The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » How big an audience for Cups & Balls??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Hi everyone,

What is the maximum of people the Cups & Balls routine (Vernon's for example) can be done for in an amphitheater???

I would appreciate your inputs, as I have never performed for more than 60 something persons.

Thanks in advance,

Ronnie Lemieux
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Where is not so important as how visual it is. I don't mean that your routine has to be flashy but the balls have to be able to be seen. I use the white baseballs in brass cups on a bright red fabric so that they can be seen and separated from a great distance. As long as they can see the balls and the cups and tell what is going on, your golden. Otherwise you are just doing a lame cup stacking routine.

On a side note, most ampitheaters I have worked in are on a raised stage with the audience on a level surface below you. Depending on the stage some people may not be able to catch what is going on from up close.

I have done C&B for over 100 people with no problem on the street. of course there you can control the sight lines a little easier.

Mat Random

BTW make sure they can hear you too!!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Paul Daniels has done the chop cup for 2500 or more in audience.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
For stage performance I use van Dokkum jumbo cups and 2 inch spongeballs. The size of the balls is more crucial than the size of the cups when performing for a larger audience.
Most of my energy in cups and balls was put in a two cup routine. In 3 years I see myself performing more and more for a larger audience. So the last year I've been working on "translating" my normal 2 cups routine to the jumbo cups/spongeballs routine.
I want to leave the impression that if someone sees both versions he thinks they are the same, except for the bigger props.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
454 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Recently saw Bob Shields do the cups for about 200 people in a similar setting. He killed.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Visability is the key. I have performed it at Ren Faires on small and large stages, from 30 to 600 people. I would think that the true impact is lost at those numbers, unless you have TV monitors for those who are far away. I typically do it for 3-30 people.

Kirk
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK www.MatthewLaskey.com
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
Take a look at the photo of Nick Nicholas in the opening stages of his cups and balls street act for a typical "Nick Nicholas" sized crowd. Smile

The photo is on his street section of his website:

http://www.nicknickolas.com/STREET.html

M@t Smile
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Darn impressive photo that is!!!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » How big an audience for Cups & Balls??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL