The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Allan Shaw Coin Production (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michel Fouche
View Profile
New user
Dumb as
70 Posts

Profile of Michel Fouche
Does anyone have any tips on performing this? I'm having a little trouble with it. Sometimes the coin doesn't come all the way to the finger tips and so doesn't pop into view properly. Are there any useful learning techniques?

Also, for those that use it, how are the angles? It feels a little weak on the pinky finger side and I'm assuming the performer needs to be slightly above the audience.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5340 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Link to video? Hard to see the "pop-up" production. Without seeing or knowing exactly what Allan does, I can say that Levent teaches a nice pop-up production on his Misers' Dream DVD set.

Jim
Michel Fouche
View Profile
New user
Dumb as
70 Posts

Profile of Michel Fouche
That's the one, Jim. He mentions making sure you can do it blindfolded but doesn't go into any steps to learn it.
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
Michel,
In my own playing around with this, after watching Levent's Miser's Dream DVDs, I tried more the idea of simply letting go of the coin and dropping my hand down, before the coin has a chance to fall very far, and 'catching' it at the fingertips. Then you can raise your hand a bit to make it look like you found it in mid-air. Of course, once this is fairly dependable, you can add a slight toss to it.

I hope that helps, and makes some sense? There's a similar move with billiard balls, and it's fairly easy to drop your hand so the ball 'appears' at the fingertips.

"Blindfolded", I think is just a matter of getting a sense of the right amount of drop and toss, and then practicing with your eyes closed. -)
Yeah, that coin may end up on the floor a few times ... "Coins don't like to be dropped".

Larry S.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1683 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Is this production in Arthur Buckley's Principles and Deceptions?
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5340 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Michel, Larry:

Yes, I have practiced this often and I can do it well, but... even with all the practice in the world, I occasionally miss - and send the coin to wherever lost/dropped coins always tend to go! My biggest problem is that when I practice, like most I continually sneak peeks at my hands to make sure all looks good.

However when I rehearse for actual performances I always have someone stand in front of me to simulate one or more spectators and I keep my eyes OFF my hands or wherever the magic is occurring, and on the spectator. That's when this production meets with failure! Not always but enough that I still have never used it in a performance. In practice I can do it 100 times and miss only two or three times. However in rehearsal I may try it a dozen times and miss it three or four times. I think that taking my eyes off the hand and coin while executing the production(s) saps my confidence somewhat. Go figure!

Most likely if I go ahead and try it in live performances I'll build confidence and get it going well. But I don’t perform that often and when I do I like not missing on anything, so thus far I've left it out.

mystre71:

I don’t have Principles and Deceptions - it's on my list with a lot of magic books! - but I'll send you a PM to explain what we're talking about.

Thanks!

Jim
SmileAndNod
View Profile
Veteran user
315 Posts

Profile of SmileAndNod
Been practicing this move a lot for the last couple months. My current record is 31 times in a row without missing the coin. (My goal is 100, still got a lot of practice to go)

My favorite way to do this move is to pluck something out of the air invisibly with the left hand, roll it back and forth at the fingertips with both hands, then toss it (from the left hand) into the air and catch it with the move.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1488 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I think the only 'tip' is to practice a lot...over the bed! So if you drop, the picking up part is not so far to go.

The handling in Principles and Deceptions is indeed the same move, and I learned it from Charlie Miller, and he did it flawlessly!

Allan Shaw was well ahead of his time in several areas and Charlie was deeply respectful of him. Practice it well, because it really looks good when done correctly.

Regards-
J.Neal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Allan Shaw Coin Production (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL