.
David
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Ditto here...

I've been contemplating in using this for the last couple of years, yet
have not worked out the logistics...great ideas here...

Something I want to do is to have people able to examine the cloth at
some point.

This is the one part I have been trying to work out.

Any thoughts on this?
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
650 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
There's no reason to have them examine the cloth, unless you give them one.

Treat it "genuinely" and they will too.

I'd say more, but that'd be cheating.
Legerdemaniac
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Legerdemaniac
Let's be honest here is it an effect that's ever REALLY meant to fool anyone? It's nice visual eye candy and a vessel for some comedic and mime performance, a good icebreaker, but surely everyone in your audience that isn't a member of the Jersey Shore fan club will know how it's done. To ask to examine the cloth would be pointless, a little like someone taking your show as an opportunity to inform your audience that there is no Santa and expecting them to be surprised.

That said I will be placing it down in my bag at the end, switching, and doing a coin and cloth routine, because 1) I'm doing the routine anyway, why not? and 2) I could be utterly wrong, it happens....a lot Smile After all I have seen audiences totally convinced by the balloon swallow when I assumed that was just another case of audience humouring. maybe these effects fool more than I think, or maybe people are a lot dumber than I think.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Legerdemaniac--First, love the name. Second, I know where you are coming from, but I think you are looking at things (Things) like a magician. Perhaps many audience members will SUSPECT the method here, but played well, most will still be fooled. Zombie still plays big, and this is really a mini version to someone watching. It's very, very neat when done well . . .

Vernon--Loved your performance. Play it bigger, though!

My opinions only. But I'll be looking to add this eventually, I think.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I think we need to be careful to say people know how its done. There might be people that don't know or not want to know how its done. Some people will watch and not second guess it, as they want to be tricked the more we can sell the idea the better.

Also pepoel might know the trick with a floating bread roll and napkin. But we can take away there ideas The THING has no visible fork or bread roll. Floating table, a table is a lot heveyier than a bread roll. The looks under the cloth also sell it.

If your using it as a edge builder people wont be confidant to come up and check it out to much.

I don't know if I would use it. I feel it seats in between ill get use a lot and great, or I cant get it right and it sits in a draw for ever.

Any way just a few thougths.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2013-03-28 15:27, Legerdemaniac wrote:
Let's be honest here is it an effect that's ever REALLY meant to fool anyone? It's nice visual eye candy and a vessel for some comedic and mime performance, a good icebreaker, but surely everyone in your audience that isn't a member of the Jersey Shore fan club will know how it's done. To ask to examine the cloth would be pointless, a little like someone taking your show as an opportunity to inform your audience that there is no Santa and expecting them to be surprised.

As a magician and understanding some principals, I can partially agree.
But to the average lay person it can be magic. It is not a measure of
their intelligence in any aspect, yet I don't underestimate my audience
ever; which is why I would include the examination.

Not by handing out for the sake of examination, but as you said, having
it part of a routine. In my case, it's a coin routine with a production.
To me it would lend itself to my intention.

Also there are times that spectators will stay after the show to talk.
The question would come as so, "Can I see that blue thing?". I like
to diffuse this question before it even arises. That way I don't have
to say no and leave the thought in their mind that the cloth is special.
I want them to see that it is not.

I agree that all in all this may not be necessary as Eric mentions above.
I tend to over think things so I will have to see how it goes when
I take it to the street; which is different than any parlor or stage...

Great info on this guys.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Josef K
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Josef K
I like the thing. I've used it a lot, although not anymore. It trancendes language. It's visual. And it has a sustained sense of magic - it's not just a series of climaxes, it's continious, so whenever somebody happes to look, there be magic Smile And it's sort of mesmerizing, isn't it?

But it's also very easy for people to leave when the spell is broken. So it can be a bit hit and miss. My attempt to keep my grip on them is to transfer the attention to the box and ending on a gag. As people smile and relax I can continue with the speaking part of the show, trying to hook them further.

I made the old Marrakech clip of the thing mentioned earlier public again (thanks for the kind words, Harry):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFCVEZnGjfw

/Josef K
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Josef,
That was a great use of the thing.
What happened after the uniformed man walked up?
Josef K
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Josef K
Sorry, writeall, I had to censor that. To much blood and fireballs and gunshots. No, he was actually very nice and polite. He asked for a permit, which I didn't have. So he directed me to the police office where I could apply for one.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Hey Josef,

You had a crowd before you even opened up the box. Nice.

Did you do that to music?
Josef K
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Josef K
No music. I've never used music actually. Awesome tool for sure, but I sort of like it au natural. But that's probably because I'm a good-for-nothing hippie. Although, sometimes it would be nice with some voice amplification...

By the way, I changed a few things since this clip, and I thought I should mention the most important one - the detail of when to close the box. In this clip I do it right after the invisible thing has landed. But later I decided to leave it open and pick it up very carefully, as if it was filled to the brim with water. All focus on the box. Ditch cloth. Then close the box and proceed immediately with the box levitation. The reason of cause is that the closing the box is such a definite end point (or as a spectator might put it: "Ok, kids, you've the magician, can we go home now?") and this change helps the thing bit flow smoother into the box bit.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
I like the change Josef, It does sound like it flows better. Thanks for the reply.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5348 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Josef, Brilliant! Truly brilliant! I love watching you perform this piece. I really enjoy watching the faces of the audience. Your change to the ending is solid thinking and great street theater too! Great work man!!

Your performance is proof positive that the "Thing" can be performed on the street (and performed silently at that!).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-04-11 09:03, Josef K wrote:
I like the thing. I've used it a lot, although not anymore. It trancendes language. It's visual. And it has a sustained sense of magic - it's not just a series of climaxes, it's continious, so whenever somebody happes to look, there be magic Smile And it's sort of mesmerizing, isn't it?

But it's also very easy for people to leave when the spell is broken. So it can be a bit hit and miss. My attempt to keep my grip on them is to transfer the attention to the box and ending on a gag. As people smile and relax I can continue with the speaking part of the show, trying to hook them further.

I made the old Marrakech clip of the thing mentioned earlier public again (thanks for the kind words, Harry):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFCVEZnGjfw

/Josef K

THANK YOU for sharing that. Just beautiful work. AND...you drew a big crowd just setting up. You hadn't said a word. Wannabees like me always ask "how do you get the first few people to stop". You showed how: by being a STAR before you even actually start!

BRAVO!
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
642 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
.. at the beach.
http://you.be/IWNbq9WK6zu
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
642 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Nola,

Nice Performance. Audience reaction was great. Like the transition to the chop cup.

The only thing I would have done differently was to let the thing go over the little ones head so they could see underneath.
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
642 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
Good thought, just wary of the "grabber"
Nala
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The Thing (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL