The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Cup & Ball Challenge. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic123
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of magic123
Heres the Challenge -im very interested in the Cupa & balls

BUT don't want to end w/ fruit & or a Mellon.

What would be a Surprise or a shocker ending for an audience.

magic123
SmileAndNod
View Profile
Veteran user
315 Posts

Profile of SmileAndNod
I use a full shot glass (assuring the audience that it's just water) with a saltshaker and lime for the other 2 cups. (pretending it's tequila)

I'm debating using said lime for a bill to lemon.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1165 Posts

Profile of imgic
What fits your character, routine, patter or any running gags?

I've seen or heard of following finale loads:
Baseballs (part of routine about sports)
Ball of rope (them used for rope routine)
Troll dolls (running gag)
Sponge Balls (then used)
Juggling balls (then used)

Love the shot glass, salt and lime. Could see that fitting into overall routine/theme.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I produce a fake lime. But that's going back to the "fruit" thing.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Raw eggs.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Saw someone left there cup and un cooked rice poured out. Ball bearings and small cannon balls..I saw a someone do a chop cup and produced a live mice form it. Something else that might be fun is at the end say at the end with all the balls moving around and solid thru solid it dose effect the cups, as you say this you tip the cups over and there smoking.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Chopingboard
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Chopingboard
I'm thinking of trying a cute wind up toy. winding it up and let it do it's thing. I think a monkey with cymbals.
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day magic123 -
Troppo Bob has a chop cup routine (less to carry) that reflects the Gazzo ending 3 balls (red, yellow and blue) from the chop cup and a large soft ball or practice contact juggling ball (not proficient enough to use the crystal one for this yet) from under the hat which is then used for a bit of contact juggling.
I reckon that tying the loads in with the themes in the show and your character is way to go.
All the best
Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
magic123
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of magic123
Wouldn't Going into another Routine /Effect after hat production be anti-climactic ?
Kinda like making a Tiger appear Then going into a matrix routine.

Who Originated hat load , as Malini was doing it. don't believe Vernon did it . Street Buskers did it in
England in early 1900s - Does anyone have more info on exactly where it could have originated.

Magic123
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1165 Posts

Profile of imgic
Not everyone uses it as a closing effect.

Won't it be cool to make a tiger appear then do a saw-a-tiger in half routine? (Just thinking outside the box)

Not sure about who orginated hat load, but have seen Ricky Jay's routine on history of cups and balls...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgm4wZCACYg
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Magic123
If you structure the routine and your show appropriatly then yes the cups and balls can come mid show.
I finish with a 3 rope routine that has my hat lines worked in to the presentation.
When I conclude the chop cup routine with the contact juggling of the hat load - the contact juggling is only a short sequence (mostly due to skill level) that enable me to hold the amazed audience as I transition into what comes next.
But of course this could work as a closing effect as well.
Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
Might not be practical for the street but look into David Regals "Cups and Balls and Cups and Balls".
By far my favorite routine. You end with mini cups complete with balls underneath those.
Alex Elmsley has in his collected works one that ends with Salt.
shaihorowitz0
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of shaihorowitz0
Somewhere a while back in the routine before cups and balls have someone do a pick the card trick, lift the cup to reveal there card.
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
You can do anything you want....

I have another 2 cup routine that I do, not on the street.. With a flower and a cup.. The head of the flower comes off, ends up under the cup, etc... The finale, I produce water from one of the cups, and pour into the other cup, put flower in it...be creative.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
Here's a couple of alternate endings for the cups:

The Jay Sankey routine produces a bunch of surprising stuff.

Al Schneider has a great ending where the cups are full of tiny crystals. Its rough for the street, though, because of the reset.
TomFoolery
View Profile
New user
Gloucester
83 Posts

Profile of TomFoolery
If you ever get a chance to see Mario Morris' new cup and ball routine you have to take it.
I know Mario has put a lot of time and effect in to his routine.
The whole set up can be sourced from Ikea or Walmart very cheaply if you need to replace items or you have had your props lost or stolen.
Every move has been thought out logically.
Mario has a unique way of keeping the audience from walking away following the final hat load he performs a table cloth pull, having shared a pitch I know this goes down really well with spectators.

Tom
Josef K
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Josef K
Never tryed this, but it's been in the back of my mind for some time - a piggy bank. Could work nicely as a transition to the final hat pitch (I do a one cup routine as the finale). Another idea I've played around with would be to produce tea cups as the regular big loads and end on a tea pot. Neither of the ideas has left the drawing board as of yet.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
Sourced from Ikea? Do you know what cups he's using? I don't want to steal his routine, I just LOVE the idea of having cups from Ikea (like everything else in my house). Are they these?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80234873/
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
I used stuffed animals most of the time. The only time I do not is when I'm doing bill to lemon and the lemon is the kicker. The stuffed animals play well for some reason.
TomFoolery
View Profile
New user
Gloucester
83 Posts

Profile of TomFoolery
Quote:
On 2013-05-30 18:15, Zack wrote:
Sourced from Ikea? Do you know what cups he's using? I don't want to steal his routine, I just LOVE the idea of having cups from Ikea (like everything else in my house). Are they these?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80234873/

It was not those cups but if they work for you
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Cup & Ball Challenge. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL