The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2013 entrée: Michael Kaminskas » » What is your favorite.... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Kaminskas
View Profile
V.I.P.
117 Posts

Profile of Michael Kaminskas
I really love discussing magic and I'm excited to be here on the Café. As the subject says....What's your favorite...

If you are asking favorite what?? Guess that is up to you to decide. Favorite magical inspiration, favorite trick, favorite convention, favorite move....favorite "impromptu" effect....You get the idea.

Basically, I want to hear your thoughts on what is your favorite. Think of it as a "best of" magazine...only this time you get to pick all the categories. How awesome is that?!? Dare I ask what you think is the best "online magic forum"? Smile

Fire away and let's see if we agree on anything...lol.. I'll post some of my favorites once the thread gets going!
Andy Tauber
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver WA
106 Posts

Profile of Andy Tauber
Michael a very interesting question the way you phrased. I would say my favorite is learning a new effect, especially when I can do so with my grandson. My second favorite is seeing the look on some ones face when they are amazed by an effect I have done.

I look forward to seeing what others have to say.
Andy Tauber

www.magicalmischief.org

Twitter: @AMagicMischief

“Children see magic because they look for it.”

I used to think I wasn't a morning person, but things never got better after lunch!
Mercutio01
View Profile
New user
Ocean City, NJ
68 Posts

Profile of Mercutio01
I'm very much still a novice, so my favorites are just about everything, but I spent the last few days watching just about every professional cups and balls routine posted on Youtube. I tried very hard to follow every load and switch and how the misdirection draws attention away from them.
~Cameron Mount
Michael Kaminskas
View Profile
V.I.P.
117 Posts

Yes, the smiles, the laughter, the amazement and even sometimes the groans are up at the top of my list of favorites too! I've always said that while I love magic...I mean truly love the art, it is the audiences who drive me to excel and push me to be my best.

That is why I can't understand the people who just practice and practice and never get out in the world and perform their magic routines.
It seems like such a waste to me....don't be afraid of getting caught...it is all part of the learning process...dive in and have fun!
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
My favorite thing about magic is the entertainment value and bringing people together. I spend quality time together with my daughter with magic.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
My Favorite...

Convention: Abbott's Get-together

Stage Illusion: Blackstone's Floating Light Bulb

Small Book of Magic: Dingle's Deceptions

Large Book of Magic: Carneycopia

Non-card or coin gimmick: Thimb Tip

Current living Master of Magic: Rene Levand

Funny Magician: Karrell Fox

Magic bar outside the US: Stockholm Magic Bar

Magic moment: Meeting Muhammad Ali at an Abbott's Get-together

Magic Periodical: Spell-binder
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Michael Kaminskas
View Profile
V.I.P.
117 Posts

You've got some great answers there! I created a card in balloon that was based on a routine from Dingles book. There are a ton of really great ideas in there...and Carneycopia....I LOVE John's stuff...not only is he really funny, but his sleight of hand is impeccible. One of my favorite close up magicians.

Funny little story about Karrell Fox. We were having dinner at the World Magic Summit many years ago in Washington, DC and I showed him some new things I created at the time...Strictly Business...a prining business card effect, and also "static float" a floating deck..the thing I remember is him saying that he love being fooled by a TT which btw, is the modus operandi for the effect. I published it in some lecture notes years ago but lately I've been using it to float peoples cell phones....it is great..appears impromtu and the image of the deck or phone floating looks fantastic.

As for Blackstone's floating light bulb..I was so pleased to have the opportunity to see Blackstone Jr's show in Atlantic City and I am still in amazement...from the birdcage vanishing with all the spectators hands wrapped around it to the lightbulb floating literally so close to my head that had I been expecting it I could have stood up and touched the floating sphere...to this day, it was my favorite stage show...I remember him doing the brainwave deck (standard poker size cards) to an audience of 500..it was then that I realized no one could see the card but everyone applauded anyway...why..because he was a master of showmanship. That has always suck with me.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I used to see Harry and Karrell year after year at Abbott's. never got tired of seeing them. Boy are they missed. Such great showman.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Michael Kaminskas
View Profile
V.I.P.
117 Posts

Agreed! Now that is a good use of Youtube.....find some clips of great past masters such as these men and ask yourself...why are they so good? What sets them apart from others? and most importantly.....what can I do to raise the bar for myself?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Well said. They are great teachers.
– Karl Germain
Michael Kaminskas
View Profile
V.I.P.
117 Posts

As a magician I love being creative...I love being able to think a bit differently than most. I love the creative process. However, I also realize and understand that we all stand on the shoulders of those that came before us.

Without them pushing the limits first, the magic that we see today would be far less effecive.
PsychoHazard
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of PsychoHazard
My favorite is anything I can fit in my pockets.
Michael Kaminskas
View Profile
V.I.P.
117 Posts

Unless you are doing the close up version of the appearing elephant I'd say you are pretty much set then with some cards, coins, chapstick and a few bills Smile
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
YouTube is great to see the past masters, I loved Karrell Fox, Billy McComb, Scotty York, and too many to list here. My favorites? Do we have enough time? Just a few:

Favorite Magic Bar: The first time I saw Tom Mullica at the Tom Foolery in Atlanta was magic.
Favorite Magician who isn't with us anymore: Karrell Fox
Favorite Magic Convention: Atlanta Harvest of Magic
Michael Kaminskas
View Profile
V.I.P.
117 Posts

I never got the chance to make it to the Tom Foolery but from the video footage I've seen I sure missed out on a great time!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2013 entrée: Michael Kaminskas » » What is your favorite.... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL