The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Dr's Billet Tear (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Wow, folks, thank you! I appreciate all the kind words.

John makes an interesting point about justification. I do indeed share a personal favorite routine that has all the justification you could want.

Whether it is needed or not is a personal choice and people are pretty divided by it. My solution was to provide options all across the spectrum and leave the decision up to the performer.

The same with providing you with three "contexts" for TDBT so that everyone, and every situation, is covered.
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
Is this really better than Osterlind's?
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
“I use my own Perfected Center Tear all the time. But I have to tell you this; I use a piece of paper from my pad. When I saw how clean Bill’s version looked with a business card, I had to learn it too. It is smart to have a variety of methods at your disposal. Dr. Bill’s Billet Tear is top notch and as good as it gets. If it means anything from a guy who has been ripping paper up for most of his life, take my advice and get this!”- Richard Osterlind

To say I was surprised and flattered would be the understatement of the year. Of course it is only late March!
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
Can the participant write in the center of the billet?

This is a feature of the John Wells tear which I very much appreciate.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes Smile! Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Jonathan100
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of Jonathan100
I posted this question also in Mentally Speaking since it also discusses the item.

In a different thread people were praising T-rex as the last word on the center tear. those in the know how of the two methods can they offer a comparison?
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
T-Tex is still not out... you have to wait. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Jonathan100
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of Jonathan100
Based on the T-rex thread some people were privy to the method prior to publication.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
I love Dr. Bill's center tear. I also wrote the introduction for T-Rex and love Ran's CT. I also use Al Mann's Mag-Eye move and even the traditional center tear. There's nothing better than having different methods at your disposal. Sometimes you get a slightly suspicious look from someone and need to change your MO.

Also, learning the different kinds of thinking in each creation helps you to determine your own handling and what's best for your style.

Dr. Bill and Ran, by the way, compared notes beforehand.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I just wrote Ran. Hopefully we'll have an answer soon.
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Yeah, I'm really curious to hear how this compares to Ran's CT?
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
You can not compare, totally different, but both are great... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of David Numen
I've written in the "Mentally Speaking" thread but think it bears repetition here.

I, like man, love studying tears. There cannot be many that have escaped my scrutiny. I even made up my own based on some ideas from other wonderful tears. This is something different. It does use - fully credited - a particular feature of another tear but the results are quite different and wholly satisfying for me at least.

Al Mann stated that audience interest in a billet reduces as soon as you make one tear. That's largely true however I feel that with many tears there are certain precise tears that need to be made and very often you are hiding a larger piece of paper than you should have if you've torn several times. Not in the Dr's tear. The heat is off as you catch what you need to after one tear, from then on it's freestyle how you tear.

Easy, deceptive and excellent. My tear of choice.
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Is this "particular feature of another tear" taken from Ran's tear or someone else's? I'm not fishing here, I'm just curious what the similarities/influences are with this.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Ran's hasn't been released yet so have no idea - the similarity has been much covered and relates to a move from Doug Dyment's R2D2 tear.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Ran just wrote me that T-Rex is out of his hands at the printer and he is patiently waiting. He said he hopes to have a substantial update soon.

When Ran and I exchanged work many, many months ago, we did so in part to make sure we hadn't reinvented the same wheel. I learned enough to be confident we hadn't and then put it away as I didn't want anything seeping into TDBT.

So I really can't say too much in comparision because there is a lot going on in T-Rex and only now can I really go back and refresh my memory and truly learn it and the several variants. Plus I don't want to risk exposure.

I will say in just now taking a look there is a variation unlike anything I've ever heard of but I'm not sure if it is going to be openly promoted so I must keep mum for now. I haven't tried it out but conceptually it looks off the chart!
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Oh, I was assuming people were talking about Think Pink. This is the first I've heard of Ran's T-Rex.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
So when you asked how TDBT compared with Ran's CT, you were referring to Think Pink?
Jonathan100
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of Jonathan100
Posted also in Mentally Speaking as there is a thread about this as well.

Could those who know the work address whether the Dr's Billet Tear is more appropriate for close up, stage, surrounded etc. or is it good for all venues?
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
How is this tear for dry hands?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Dr's Billet Tear (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL