The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » New buskers set of tricks (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
RajeshLGov
View Profile
Regular user
India
148 Posts

Profile of RajeshLGov
Enjoyed reading this post. Many good advice from Mr. Pizfor, Mr. Dick Oslund, Mr. Frank S, Mr. Paddy & many others. I wish many budding magicians could read all this. Best Wishes, Raj.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1821 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Jokes and comedy can be too different things. One can tell a joke poorly and bomb. One can tell the same joke to applause. Tricks and magic can be two different things too. At one time I thought the misers dream was boring, until I saw Chris Capehart. I think a lot of the "discussion" has been semantics and chest thumping.

I also think we can thank Dick for once again insulting a fellow magician who disagrees with him - for no reason. Yay Dick!

Let's be real. If magic is not interesting, then it is a poor tool to entertain. We would all be fools to use it when we could find something more inherently entertaining. Why do Comedy Magic when we could just do Stand-up? OBVIOUSLY we choose magic for a reason, and people watch us for a reason.

Yes, many magicians are NOT entertaining, but then, so are many comics. Both comics and magicians can practice mental m@$terb@tion and care less for the audience.

As for magic lasting just the moment, you are going to have to educate my audiences of that. A good magician can make that moment last not just the routine, not just the show, but a lifetime. This last week I have had two men come up to me and described a routine that they still were in awe about. One was mine, one was some unknown magician. Mine had seen me do some fork bending a month before, the other had seen a card rise years before. The magic lives on! I'm sure that the "magic is a moment" have had similar experiences too.

While we have a lot of talent here, how much of this thread is just magicians trying to impress each other? Ego-centric is a good way of describing most magicians (to include myself). The problem happens when we believe our own BS.

rant over
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Lots of emotion in here.

I tend to gravitate towards the "magic IS inherently entertaining" crowd.

Not to disagree with anyone mind you, nor to endorse personal opinions of people I've never met.

If magic wasn't intrinsically entertaining, if only mildly distracting, that french drop I witnessed as a kid, no context, no presentation, wouldn't have hooked me as thoroughly as it did.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1821 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Eric,
Of course it is, to some anyway. But this discussion is like trying to convince someone the sky is blue not green. If they want to think it is green, let them.

Shirtless
Certian individuals LOVE to start arguments, and one in particular likes to bait other magicians. He then insults those who disagree with him. For him it is sport.

Both my father and my wife's father got this way as they aged too, and I think that is the problem. He is a talented magician, and he sometimes offers good advice. The problem is he mixes it in with pure BS and finds it amusing to purposely stir the pot over nothing. He does have some drones who worship everything he says and are oblivious to his current nature. (I personally think he was not like this his whole life). He is no longer working so has little to do but sit in front of his computer belittle others. I personally skip over his posts the way I step over anything left on the sidewalk. It may be nothing, it may be a gem, but I don't want to take the chance of having to scrape it off my shoe.

That is what this thread has degenerated into - nothing but a means to insult other magicians so he can feel good about himself. Sad, but true. . . Have pity on him, but don't fall into his trap.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » New buskers set of tricks (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL