The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » Brick & Mortar Chain Stores? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

evilash43
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of evilash43
Anyway, I am curious about actual CHAIN magic shops. There used to be those Magic Masters (I believe) stores in malls in major metro areas that sold $20 Svengali decks and $15 thumb tips to gullible tourists. But are there any other chains? Or has the Internet killed those as well?

I found a place in San Francisco called Houdini's Magic Shop that seemed to manufacture many of their own versions of classic tricks and some packet tricks.
Seemed like it may have been part of a chain, but I dunno.

The staff weren't very knowledgable beyond the items that were in their own store. (I was looking for a copy of ARMY OF 52 and no one there had even heard of it), but the few effects that I DID pick up were pretty well made and priced well (not ridiculous tourist prices).

So yeah, anyone have any experience with chain stores? ARE there any more or did Magic Masters etc go the way of the dodo?

Just curious-o
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
That's a big bummer. They were one of the first...if not the only magic dealer to offer the public a classy, upscale magic experience. They weren't places for pros or experienced amateurs to go to shop (overpriced and under-stocked), but I think the stores gave magic a better image as a whole. I visited several locations, and they all had a nice feel to them...almost "Harry Potter-ish" in a way. (Don't get me wrong...I still prefer the real magic shop experience...dusty, cluttered shelves and cabinets with a crabby owner).
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
You're welcome
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
I remember my first visit to a Magic Masters store in Washington, D.C. (I think) After seeing the large item list the and prices, I just walked over the the bookshelves, pulled one down and started to glance at it. One of the workers hustled over to let me know that the books weren't for sale - they were just there for decoration/ambiance. I was astounded. They actually had some super books though they were generally used. It was disheartening to a serious hobbyist as books are great items for anyone in magic - from newbie to the long-timer. I didn't buy anything or spend any time there.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Magic Makers did sell Tarbell courses. I had great experiences there.
My first trick (coloring book) was from the Magic Makers in New Orleans.

I too felt like Magic Makers gave magic a better image than the cheap plastic vomit
hanging up in most stores.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » Brick & Mortar Chain Stores? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL