The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Colin Mcleod LIVE: Sunday March 31st, @7:00pm Eastern (Penguin LIVE) (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Myke Phillips
View Profile
Inner circle
Myke Phillips
1213 Posts

Profile of Myke Phillips
Hey guys,

I bought this late last night, watched more than half already and think its fantastic.

The effects so far all have some great thinking behind them and one "calling idea" for a prediction effect that I think is worth the price of the download alone.

The added touches to the "bookless book test" has really made me want to perform this routine in my shows.

One of the things that stand out to me, is Colin's honesty. I feel that everything he does, says he does, says he doesn't do and why he doesn't do it is coming from a very honest place. No B***s**t, no pipe dreams.

Well that it for now, typing this on a London bus is making me feel awfully sick but I just wanted to share how excited I am about this Lecture.

Thanks for sharing such great ideas Colin.

Best
Myke
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Every single effect in this lecture is great there is absolutely no filler but there is so much more in this lecture than the effects. This is 4 hours of pure gold. At $6 per hour this is a steal.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Quote:
On 2013-04-05 06:23, mykephillips wrote:
One of the things that stand out to me, is Colin's honesty. I feel that everything he does, says he does, says he doesn't do and why he doesn't do it is coming from a very honest place. No B***s**t, no pipe dreams.

Spot on, Myke. This is one fantastic lecture! Almost 4 hours of real world, tried and tested material.

Great job, Colin... Thank you.
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
Thanks guys.

I tried to make it the sort of thing I'd enjoy watching with routines, theory, an insight to me, all whilst making it fun and face paced.

Truly appreciate the kind words!!

Thanks to Patrick and DG for flying in and hanging out for the weekend. It is always a joy for me spending time with you both.

X
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
Ezzet
View Profile
Veteran user
Sweden
391 Posts

Profile of Ezzet
Wonderful lecture. One of the best so far. No filler material.

Take care
Ezzet
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
I loved the effect where four spectators write down memories. Does anyone know what it's called? I also loved the improvements made to the Bookless Test. These two items alone made the lecture worth its money.

I have a question about Safe Opener but I'll ask it downstairs.
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
The memories routine was taught where I talk about being original and was only used as an example. It's the only thing I'd like people not to use as I was explaining I to discuss why it's important we make things unique and also how is done it. To copy mine would, ironically defeat the point of me discussing originality. :-P

Ask me the question directly about anything though ;-)

X
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On 2013-04-06 17:39, Colin wrote:
The memories routine was taught where I talk about being original and was only used as an example. It's the only thing I'd like people not to use

D'Oh! Seems this conveniently went in one of my ears and out the other.

Quote:
Ask me the question directly about anything though ;-)

X

Okay then, I'll PM you. You can never get too many of those.
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
Truly, thanks for respecting the point of me discussing my presentation Smile .

I have the greatest respect for people who respect others, and I will gladly help with anything my friend.

Col
jjsanvert
View Profile
Special user
Paris, France
581 Posts

Profile of jjsanvert
I have only seen about half of this lecture, and I am already more than satisfied. Very very clever. If you liked (like me) "Opening Minds", you will LOVE this lecture. I think the re-working of the Banachek pad idea is just brilliant, and the rest of the lecture is of the same caliber. I did not like too much the Bookless Booktest (from the DVD), but these new ideas are absolutly great. Thanks God, I still have almost 2 more hours to watch. Simply brilliant.
JJS
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On 2013-04-06 17:39, Colin wrote:
The memories routine was taught where I talk about being original and was only used as an example. It's the only thing I'd like people not to use as I was explaining I to discuss why it's important we make things unique and also how is done it. To copy mine would, ironically defeat the point of me discussing originality. :-P

The more I think about it the more I think that maybe this routine shouldn't have been in the lecture even though the thinking behind this was one of the highlights for me. Even though I think that the point about being original was made very clear throughout the lecture I don't think Mind Guerrilla will be alone in missing that point. A lot of people attend lectures to learn effects and routines and they see the insight that is included in a lecture as a bonus. This is demonstrated by the fact that many people (myself included) will judge a lecture on the volume of useable material it contained.

I'd like to say that this is true of hobbiests but pro's will take the ideas and make something original. However my experience tells me different, back when I was busking in Covent Garden a very well known UK magician was regularly seen in Covent Garden watching the performers looking for ideas (this wasn't PD or WD) and he actually ripped off one of the guys entire straight jacket routines and performed it in a very high profile show at the Paladium that was televised.

The reality is that it is very hard to teach originality, some people are thinkers but the majority are followers and this is true of pro's as much as hobbyests. In fact in all my years in magic some of the most original thinking I have seen has come from hobbyests. A lot of the magic acts I've seen at holiday camps etc have been doing out of the box dealer items. The original thinkers very quickly earn a reputation within our peer group.

Even amongst the thinkers there are the originators like Colin, Max Maven and and then there are the tweakers like me who can take an idea and add to it and tweak it and in some cases improve it and ultimately make it their own but struggle to come up with a truly original idea. Both the tweakers and the followers rely on the originators for ideas. The tweakers use those ideas to create an original presentation whilst the followers will simply go out and perform the routine as taught.

Unfortunately there are less originators than tweakers and there are less tweakers than followers and so when delivering a lecture the audience is going to be mostly made up of followers. The content of Colins lecture is such that it will help the tweakers on the path to becoming originators and it will help followers to become tweakers or maybe even originators but alas there are a lot of followers that like being followers because thinking takes effort and the study of what has gone before.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
Mark, the routine wasn't in the lecture. I didn't perform it or teach the method, I merely explained how easy it is to make things unique. I feel it's not fair to make the point of being unique without offering proof I practice what I preach.

I trust people will watch it and be respectful. There's enough other usable 'stuff' on there. It's bizarre no one is focusing more on discussing that.

But still, it's my unique presentation, I'm proud of it but still ask people find their own Smile trust me, if I can do it, anyone can do it!

The people who do that, I will have even more respect for. The people I don't, the absolute opposite ... And a fairy will die every time they do so.

I am ALWAYS willing to work with people help them be unique. If you come to me with the basis of an idea fr anything it's always my pleasure to work on it with people.

X
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Colin, I must admit I thought you did teach it and even the name of the pad used was flashed up on screen and it was pointed out that the pad was currently on sale at Penguin, or was that a different routine? Personally I thought the use of that type of pad for that effect and the mini Q&A that followed was inspired and I think you are being far too modest when you say anyone can come up with that kind of thing.

Yes anyone can and should come up with their own unique presentation but the sad reality is that many do not. However to come up with ideas like many of those that you demonstrated in the lecture takes a certain talent. Your lecture will certainly give those wishing to develop those skills some really good tools.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
Mark ... totally different routine. The pad idea was taught in full! The other thing was just a quite few sentences!

The beauty of the pad is that the routine will always be different depending on the memories chosen. Its up to the performer to decide how they are going to reveal the chosen information.

The pad idea, I feel, is one of the best things I've created and genuinely opens up a massive amount of possibilities. It is one of the ideas which is discussed in full on my new Alakazam DVDs, but I wanted to give one brief insight to the DVDs on here.

Glad you liked it Mark.

Col.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Liked it is an understatement I found the whole lecture amazing, the routine with the memories that then became a mini Q&A was the highlight because, as you say, it opens so many other possibilities but it was completely out of the box thinking. It has got me looking at every single utility that I have and thinking "hmm what else could I use that for".

I have attended a lot of lectures in the last 30 years including a couple from Ascanio, Tamariz, Max Maven, Roberto Giobbi, Pat Page, Michael Ammar and just too many legends to mention and I would still put your lecture in the top 5 that I've attended either in person or virtually. Every second of it was solid gold and I can say hand on heart that my own performances will be better for having attended your lecture.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
Mark, that is truly wonderful of you to say.

Not only do I love benefiting audiences sharing my performances, I love benefiting our craft by adding my thinking to it.

The fact it's appreciated by my friends and peers is the highest honour.

I thank you.

Now if you can just post that on the penguin product review page, the world will revolve a little bit more smoothly for you today :-P

X
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
I just posted my review on Penguin and had very mixed feelings about it. On the one hand I'm afraid too many will see the video and misuse it so I was reluctant to encourage them. On the other hand my respect for Colin as a gentleman and a creator prompted me to support him.

I fully concur with Marks posts above. The real value of this video as well as Colin's DVD Opening Minds is all the possibilities of using the tools taught on the video. Not only has it given me new ideas but it has already strenthened effects that I presently perform.
Steve
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I have now posted my review on Penguin.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Jonathan100
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of Jonathan100
Can you comment your new Dvds, how many volumes will there be? What material will be on them? When is it supposed to be released?
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Colin, Colin, Colin!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI1ylg4GKv8
The dead were Ammar,Ascanio, Tamariz,Gobbi,page and Maven, lol
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Colin Mcleod LIVE: Sunday March 31st, @7:00pm Eastern (Penguin LIVE) (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL