The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Blaine on TV tonight! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mattneufeld
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mattneufeld
Dare I start another firestorm!!! (As I did with noting the most recent Fox exposure special.) Anyways, tonight there's another David Blaine show, where he's completing his latest thing of standing on a pole in Central Park for 35 hours and then jumping off onto some cardboard boxes!!! I and some others have talked about some intriguing methods in which Blaine accomplishes this--via some gimmicks and gaffes--and was curious: What do you guys think? Did he stand on a pole for 35 hours ungimmicked, or what do you think the gimmick is? Let's get things started.....
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6185 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Well, I haven't seen the clips yet, but I did see a brief picture of the pole... it's pretty wide... anything could be in there. I would say that his team has consulted with Hollywood stuntmen who perform things of this nature all the time. I've got several ideas, but I'll hold off until the show airs.
greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
JBmagic
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
110 Posts

Profile of JBmagic
I have absolutely no reason to believe it is gimmicked. I have stayed up for 35 hours without sleep many times. I can't see myself having a problem standing on a 25" platform for 35 hours either. My only problem would be the height, since I fear heights, my nerves would let loose and I would probably fall.

Blaine obviously doesn't fear heights, just the 20/20 interview where he went to the edge of that rooftop, that alone was enough to make me queezy.

So, I don't see it as that big of a deal, except the jump at the end... he's insane for that. I realize the physics behind the empty cardboard boxes and the air and rate of compression blah... blah... blah...
I say he's nuts, and my vote is that he really did it Smile
Jay Buchanan
dannywhit
View Profile
Regular user
Oak Ridge,TN
121 Posts

Profile of dannywhit
I heard that he is planning on staging his own death tonight.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1855 Posts

Profile of Platt
Well, the shows over. Looks like I'll be the first to post my opinion. One word: Weak.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
Toluca Lake CA
701 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
I have Just watched the show and sorry Dannywhit he did not kill himself. I was a bit disappointed in the show it had very little magic in it and a lot of him goofing off.
Smile
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1240 Posts

Profile of Jeff
After watching this junk, I think he was trying to kill his career.

What a waste of my time.

Jeff
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6185 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I wouldn't count him out. We keep thinking like magicians here and not like regular folks. The regular people don't care if the show is filled with effects... he has become a star now and that's all they want to see.

I made that comment about Copperfield awhile back. I paid over seventy for one of his shows and it had less than ten effects and most were ones seen on TV... They loved him.

When you are a star different rules apply... all you have to do is show up... and he did.
Greg
JBmagic
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
110 Posts

Profile of JBmagic
I agree Greg. I wouldn't count him out either. A ton of people showed up at 11pm on a work/school night to see him jump. It may not have been very magical, but they love him. I never saw any of the advertisements for this special mention that it would feature much magic, they built it all around the pole and the jump. Two people that I know (non-magicians) went up there tonight, they called and said the energy there was incredible, there were people for blocks and blocks.
I don't think Davids goal is to blow people away with the greatest magic, I think he wants to be different, talked about and dark. Well... watch the talk shows tomorrow, I bet he is a main topic on every one around NY.

Jay
Jay Buchanan
dannywhit
View Profile
Regular user
Oak Ridge,TN
121 Posts

Profile of dannywhit
The people love him.. Why... I don't know.. I feel like I wasted an hour of my life watching that garbage. What does passing out in the middle of the street have to do with magic? I know, it's my fault for watching it but come on. The guys got guts but where's the talent?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6185 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
He's a star now... he doesn't have to do anything to prove himself anymore. I gave an example of this once before: I'm sure many of you on these boards have seen and loved many movies and stars that true actors wouldn't see if you paid them... but those people are stars so the public has created an opinion that they are worth seeing no matter what they do.

No matter what you think or want to think, David will be around for awhile simply because he has become a star in the public's eye. We can hate the fact that he is not doing magic as we know it, but so what... what he wanted to do is be famous, and so he is.
Greg
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4819 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Just a thought here, if I may.
Over the years, I have become friends with a number of so called stars.
A lot of magicians, but many famous musicians as well.

The one thing I have learned, is they are just people like you or I, they wake-up every morning, and put their pants on one leg at a time.

I have come to the realization that stardom, be it movies, music, magic, etc. is actually the biggest illusion of them all.

They have their illusion, and I have my reality...I think I like it that way. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
John Zander
View Profile
Loyal user
Downey, CA
247 Posts

Profile of John Zander
I'm sure David's show was a good one but no way was I going to miss "Law and Order" Smile
Thank you,

John Zander

The Award Winning

Comedy Magic of

John Zander

http://www.ZanderMagic.com

http://www.AllMagic.net
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6185 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
John, are you the same John that I had lunch with at Hamburger Hamlet?... Reed and Shoot were there.
Greg
Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Raymond Singson
Hey, guys. Throughout my entire time participating these forums, I've never really posted my opinions on Blaine before, so I guess now's the time to come out with what's on my mind.

I think Vertigo was still very entertaining, despite the lack of magic used. Like all primetime specials, it had its high points and low points. I particularly enjoyed the filler scenes of his just goofing off and messing around with people's minds. It actually demonstrated the man has a sense of humor. I cracked up when he commented on the 'weird guy' during the watch steal performance. Magicians will continue to criticize him for the things he does, but he already won the public's approval so whatever we say really doesn't matter. I commend him on his originality to the art.

I also feel that Blaine has advanced a lot with his actual magic. He's not using folding coins or common amateur props anymore. He's doing magic that actually baffles magicians alike, and I think we should appreciate that. Also, notice he didn't do a single card trick on Vertigo... considering his older material has become rather cliche, I think he needed to focus on more close-up magic rather than just the ol' card-to-impossible location. He models himself after Houdini; in his day, magicians didn't like Houdini's public praise either.

I felt that the pole stunt was anti-climactic, and thought something should have been done to make it more exciting. Perhaps, he should have lost his balance, fallen off the pole, but struggle to hang on to the top, just to have a sudden scare in the audience. That would have been more entertaining... he didn't even scream as he jumped. Oh well...

I'll post more later on... but I'm in school now.. so I'll talk about it all later. Have a nice day, people...

RT
“The purpose of art is to lay bare the questions which have been hidden by the answers.” -- James Arthur Baldwin

raymond.singson@gmail.com
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2324 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
The special he put on was in my opinion, unique. Entertaining in every aspect. I loved the newly added humor. My favorite was when David told the girl to look him in the eye and then he screamed in her face and scared her. I was rolling on the floor laughing.

It gave me ideas on new walk around presentations. I got quite a bit from the special. It was also nice to see some of the old clips added into it. Cheers for David. Smile Smile
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
I have so many people come in my shop and are freaked out by Blaine. So I show them for less than $100. they can do all of his tricks. (with some practice) All I know is that he gets paid a lot of money to lay down and stand still for a period of time.

A comment on the "magic" part of the show. The watch steal was ok and the "through the glass" effect to get the watch back was not a bad twist on an old trick. But how many jewelry stores, especially in N.Y., do you know that leave anything in the front window after they close?? Am I the only one that picked up on this? Oh well, off to trick people with a coin. haha.
dannywhit
View Profile
Regular user
Oak Ridge,TN
121 Posts

Profile of dannywhit
I'm sure David Blaine is keeping a smile on every magic dealers face in the world, but, he's hurting the rest of us. Sometimes being too popular can be a bad thing. Especially when you're talking about an art that's based on secrets. It seems really strange to me that FOX would air a show exposing magic the week before ABC shows Baine... Hmmmmmmm... THINK ABOUT IT GUYS.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6185 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I've had some people tell me that I'm defending him too much, but I'm not... I'm just calling them as I see them. I did notice one thing at the end of this thread: some were giving Blaine the credit for the effects. Let's remember that he has a team of knowledgeable magicians backing him and coming up with all the stuff.

I said it before and it still holds true: The smartest thing about Blaine is that he knows he's not smart so he hired the right guys. He will continue that path he has started because they will continue to pay him and lots of people will continue to watch.

Think about how many times his name is mentioned in these posts... even when it's mentioned in a bad way that's still publicity. My hats off to his team for coming up with things that keep the public coming back for more.
Greg
dannywhit
View Profile
Regular user
Oak Ridge,TN
121 Posts

Profile of dannywhit
Can't get away from Greg on this one! Smile

I see your point, but I still think I made a strong view. I'm done.. No more publicity out of my mouth for.......

What's his name again?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Blaine on TV tonight! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL