The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Marc Oberon Jazzing at the Castle (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1523 Posts

Profile of Cain
You probably saw him do pretty much the same act for Penn & Teller. Some minor edits...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7UZpGNKug4

Love the flashpaper production.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1843 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Its not really memorized deck but open index deck and not even really jazzing but rather predetermined routine. But really nice never the less Smile

J-M
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1523 Posts

Profile of Cain
As far as I've always known "open index" and "memorized deck" are essentially synonymous. Is it a pre-determined routine? Well, yes, for the most part, and audience participation is low (unlike the Blaine video posted earlier), but I think this still qualifies. Early on he has someone name a card, then a number.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On 2013-04-14 01:09, Cain wrote:
As far as I've always known "open index" and "memorized deck" are essentially synonymous.

I think that what J-M is suggesting is that the primary principle involved here is not a memorized stack but a deck containing a variety of prepared key cards--short cards? thick cards? corner shorts? it’s impossible to know just from watching--that permit quickly cutting to any desired card. The true antecedent here is Billy O’Conner’s Instanto Deck and similar gaffed decks used by Cardini, Jordan, and others.

Such a deck does require that the cards be in a known order, but that order need not be a memorized stack. (Although it’s certainly possible that in this case it is.)
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
363 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
This is a product that Marc sells. It's a Si Stebbins deck with a few little extras.
baobow
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of baobow
This was his fism act that won him first prize in category in 2009.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Marc Oberon Jazzing at the Castle (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL