The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » New buskers set of tricks (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
Okay so I am new t busking.
At the moment my set is,
Gather a crowd with some little card yricks,
Then do a pick a card reveal it,(similar to gazzo)
then either ropes or jay sankeys mountain trick or card to mouth
Then invisible deck
Then card to orange,
it goes for about 10 mins.
I am llooking for a closer that has a quick and easy setup, I do not like the card to orange cos it takes ages to setup.
Any advice is much appreciated.
magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
My pitch is this, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I don't get paid for doing this, I just do it because I love to perform, so if you have enjoyed my magic, please help to keep the art of street magic alive, and put in a donation to show your appreciation." I might add, "If you enjoyed the show, please tip the hat, if you didn't enjoy the show. please tip the hat... All I ask is that you fold it up so it doesn't blow away." and maybe add "for any tourists, this is a $5 bill, (actually a $20)"
What do you guys think?
Thanks
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
Just a question - you said 10 minutes. Is that right? That seems like enough material for a half an hour show. It can take me 5 to 7 minutes just to vanish a hanky. My opinion would be to work with just one or two effects and spend more time developing your relationship with your audience. It's better for them to care about you rather than care about your tricks.
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Magicman
I was thinking the same thing about the amount of material you have in your short show.
There are 4 effects that follow from your build but my experience of these effects is that it could pretty rushed to fit them in in the 10 minutes.
And I would certainly agree that your card to orange effect has the added drama of re-set plus the messiness aspect.
Let us know how you go.
Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1029 Posts

Profile of Ado
5 to 7 minutes to vanish a hanky? Unless you're a professional stand-up comedy artist, I'd be gone for a long time already... I've watched a few videos on the net of buskers like Gazzo and others, and I feel there's too much patter and beating around the bush, and not enough magic. Then, as a magician, I want to see magic, now, so that might be the reason...

P!
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
Yes - exactly - its a 'comedy act'. My preference is to treat my show as street theater, and not a magic dealer demo like some county fair hawker. The comedy allows me to create a relationship with the audience. I've been honing my act and character at various street and renaissance festivals for over 8 years now, and I've gotten a half hour show down to about 3 tricks. I know of another act that can captivate an audience for 30 minutes with one trick. On good days, I really don't have problems keeping a 100 or so people for the duration. But I've noticed that the guys I know from the magic club are the ones that tend leave early. It kind of makes me feel like they only stopped by to steal or criticize. Maybe if fellow members of the brotherhood of magicians appreciated the theater aspect of a performance by a fellow magician, and the relationship they create with their audience, they'd have more patience. I appreciate your feedback - thanks. It keeps things in perspective for me.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
D---! I just spent a half hour writing up a comment and the whole thing got eaten by this machine. I'll try to return and rewrite what I wrote. (fair warning!!!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
And now, WITH FURTHER ADO>>>! (I couldn't resist that opportunity!) --Now you know why I never "made it" in show business!!!

Pizpor! Perhaps it's a good thing that my post went "south" (or wherever posts go when they die)!
Your first post was good, but your second was GREAT. I will rethink a bit what I said.

Bob Latta~ Well said! (I do a whole thing on TEMPO, TIMING, AND TIME when I do a lecture. You've said a lot in a few words!!!

(Further):: Your last name is easier to spell than my newly (?) conferred first name! hee hee
I was writing my first attempt at this and I went 'up' to check on how long you've 'been here'.
When I came back, what I had writ' had faded away.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
...CONTINUED...:::
I was 14 and Stuart Ross came to our K-12 school with his 55 minute school show.

He did 9 tricks! I remember as if it were yesterday. He opened with the vanishing wand, then the Tarbell c/r rope, card flourishes and fancy shuffles, 10 cards across, card in orange, misers dream, sucker silk to egg, passe bottles, and to close, a big vanish box (like Thayer's Super Vanish Extraordinary). The K-12 audience was laughing throughout the show. They were thoroughly ENTERTAINED.

I was 'new'. I had been doing shows for 7 or 8 months. I had hoped to see more tricks. But, the audience was thoroughly ENTERTAINED.

It was several months before I fully realized that, THE AUDIENCE WAS THOROUGHLY ENTERTAINED!!!

And,it took even longer to realize that: MAGIC IS NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING.

Stuart became my first mentor. Later, Clem Magrum, and Roy Mayer 'came along' and I was the luckiest kid magician in 48 states! There wasn't any Chavez course then. There wasn't any Jeff McBride school then. There wasn't any magic Café then! But, I had three successful professionals helping me to learn the 'real work'! --And they didn't charge me a cent! Without their mentoring, counseling, and yes, sometimes just telling me, I would never have made it.

Here's the essence of their advice and counsel: "It aint WHAT you do, it's HOW you do it!" To be honest,it did take awhile for that to 'sink in'. --But, it did!

So, brother Ado! I'm assuming (and 'assuming' is not a really good way to form a judgment)that you are at least relatively 'green' to performing magic. Well, when you're green, you can get ripe. When you're ripe, you just get rotten! --Look at me!

Now, Further! Go back and read Pizpor's post again, and again, and maybe once more, too. (Repetition is the 'mother' of students) I think that 'he and me' had the same parents!

He has obviously learned, by hard work,study,practice, and real experience in the real world! (like all of us who've been 'out there' in the trenches!)

One doesn't learn what Pizpor has learned, by going to magic club meetings! --Those guys who came to see him and left early will probably never really understand! A pity!

I could do a half hour + on the point that NEMO DAT QUOD NON HABET. (No one can give what he does not have.) I'll save that for another time.

BTW...re: the 'brotherhood' of magicians. I think it was Al Baker who said that "...there is too much 'hood' and not enough 'brother'."

7 minutes to vanish a silk!!!
Is the audience being ENTERTAINED? THAT, is the important thing!

The Vernet TT 'came out'in the '70s, J.B. Bobo and I were cutting up jackpots at the SAM convention in Chicago. (We had been friends since 1951)He said, "Have you seen this?" and he vanished a silk. With experience, one can recognize 'moves'. I said, "Hey! What a great use for a TT!" (Up 'til Vernet came out. TTs were small stubby things that definitely could not do what a Vernet can do.) That fall, I tested it out as the opener for my school show. Great! It was a one minute bit, and the audience loved it. BTW,I used a Vernet and an 18" silk. Well, actually a half silk and now a diamond cut.

Max Howard and I have a "thing" about the old Burling Hull routine for vanishing a silk, using the TT. Burling used the old metal one, and a totally different handling to vanish an actual 18" silk.

When I want 'time', I use the Hull method and I average about 3.5 minutes. I could do longer if I used more schtick and lines, but,I'm happy with the 3.5.

I have no doubt that Pizpor can get 5=7 minutes of ENTERTAINMENT out of this simple bit.

So, '491', see what you started! This is all your 'fault'!!!

Mary Mowder says,'Dick, you are a man of a few words--but you keep repeating them!!!"

Everybody! Go, read again those fundamental books. Tarbell, Henry Hay, Maskelynne & Devant, Fitzkee!!! There's a relatively new one out: KEN WEBER'S "MAXIMUM ENTERTAINMENT" (It's excellent!)

Don Lawton, in a lecture, said, "Don't 'kill' time, 'fill' time, with ENTERTAINMENT!
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1423 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
My friend Dick; you said it so eloquently; "Here's the essence of their advice and counsel: "It aint WHAT you do, it's HOW you do it!" To be honest,it did take awhile for that to 'sink in'. --But, it did!" You can get a lot of entertainment from a TT and a silk, or anything else that costs little. Watch Slydini to paper napkins over the head. It costs nothing but a few napkins 'borrowed' from the neighbourhood fast food joint and you have an entire audience rolling in the aisles with laughter. The magic effect is the vehicle. The entertainer (magician) is the driver.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
Vanish hankie
Rope trick
card to wallett
cups and balls
lots of gags

good luck on the street
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1029 Posts

Profile of Ado
Pizpor: Thank you for your response.

I guess that waht I meant is that the vanish of a silk is such a simple a direct effect that I can't see a reason for it to take time. If you were to do, say, a bill in lemon, there's plenty of time to be spent for each action: introduction of the trick, borrowing of a bill, signing of it, introduction of fruits, selection of one, vanish of bill, drawing of a knife, opening, revelation. That's as many interactions with the audience. Now, for a silk vanish, there are so few opportunities for interaction! Introduce trick, get silk, vanish it. Then end. I like a god comedy act, but I hate when short tricks take time because the performer focuses its act on unrelated things (like this kid of walked behind him, or a remark regarding the clothing of spectators, etc...).
I have not seen your performance, so I am of course not judging it, and the fact hat I know at least one quick way to vanish a silk makes me wait for it. Wait, wait, wait. Until I get bored, because I want to "see" the work, not have it hidden in a continuous stream of unrelated patter.

I feel like some busking magic acts are bad comedy acts justified by magic (which may be however very good magic), but also very bad magic acts in fine, because they are not focusing on the essential, because they demolish the construction of otherwise good effects, to name only what I can think of now.

I don't yet have performing experience, but I've watched a few performers in real life and on youtube, and I wish there were quieter buskers who'd do more of a stage/parlour show instead of being noisy, cynical people who keep walking around. But then again, that's just about me complaining about not seeing the magic I like, which doesn't mean no one does it either... I guess it'd be an interesting question to ask at a gathering of "indoor magicans."

P!
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
Hmmmm... yeah, I think you're making some assumptions based on some the limitations of YouTube. I'd ask that you keep an open mind.

The bill in lemon example is focused on the steps related to the process. Sorry, but the process is boring. So finding ways to make each step of the process interesting is what will set you apart. I think it's a mistake for you to presuppose that because you're not interested in the by-play between performer and audience, that your lay-audience won't be either. Trust me - they don't care about the steps you go through to get to that bill in the lemon.

Street Theater is not just trying to stop a couple of cute girls and get them to ogle the street magician. It's about the act. The whole. Beginning , middle, end.

Watch a good juggler or unicycle act sometime. Good ones will do a whole bunch of little bits on their way to the big finish. They develop a relationship with the audience, which compels that audience to want to stick around and see what's going to happen.

A guy with a deck of cards is just that - a guy with a deck of cards. But a show, or an act, will have a promise. The performer needs to deliver on that promise. That's what people remember. But the concept can be hard for new performers to grasp.

I apologize for the thread getting off track, but I want to say one more thing. Someone comes to the Café, is interested in busking, and asks for free advice. One person offers advice to consider developing an act based on creating a relationship with the audience through the use of comedy and magic. Someone else offers advice that the performers should rattle off tricks as quickly as possible, because they don't care for the by-play and could get bored to quickly. Both opinions are equally valid from different points of view. The person asking for the advice is free to use whatever advice suits their goals.

And I wish you and them nothing but the best. I mean that sincerely.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well Ado...

It is very apparent that absolutely nothing that I can say is going to be of any help to you, except possibly this: There aint no shallow end in this pool. Before you jump in, be sure you know how to swim.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2013-03-22 22:55, magicman491 wrote:
Okay so I am new t busking.
At the moment my set is,
Gather a crowd with some little card yricks,
Then do a pick a card reveal it,(similar to gazzo)
then either ropes or jay sankeys mountain trick or card to mouth
Then invisible deck
Then card to orange,
it goes for about 10 mins.
I am llooking for a closer that has a quick and easy setup, I do not like the card to orange cos it takes ages to setup.
Any advice is much appreciated.

There are only 3 things to busking
Make them stop
Make them stay
Make them pay

That's it, but it a witch to do. As others have said you have a 45 minute show there and you aren't ready for that. Cut it down to 3 effects and most important thing you can do is learn the names of people in your audience and address them by name. That way you become a friend of the audience. People give money to friends not to machines than crank out tricks.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
Is it true that the longer your show is, the more people will pay?
Should I do a 30-40 min show? Or 3X10 min shows.
Which option will most likely make more money ?
Thanks
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2013-03-24 06:21, magicman491 wrote:
Thanks

NO!! remember that people are going places to do things and you are stopping them for a while. Keep it short! 3 effects 8 to 15 minutes hat them hard.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
Paddy ..is right 10 mins shows ...step right up come right in make them stay make them pay
be loud ...be bold ....3 tricks lots of patter
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1029 Posts

Profile of Ado
Yeah, sorry for hijicking the thread with my doubts..

Magicman491: try to record your performance (and the public), and to post it here. You'll probably havesome good fedback reagrding your presentation, the order of your effects, and the overall timing and crowd management.

P!
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Quote:
On 2013-03-24 06:21, magicman491 wrote:

In general: the longer you keep them, the larger the crowd, and the bigger the hat.
However, that assumes that you can KEEP them for a long show.
There is also an exception: if you have a really quick build, and a tight 15 minute show, you can get huge hats.
But duration isn't the important part regarding hats, anyway.
What's important is YOU. The reason that they pay you is because they LIKE you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » New buskers set of tricks (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL