The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge glued into cups? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of cbmar
I just bought a beautiful set of copper 'cups & balls' cups.
On the inside of each one, at the bottom of the cup, it looks like someone has glued a ring of dried out sponge.
(Or, more likely, they glued in a ring of regular dry sponge and over the years it has hardened and started to fall apart.)
Can you think of why anyone would do that?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
NO, but they may have stored the cups with sponge balls in them, an over time they stuck.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of BCS
Maybe they glued a sponge in there to silence a hard final load???

What kind of Cups are they?

Bruce
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Pete may well be on the money. I had a set of cups that an old sponge rabbit was left in for (who knows how many!) years. I picked them up at an auction with a box full of other stuff. The sponge had perished and bonded to the metal in the process. Of course someone could also have used it as packing to store them. I have a set of type 1 Burtini's that have some very nice liners someone fashioned t oprotect them.

Bri
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2711 Posts

Profile of RS1963
This reminds me quite sometime ago Bill Palmer cautioned C&B's workers here not to store the balls if they are made of any type of rubber/sponge material inside or near your cups. They do give off a gas eventually that will tarnish the cups and may not be able to be removed from them.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
911 Posts

Profile of Riley
Another possibility: If it was originally a ring of sponge in the cups, such a ring would hold a crochet or other solid (smaller) ball a la chop cup....
cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of cbmar
I've tried removing the ring of dried crud on the inside of the cup and it's definitely not just a deteriorated spongeball. Whoever attached this used a very strong adhesive that so far I've been unsuccessful in removing.
And unfortunately, the adhesive remover is also removing the finish from my (what turns out to be) faux copper cups. (Seems as though they're aluminum with some sort of copper finish.) I'm guessing that Riley's right. The ring of sponge could have held a crochet'd ball.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge glued into cups? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL