The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Converting a standard Slippery Sam to a locking one? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
After looking high and low for a locking Slippery Sam quarter gimmick the best I could do was a standard slippery quarter gimmick which doesn't lock.

My question is two-fold. First, does anyone know where I could get a locking slippery sam quarter gimmick?
If not, then second, can the standard one be converted to a locking one? My thought was just to slightly bend the edge inward on opposite sides of the rim to simulate the locking feature. Before potentially ruining my gimmick I thought I'd ask if anyone else has tried this and if so, then any assistance in how best to proceed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Call Todd Lassen! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I've tried it with a silver dollar shell and it doesn't work very well because the rim of the shell isn't strong enough. I believe Bob Kohler discusses this on the DVD that comes with his set. The rim of the shell on the Lassen sets is thicker and stronger.

It may work a little better with a quarter shell because of the smaller circumference.

The way I did it was to press each side of the shell rim (where it's cut) against a hard surface.
vampiro
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
240 Posts

Profile of vampiro
Hi Steven,
I am not sure what you mean by locking. Since the slippery Sam cannot be passed out anyways, I am assuming that you just mean that it will stay with the other coin. I would tend to think the answer is with a m****t and a S**M on another coin. This would tend to stay together, but
to truly nearly lock you would probably go with a thin m****t on the Sam, with a m****tic coin (this would probably be a little thinner than a normal coin). You could use these as a set. I like the idea, and it might have some advantages over the TUC.
Any ideas? I appreciate your creativity.
Scott
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
David, on a recent thread someone did just that but was told that Lassen doesn't like to work on Slippery Sam gimmicks because they're too fragile and break too easily.

NicholasD, the rim on the shell I have seems fairly thick though I bought it second-hand some time ago so I don't know who made it. I guess the only way to find out is to give it a try.

Scott, you are correct. I just want something that, when shown as a single quarter, I can toss is casually from hand to hand without worrying about it separating. Poof-Daddy and I were chatting about that very topic--shimming the shell and using a mag coin. He passed along a few tips and that is something else I'm going to try.

Thanks everybody!
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2013-04-05 16:47, NicholasD wrote:
I've tried it with a silver dollar shell and it doesn't work very well because the rim of the shell isn't strong enough. I believe Bob Kohler discusses this on the DVD that comes with his set. The rim of the shell on the Lassen sets is thicker and stronger.

It may work a little better with a quarter shell because of the smaller circumference.

The way I did it was to press each side of the shell rim (where it's cut) against a hard surface.

Another thing that worked for me was to use very thin strips of mouse tape stuck to the rim, just enough to hold coin when inserted. It worked well for me until I got a little extra s**m and a ma*****c insert. That works much better but is limited to the one insert where the tape in the rim will hold any coin of that size.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Where Dusheck's item that some call Sam used mineral magnetism to stay in place, Kohler and his team used greater circumference to permit a mechanical action.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1169 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Is Dusheck's item still available somewhere?
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Sometimes one can find the Dusheck coin gimmick for sale used.
Duscheck's trick is very different than Digital Dissolve, the trick
is not the same, in fact the gimmick completely different as the effect.
Two very different effects happening.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2013-04-07 09:33, shakuni wrote:
Is Dusheck's item still available somewhere?

Auke van Dokkum makes a pretty good one.
You can contact him here: http://www.cupsandballs.nl/
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2013-04-07 11:30, Octopus Sun wrote:
Duscheck's trick is very different than Digital Dissolve, the trick
is not the same, in fact the gimmick completely different as the effect.

Both Steve Dusheck items, slippery and ultimate, are for c-s transpositions. No comment on the DD item.
Using a Dusheck type gaff for dekolta type (billiard) applications and the lock were first put on the market by Kohler.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
A little history according to some things I have found about the ever elusive "Slippery Sam"
https://hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/produc......tem=6955

Slippery sam is actually a pivoting coin by Steve Dusheck. But a half rimmed shell is commonly referred to as a slippery sam. it is way different than an expanded shell in that the surrounding edge only goes half way around and when lined with teflon or mouse tape slides silently to make 1 become 2 or 2 become 1. If it is made right as part of a set, it will even "lock" on the other coins of the set. Just buying the gaff may work with the coins you have but probably not as well as a tooled set.

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2013-04-07 20:32, Poof-Daddy wrote:
A little history according to some things I have found about the ever elusive "Slippery Sam"
https://hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/produc......tem=6955

Slippery sam is actually a pivoting coin by Steve Dusheck.

Hey Poof, I don't think that's right. Although I've never seen Dusheck's Slippery Sam (the original, not the copies), I'm fairly sure it consists of two separate gimmicks. You might want continue your research in secret sessions to find out more.
Alan
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I did manag to get the low down from Jonathan via PM . That was from an older thread on the same subject and it seemed to make spence at the time

Smile Smile
James Kellogg III
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego
117 Posts

Profile of James Kellogg III
Get a magnetic quarter and put a steel shim in the slippery shell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Converting a standard Slippery Sam to a locking one? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL