The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Curve Ball after Curve Ball (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
I just had to share my experience from last nights show. I perform a weekly show at the Great Wolf Lodge in Concord NC. This being my third year with the Lodge I have notice now during the Grade School Spring Break season the kids can be a little out of control. The first curve ball I experience was the sound. They had a brand new clip on mic. I though I had tested it properly before the show however once the show began I started getting major feedback. This limited my movement. Instead of kneeling down to grab the next prop from my bag. I had to pick my bag up and then grab the prop. The next curve ball happened when I place my airborne glass back in the bag and the fishhook from the bottle got my thumb and sliced it open. Now I am bleeding like a stuck pig. Finally I overly excited kid decides to charge me and grab my props while I am secretly trying to control my bleeding thumb with a table cloth that I use for a easy rope escape curtain. I somehow was able to finish the show. It broke my heart because there was such a large audience that came to see the show. After the show there was very upset guest that complained to the front desk about the out of control child. I do believe I could have handled him better if I was not bleeding and I did not have sound issues. Oh well live and learn.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
This happens to everyone once in awhile. We are thrown curve balls and have to try to adapt. I too sliced my finger on my metal vanishing cane in the musical beginning of the show. I had no choice to stop the show and ask if anyone had a band aid, as it was bleeding really good and it was obvious to the audience something was wrong. There was no hiding it. Two people came to my rescue with and the show went on. But the entire time all I could think of was my thumb, and be careful what I touched as it was beginning to bleed through the band aid. We all hate situations like this but it is a live show and we have to adapt. Like you said we live and learn. Smile
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I actually carry a couple of bandages in my wallet, so they are handy all of the time. I've had to use one during a show.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2013-03-31 12:56, Donald Dunphy wrote:
I actually carry a couple of bandages in my wallet, so they are handy all of the time. I've had to use one during a show.

- Donald
Same here. It should only take one time to learn that lesson. Smile
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Hummm . . . why didn't I think of that!!!
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I am a firm believer in bringing an "emergency kit" comprised of band aids, masking tape, gaffers tape, scissors, magic marker, elastic bands, back-up mp3 player, back-up sound system, plus personal items like a toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss, deodorant, tissues, and of course, bottled water.

Our English friend Mark Leveridge even brings an extra pair of shoes ... just in case you step in doggie-doo before entering the performance venue!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
Having a bandages and an emergency kit is a great idea. Finger cots would be good too.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
As they say, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". I've read in a book a list of practical items to include in an emergency kit (... may have been "The Super Show"). The logic is that every performer can and should modify that list to best suit their own particular needs, but the given list is a great starting point.

We all have days like this, and sometimes life won't turn you loose until you've hit all eight of your thumbs with the hammer. Sounds like it was YOUR day! It makes you better appreciate the good days!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Tommy I did the same thing two weeks ago at the magic castle on a cane. Luckly it was at the end of my set but it got all over my jacket.

I hate those canes.

Ken
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
I've done that a time or two, though not with a cane! Luckily, I always carry bandaids in my table, so it's a minor inconvenience, nothing too bad.

A little tip: always buy the waterproof bandaids. They stick on much better, don't leak, and are much more flexible than regular ones!

- Kevin
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Hey guys, I can't believe I forgot to mention these two essential items for your emergency kit: cough drops and hand sanitizer!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Years ago I "used to perform the Razor Blade trick in my adult act." One day I cut my finger and had to finish my performance with a napkin wrapped around my index finger.

After that incident some twenty years ago, I started carrying a small box that contains some emergency items, including several band-aids.

Years back I made another decision to never rely on anyone's sound system. That one change has saved my life numerous times as my sound unit has rarely ever failed.

Gerry
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
A few years back we were performing at a county fair. The last illusion in our show was an older bow saw. We had only a short time to get things ready for our show and in the rush I set the bow saw up with the wrong side facing the crowd. I wanted to show the crowd that the blade went through to the bottom of the audience member that helped. I went to pull the blade out real fast so hopefully no one would notice anything. Well, no one did, but in pulling the blade out it got stuck for a moment which ended up cutting 3 of my fingers pretty badly. Good thing it was the last trick in the show, I was bleeding all over the place. Lucky for me the firemen had a first aid station set up next to us, so I was able to get bandaged up and finish the day.
Bob.
Daktari
View Profile
Regular user
USA
154 Posts

Profile of Daktari
Something you might also want to consider is adding finger cots into your kit as well. I once had a very large female raccoon bite right through my thumb at a mall performance. Fortunately no one noticed as I didn't over react and she wasnt trying to hurt me...just a love nip saying "I'm done, put me up!" which I did. Tightly wrapped a bandaid, threw a finger cot on and I was back in action.
The moral of this story is don't use wild caught raccoons in your show! Just kidding, I raise and train exotics and she was one from a captive born litter...she was at that age to retire from the shows!
Daktari
View Profile
Regular user
USA
154 Posts

Profile of Daktari
One more tip...if its a small cut than a small swipe from a deodorant stick can help stop the bleeding. Aluminum chloride in the deodorant acts as a hemostatic agent, allowing the blood clot to form.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I have always carried a MURPHY BOX! Look at the various lists above, and as Michael Baker says, "Create yer own!"

It's like planning and developing your show. Do your best to think in advance: WHAT CAN GO WRONG WITH THIS (or that) TRICK? --and then figure out IN ADVANCE how you will cope. (The rabbit always has to entrances to his burrow. When a rattlesnake enters by one, the bunny has a preplanned escape!

Even with planning, and experience, 'things can happen'! At a ring meeting in NOLA, I had a problem with the UNKNOTTING (SQUARE KNOT) HANDKERCHIEFS! (I've done it for 50+ years! It had NEVER happened before! --and you can be sure that IT WONT HAPPEN AGAIN!!!)

Incidentally, KenScott! I've used Walsh Canes for eons. I've NEVER been injured! You must be doing something 'wrong' in your handling. If you're interested, PM me and I'll try to help.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On 2013-03-31 19:19, Michael Baker wrote:

We all have days like this, and sometimes life won't turn you loose until you've hit all eight of your thumbs with the hammer. Sounds like it was YOUR day! It makes you better appreciate the good days!

Amen brother! INCIDENTALLY (!) Do you know how to keep from hitting your thumb with a hammer? (see below for answer--hee hee)

It's simple~ hold the hammer with both hands. Sorry about that! --I couldn't resist the opportunity.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Curve Ball after Curve Ball (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL