We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Dr's Billet Tear!. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10635 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2014, twistedace wrote:
I'm still having a bit of an issue getting my finger to "pop it". I'm trying to be as vague as possible on purpose. If anyone else had this problem and solved it please PM.

The best way to get that pop is to find the card twice - long then short side. Normal.

Then with the side facing you stick your thumb in to the closest folds and stick left thumb in and push up - separatti g the two sides as thumb pushes all the way from bottom to top - creating a kind of tented look at this one fold. Now unfold card complete and do as you always do.

After making this extra push you will find that when making the move your finger will now better catch - facilitating a better pop and easier move.

Hope that helps.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Art Vanderlay
View Profile
Special user
All I Read Was Corinda And Now I Have
642 Posts

Profile of Art Vanderlay
I use the AN fold for this which has never failed when doing the "pop" as you described.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Art
THE MAN WHO CONTROLS THE ELEMENTS!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10635 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2014, Vincent V. wrote:
Quote:
I'm still having a bit of an issue getting my finger to "pop it". I'm trying to be as vague as possible on purpose. If anyone else had this problem and solved it please PM.

Have the same problem no matter what, that's why I prefer TREX.

I love and use t-Rex too but it is no easier or harder to me. Just different. Both are tops.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
pourang65
View Profile
Regular user
Paris, France
192 Posts

Profile of pourang65
Quote:
My biggest issue with tears is the timing of the peek. I feel like I can't find the right moment.

Actually I love the technique of the tear and the popping of the torn billet, but I have the same problem with the moment of the peek, as the "center" of the tear is large. I hope Bill Cushman can give his ideas here on the "moment" of the peek.
Anyways very nice explanations on the pdf, but I don't see any videos as it's mentioned.
Cheers
Pourang
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I have found in the brief brief amount of time using it that it's best to use two billets and spectators. I eliminate one and use that info at another time. There are other great ideas here and in the inner thoughts section, where this conversation should probably leave.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10635 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Yep inner thoughts.
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
the Armpit of the Panhandle
191 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2014, pourang65 wrote:
Anyways very nice explanations on the pdf, but I don't see any videos as it's mentioned.

pourang65,
If you are using an apple device (as I am), you will need to be sure to open the pdf file using Adobe Acrobat Reader instead of Preview as I believe Alex Tan posted on Apr 14, 2013 (I did the same thing on my Macbook) a little earlier in this thread.
Bon chance,
Larry
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2855 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
An updated version of Adobe Flash is also recommended.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1987 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
So I've been using very happily Ran Pink's T-Rex for the last year or so. After seeing The Dr.'s Billet Tear demo and reading the many rave reviews, I decided to buy it from Dr. Bill. Actually, I thought about it for months, asking myself, 'Do you really need another CT?'.

I kept watching the demo video. It was so smooth. No rushed or sneaky moves. So simple and clean in appearance. Could this really be?

Indeed it is!

The Dr.'s Billet Tear is amazing and wonderful, and looks EXACTLY like it's shown in the demo video. VERY impressed, and VERY pleased with this purchase. In particular I appreciate that The Dr.'s Billet Tear is smooth, simple and quite easy to do; no un-natural moves; no having to look away when you tear the paper or card; you can use many different types of paper or card stock, including business cards, billets made from index cards, etc. It looks AMAZING and incredibly DECEPTIVE.

Thank you, Dr. Bill, for this wonderful creation.
STARE, AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews can be found by doing a cafe search
hacksignd
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of hacksignd
Hi there,

This is my first message, I hope I am writing in the right section.

This in regards to the presentation for any tear, I hope somebody can help me.

I have performed different tears (T-Rex, Dr Bills, R2D2) plenty of times to friends and family members which still wonder how I manage to correctly predict what they have written down.

The main problems I am facing is that, after I perform the tears, the participants usually do all of the following three things:

1. They ask me to explain how the tear works
2. They ask me to perform it another time, this time with them holding and tearing the billet and with me never touching it. Obviously this latter part is impossible.
3. They yell theories on when I peaked, which are all the time wrong. The most common one is something like 'you observed my pen's movements even though you were looking away by using a mirror's reflection two rooms down to the right.'

Anyone helping me deal with this would be great.

Best
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10635 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On May 26, 2014, hacksignd wrote:
Hi there,

This is my first message, I hope I am writing in the right section.

This in regards to the presentation for any tear, I hope somebody can help me.

I have performed different tears (T-Rex, Dr Bills, R2D2) plenty of times to friends and family members which still wonder how I manage to correctly predict what they have written down.

The main problems I am facing is that, after I perform the tears, the participants usually do all of the following three things:

1. They ask me to explain how the tear works
2. They ask me to perform it another time, this time with them holding and tearing the billet and with me never touching it. Obviously this latter part is impossible.
3. They yell theories on when I peaked, which are all the time wrong. The most common one is something like 'you observed my pen's movements even though you were looking away by using a mirror's reflection two rooms down to the right.'

Anyone helping me deal with this would be great.

Best

Welcome to the Café for your 1st post - it would be great if you told us all a little about yourself and your background please as an intro.

1. Why would anyone in the world think or as how a "tear" works? Are you performing this for your wife or friends/family?

If so they may have caught you ay some point when you were "practicing" - just a guess. There is simply no reason for anyone to ask about how the tear works unless you are perhaps performing it for the wrong audience, performing it incorrectly, or not properly presenting the effect. The card should be MEANINGLESS. The tear should not be rushed. It should almost be an afterthought. The P**k should not be rushed either.

2. Why would anyone ask you to perform it a 2nd time... with special conditions? The effect is not the CT. It sounds like you are making the CT the star of the show rather than your presentation. The focus should not be on the CT. The fact that you say others are asking you to do it as a repeat indicates that you need to focus on more study of the effect, some cold reading, and doing the effect on strangers rather than your pals or family.

3. They yell theories? Who? Who is yelling? Again, sounds like family or friends. Wrong people to be performing this for one you have he CT well learned. The point here is that even if theor theories or guesses are wrong - for some reason the spectators are seeing this as a PUZZLE to be solved (magic trick) rather than an effect.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1987 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
There are people I now choose not to perform for simply because their only desire is to try to figure out and expose the method. While that may be 'entertaining' for them, it's not why I perform, and not how I want to spend my time or energy.

I'd much rather spend my time performing, engaging, interacting with people who find what I do amazing, fun, and who just really enjoy the experience.
STARE, AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews can be found by doing a cafe search
hashtagmagic
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of hashtagmagic
What I've gathered from reading posts and reviews is that T-rex and TDBT work very well with business cards. However, I was wondering whether people preferred R2-D2, T-rex, or The Dr's Billet Tear for normal paper.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4467 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
So I just found out about Dr's Billet Tear and saw it is $35 on Penguin. But you can find it half price here: http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/the-......ear.html

Just thought I would mention it to people.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10635 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On May 28, 2014, hashtagmagic wrote:
What I've gathered from reading posts and reviews is that T-rex and TDBT work very well with business cards. However, I was wondering whether people preferred R2-D2, T-rex, or The Dr's Billet Tear for normal paper.

For normal paper I would recommend Osterlinds Tear: http://osterlindmysteries.com/store/inde......ts_id=17
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2296 Posts

Profile of ddyment
R2-D2 works perfectly on normal paper. With lighter weight paper, you might want to use the ALTERNATE version taught in the book, but frankly, I like to avoid paper that's too light in weight, as people think (possibly correctly!) that you can see through it.
"Calculated Thoughts" is available at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1261 Posts

Profile of Cervier
For light ('normal') paper, I'll stick to Barrie Richardson's tear. I've tried quite a few tears and that one suits me best.
When in comes to heavier stock, TDBT would be my pick.
But I'd like to add TDBT works fine with normal paper as well. It works with all kinds of papers. The only reason why I use with heavy stock only (playing cards,...) is I'm so used to the BRT and it's so good (except for heavy stock).

I would rate BRT and TDBT as my two favourite (and I've tried about everything you can name, but for T-Rex). But if someone who didn't use CT and wanted to start asked me which one to pick, I'd recommend TDBT, not only because it's simple and efficient, but also because of the documents you get with it!!! Basics and principles are well covered and explained, the 7DS routine is very good, and of course the method is, as I wrote, simple and efficient. It's a great value!
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2296 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Cervier opined:
Quote:
... I'll stick to Barrie Richardson's tear.

It might be useful to specify what tear is being recommended here: Barrie has published quite a few (very different) tears over the years! Probably the most popular is his "Business Card Center Tear", but that (as the title suggests) was designed specifically for business cards.
"Calculated Thoughts" is available at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Let's not remember this is about Dr Bill's tear...not anyone else's....all the others have their own thread(s)..
I've asked to be banned
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1261 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2014, ddyment wrote:
It might be useful to specify what tear is being recommended here (...) Probably the most popular is his "Business Card Center Tear"

That's the one. Funnily enough, I never use it with business cards, tearing through a fold can be awkwardy difficult. So I had changed the handling a little bit for such occasions. But I didn't like that because I could get confused between the usual handling and that spectal one...

At any rate, I happily use that tear for any kind of paper of (almost) any size.

And now, for heavier stock, as I wrote, I use TDBT. It would work with lighter stock as well but I'm too used to BCT to abandon it Smile
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Dr's Billet Tear!. (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL