The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » How To Be a Successful Medium (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
My Short review:
If you have "Reader of Minds" or "Pure Q&A" then you already know how awesome Voodini is and already have this.
If you are aware of how much an understanding of what real psychics do can help your understanding and performance of mentalism, you should absolutely get this.

Slightly Longer Review:

I've been waiting a long time for this book.

I didn't know it was going to be by Voodini, in fact I didn't know anyone had plans to do this at all, but I've still been waiting. A while ago, maybe a year or so, I decided I wanted to read a mentalists perspective and analysis of hat mediums do; with some level of instruction involved. Basically, regardless of any plans (or lack thereof) of becoming a medium I wanted a how to guide for how to do mediumship.

The thing is, there isn't one (WASN'T one); at least not that I could find that met my criteria. The closest one was Voodini's earlier book "Reader of Minds" which, as I've learned more about mediums and readings, has become far more interesting to me than I even thought it was, but still the emphasis on that is not mediumship. (BTW I consider "Reader of Minds" to be a companion book to "How to be a successful medium and, while they both stand alone admirably, I think anyone who has one will want the other).

Well, here we are. It's been written and it's great.
"How to be a successful medium" has a lot going for it, but the "meat" of the book (or, since I'm vegan nowadays perhaps I should say the "tofu" or the "seitan" of the book) is a step by step analysis of the show of a very successful medium. A real medium. The show is analyzed from before the beginning to after the end and everything in between. Step by step we are given expert commentary as to exactly what is going on.

After the main section of the book we are given examples of how the principles we have already learned might be applied to a mentalism show. There aren't a whole bunch of examples given, or scripted out routine, but the principles will be clear to anyone who has read the book.

So the negatives?
Well I don't really think it's a negative, but I don't believe that if you have never seen a medium perform that you could read this book alone and go out and do it. Maybe, but probably not. I would think that to seriously do this type of performance you would want to read this book a few times as well as watch mediums giving their demonstrations, working to analyze the performance in light of the principles you have learned. I would also recommend learning at least one effective divination system and reading Voodini's cmpanion works "Pure Q&A" and "Reader of Minds" as well, if you haven't already.

PRICE:
This has been a bit of an ...ahem ...hot topic of late. I think that no one can deny that this is extremely well priced a $15 (I don't have a button on my keyboaed for the english equivalent of $, but it's 10 of those!). This is not a cut and paste job and, while most who read this won't be interested in becoming mediums per se, it is not in any way an exaggeration that the information in this book could (literally!) be the basis of an entire career, "reputation maker" and "worker" take on new light when you consider the amount of fame and money that mediums have amassed over the last 165 years with, essentially, this routine.
Okay, so that was waxing a bit poetic (although it's all true) and obviously how successful you are depends on you; but unlike many tricks and routines out there, we know how successful real (or if you perfer "real") psychics and mediums can be using the principles outlined in this book, ...and it's only $15!
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Seadog93.
Dude! You have written a great review!

This is my kind of stuff that I like to do and READ about. This looks like a no-brainer to buy this book (PDF).

Best
Ray
espkeith
View Profile
Veteran user
CT, USA
353 Posts

Profile of espkeith
I agree: great review, and I had never seen a book like this, either. Definitely great value for money, if you read the above review and decide you have use for something like this.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1739 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Even without having a use for it (and I just might!) I think it's good value and a fascinating read.
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
623 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
I agree with everything said here. It;s informative, clear and fascinating. There's much to be learned by mentalists even if they don't present themselves as meniums. Most every turn of a phrase or innuendo is something that we can use regardless. My congratulations to Paul on another fine release. This books is a steal for the price.
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
Thank you for the kind words guys. Appreciate it.
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5945 Posts

Profile of george1953
Just finished reading it. Some useful tips in there and not just for mediums, mentalists can apply some of this to their work as well.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1838 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
I like this a lot, especially the preparation, delivery, and structuring. Really nice. Paul brings such neat stuff to us, let's beg him to continue!

Todd
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Special user
UK
992 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Great book.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
Quote:
On 2013-03-25 13:15, DrTodd wrote:
let's beg him to continue!

:)
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » How To Be a Successful Medium (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL