The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Help with a routine about Australia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cliff G
View Profile
Loyal user
Madrid - Spain
296 Posts

Profile of Cliff G
Good morning all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with putting me in the right direction about a tricked themed on Austalia

For younger children I will be using the "Matilda and Joey" Wonder Imagery silks from the idea of Jim Kleefeld

But am stuck about what to do with the older ages (9 to 11)

My searches have brought up the Baffling Boomerangs as a possibility but my gut tells me this isn't appropriate

Any help would be very much appreciated

Cliff
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
David Ginn had an entire Australia show, it's probably on video or DVD, in which case you can do bits from it with his blessing.
Cliff G
View Profile
Loyal user
Madrid - Spain
296 Posts

Profile of Cliff G
Thanks Mick!

I have just visited his site - he had a book for sale there called Magic Around the World by Bill Ragsdale so I have just bought that

I couldn't find anything by David about Australia so have written to him - fingers crossed he can help me out

Cliff
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Australia has been featured on a few of David Ginn's dvds - look for kidsbiz. He's a very nice, helpful magician who has always helped me out in the past.

"Magic Around the World" has some great ideas that can be adapted to fit Australia. pp137 ff has 18 commonly owned magic props which can be adapted to lots of different countries.

It's also worth contacting Sean Taylor and other Australian magicians. He's often been on the Café.

My rough brainstorm is .. mis-made flag, Koala puppet (Axtell??), hip hop kangaroos, Barry Mitchell's Mother of all diamonds (mineral wealth), boomerangs,
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3060 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Four Card Monte Revisited ( Wizards' Journal #17 ) would be fun with a Koala Bear and some Eucalyptus Trees for it to hide in. The missing marsupial can be found hiding in your "kangaroo pouch" or hanging from the back of a helper. Easy and inexpensive to make, no one else will have one, therefore the kids will never have seen this before. Google "koala clip-art" for lots of cute images or photos you can use.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Nicholas J Johnson had an Australia show too, you could ask for some advice from him. He's a member here but I don't think he comes here much anymore.
Cliff G
View Profile
Loyal user
Madrid - Spain
296 Posts

Profile of Cliff G
Thanks themagiciansapprentice, Jim and George for your advice and suggestions - very much appreciated.

Thought I would share some of the info I have found so far - It's an interesting booklet by Michael Eliott called "Children's Showtime"

He describes 3 shows

1. Safety Act for Young Children
2. Safety Act for Older Children
3. Magical Journey Act for Older Children - (Australia, India, China, Norway, Holland and Spain)

Printed before I was born (just!) in 1970 Smile
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
Barry Mitchell has his DVD "Aussie Adventure"
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
I have always used Australian pennies in my coin routines. They are about the size of a U.S. half dollar and have a kangaroo on one side. Also they are cheap and can be found in coin shops or ebay.

Have a nice day,

Walking Bob in Iowa
Majake314
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
245 Posts

Profile of Majake314
I also use australian coins in my coin routines.
Possibly because I'm australian....
KIDDMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of KIDDMAGIC
Here's a link to a kangaroo hand puppet, if that is your thing. Cliche, I know. LOL! http://www.christianbook.com/pockets-the......odUiQA0g
Even less known as David Kidd

Baltimore, Md. Curator of

THE MAGIC OF BALTIMORE
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Profile of esther_scheffer
You can adapt "general" magic tricks to fit an australian theme.
- coins routine with australian coins
- mismade flag routine with either (mismade)australian flag or flags from different countries similair to australian flag
- stamp album with empazise on australian stamps
- sponge kangeroos would begreat as they can jump from hand to hand without anyone noticing.

Also I found critter knitter very usefull contected to australia as all the uncommon animals in australia gave me a good intro for the pattern about why drawing a weird animal Smile

Maybe you can make a didegridoo appear instead of a "wooden pole"

Also the boomerang originate in Australia (aboriginal). So maybe boomerang card trick with right pattern. Or something else with boomerang maybe.....

Vegamite and jelly instead of peanut butter and jelly

maybe a run kangaroo (or koala?) run adaption to run rabbit run
Or hippity hop koala's?
thorin_10
View Profile
New user
Bilbao, Basque Country
56 Posts

Profile of thorin_10
Ambitious Card = Kangaroo Card. The signed card jumps to the top
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Help with a routine about Australia (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL