The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Empty then full Cigarette packet.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sparkybear
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Sparkybear
Hi all,

Does anyone know, and point me in the right direction to buy / read how to make the following trick....

A while back I saw a magician at a bar I go to CLEARLY show an empty packet of cigarettes, local brand, he then "did a little magic" and again opened the packet again and there were a number of cigarettes in it, at least one, the one he pulled out, was a full length, normal cigarette, he then proceeded to do s number of tricks with the cigarette. Please note there DEFINITELY wasn't a s****h.

I have been asked to do a "talk" for some 10 - 14 year olds about NOT smoking. I would love to incoporate some magic into the "talk" to make it stronger and more memorable, rather than just the usual "don't smoke" stuff. I have couple of ideas, but would like to start off and end them with the above trick, the end going in reverse obviously, given the message being given.

Any help would be appreciated.
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
672 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Doing a trick with cigarettes is probably not the best idea given the theme of your talk.
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1009 Posts

Profile of Ado
I don't know if this trick is marketed, I used to do my own gimmicked packs 15 years ago. I've quit since. Not knowing if the effect is marketed, I'd rather not say how it's done (Also, I didn't understand s****h, soI can't say if my version satisfies your constraint).

If I were to do a trick for that situation, though, I'd probably go for something related to health. Maybe a colouring book where the lungs turn black? Or a variation on Twisting the Aces where the backs of your cards are teeth of terrible smokers?

P!
Sparkybear
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Sparkybear
Quote:
On 2013-04-06 05:36, Bulla wrote:
Doing a trick with cigarettes is probably not the best idea given the theme of your talk.

I can understand your thoughts but I beleive I have it covered. I have given these talks a lot and I, unlike other talks I have heard (just like my talks on drugs) I don't shirk away from cigarettes, I don't hide them away, I actually use them to turn people AWAY from them. Hence the final stage being making the cigarettes dissappear. Indeed if I can make the prop easily I will tear up the pack, scrunch it up and throw them away.

I have quite a high success rate. Alonside getting people to quit.

But yes it is a balancing act between them helping the topic or getting in the way. but usually by the time I get to the end there are a lot of green faces lol
Sparkybear
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Sparkybear
Quote:
On 2013-04-06 05:55, Ado wrote:
I don't know if this trick is marketed, I used to do my own gimmicked packs 15 years ago. I've quit since. Not knowing if the effect is marketed, I'd rather not say how it's done (Also, I didn't understand s****h, soI can't say if my version satisfies your constraint).

If I were to do a trick for that situation, though, I'd probably go for something related to health. Maybe a colouring book where the lungs turn black? Or a variation on Twisting the Aces where the backs ofTwisted aces your cards are teeth of terrible smokers?

P!

Heheheheh what is it they say... Great minds think a like ....lol. Part of my planned talk uses "the magic colouring book" idea and one of the pictures is, as you suggested lungs, another shows discoloured / rotting teeth and another has the legs having been cut off. It is very hard hitting as I said in another post.

A lot of people think it is too hard hitting, but I learnt whilst in the Police doing drug related talks that the "Just say no" type lectures are too "namby pamby". Kids of today are not stupid or naive. I would rather shock them and show them reality AND steer them away from cigarettes and drugs, than be nicey nicey and NOT be as successful. As I say I have a very good success rate.

All parents of the children are warned in advance how hard hitting the talk is. Indeed they are shown the whole talk (funnily enough a few parents I have shown it too in the past who were smokers decided to stop after seeing it lol) I also discuss with them WHY I do it so hard hitting. Only a few decide not to allow there child to attend.

The s****h word...... Does sw***h help? The same packet was used throughout the trick.

I never thought about the Twisted aces idea. I will have to think about that idea more, thanks.
Andy Gemini
View Profile
Regular user
England
118 Posts

Profile of Andy Gemini
I too have been looking into this exact trick, without success, although mine was just for entertainment purposes as I enjoy these kind of tricks showing something empty/full then vice versa. I think they are very powerful!
Sparkybear
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Sparkybear
Quote:
On 2013-04-06 09:43, Andy Gemini wrote:
I too have been looking into this exact trick, without success, although mine was just for entertainment purposes as I enjoy these kind of tricks showing something empty/full then vice versa. I think they are very powerful!

Andi

I love them too. Yes I have a specific idea for this trick, but would love to perform it anyway. The guys I saw doing it used it to enter into a mini routine of small snappy tricks involving a cigarette and made it a 5 - 10 minute performance that was very good - Appearing Cigs in packet, then cigarette through item of clothing, cigarette through a beer mat, appearing / disappearing cigarette, broken / restored cigarette, Levitating cigarette. Individually small, quick tricks, but played well. The "audience" loved it.

If I have any success finding it I will let you know.
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1009 Posts

Profile of Ado
http://www.internationalmagic.com/acatal......015.html For sale for more or less ten bucks. I haven't seen theirs, but I bet it's the same old principle as the one I used. I will therefore not reveal my method...

P!
Sparkybear
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Sparkybear
Ado

Do you know if they are still open for business? The site looks kind of aged (Old info but little of any new info) and I have tried sending them an email and not gotten a reply.

G
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
[quote]On 2013-04-06 09:03, Sparkybear wrote:
Quote:

If I were to do a trick for that situation, though, I'd probably go for something related to health. Maybe a colouring book where the lungs turn black? Or a variation on Twisting the Aces where the backs ofTwisted aces your cards are teeth of terrible smokers?

P!

Heheheheh what is it they say... Great minds think a like ....lol. Part of my planned talk uses "the magic colouring book" idea and one of the pictures is, as you suggested lungs, another shows discoloured / rotting teeth and another has the legs having been cut off. It is very hard hitting as I said in another post.

A lot of people think it is too hard hitting, but I learnt whilst in the Police doing drug related talks that the "Just say no" type lectures are too "namby pamby". Kids of today are not stupid or naive. I would rather shock them and show them reality AND steer them away from cigarettes and drugs, than be nicey nicey and NOT be as successful. As I say I have a very good success rate.

All parents of the children are warned in advance how hard hitting the talk is. Indeed they are shown the whole talk (funnily enough a few parents I have shown it too in the past who were smokers decided to stop after seeing it lol) I also discuss with them WHY I do it so hard hitting. Only a few decide not to allow there child to attend.

Hey Sparkybear>>>
Yes! I agree with your thinking!
"You" must get their attention! "namby-pamby" AINT GONNA DO IT!!!

Back in the days when horses and mules did the work on farms, a farmer's mule died. He went to the livestock auction sale, the next day, to buy a mule. The seller claimed that his mule was "the smartest mule in the country" and could plow a straight line without a farmer "driving".

The farmer bid on the mule, paid a record high price, and took the mule home.

The next morning, he hitched up the mule, said "Giddap" and the mule just stood there. "Giddap" the mule stood there. The farmer had a telephone, so he called the seller. "This mule wont even move!" The seller said that he would come to the farm. Half hour later, the seller arrived, got out of his pick up truck, walked over to the mule (picking up a big stick on the ground on the way)and whacked the mule between his eyes. The mule immediately started to plow (all by himself)a nice straight furrow. The seller then explained to the farmer: "FIRST YOU MUST GET HIS ATTENTION!"
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I can empathize with your ANTI SMOKING PROGRAM!

In the spring of l970, I had just completed a tour of about 375 schools with my magic program for the North Dakota State University. I was asked if I could return in a year with a lecture program that would create an awareness and foster a concern for the pollution problem,which had been garnering a lot of publicity.

I saw it as an opportunity to try using magic effects as a visual aid for such a lecture. Several months of research and another month of writing and producing along with a few trial presentations in local schools, and I was 'ready'!

In the following school year, I did about 350 programs and it was a successful tour. The school administrators were pleased. Magic Inc. published the complete script and prop list in the SUCCESS BOOK Vol 2.

I had broken some new ground. As far as we knew, it was the first time that such a program with a complete script and prop list had been published.

I mention this here, because,itmay give you an idea of publishing such a program on SMOKING.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Sparkybear
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Sparkybear
Hi Dick.....

Yep I agree with you 100%.... Years ago when I first did the "don't do drugs" thing I always knew I was getting the "yeah, yeah, yada yada yada" silent treatment from the kids... THey knew better... Drugs werent as bad as the oldies made out.... You know the sort of stuff. Knowing that, I included showing slides of drug addicts who had been found dead after OD'ing and showing them the REAL starker side of drugs..... THAT got their attention and all of a sudden using the same lecture, the same words started penetrating a lot of their heads. Stupid thing was though despite good results and feedback, I was told to pull the pictures as it was "too horrific". Yeah well maybe it was "horrific" but too me it was MORE HORRIFIC not to use them and have less effect on the kids and have THEM be the ones in the picture. - GO FIGURE !!!

Wow !!! You must have been really breaking new ground (no pun intended with the mule ;-) ) back then. A real "trail blazer". Wow!!! You must have gotten a real kick out of it. Using the thing you love doing for a REAL positive outcome that could help effect a lot of people's lifes. Good on you.

I never thought about taking it as far as publishing an idea, but it is worth a think about. A real good hard think.

Thanks very much for your thought provoking reply mate.

G
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22842 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-04-10 06:25, Sparkybear wrote:
Ado

Do you know if they are still open for business? The site looks kind of aged (Old info but little of any new info) and I have tried sending them an email and not gotten a reply.

G

Really, you question one of the most famous magic stores in London, England. Did you bother to look at the web site at all. Do you know who Ron MacMillan was? I just cannot believe such an question, WOW!

To answer your question, yes International Magic is open and in business.
Sparkybear
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Sparkybear
Hi Bill,

To be honest I got a direct link to the trick I was looking for so I went there and thereafter just looked at a few pages which were advertising OLD PAST EVENTS. But no I didn't go any further in looking around the site, I had some questions to ask about the trick anyway so I went straight to the contact page.

Did I know the shop? Obviously not and I don't live in the UK. DO I know who Ron McMillan was - Yes a very good, award winning, very highly regarded magician. Did I know he opened a shop yes, did I know what the shop was called, obviously not. You obviously do know all of the above, I didn't hence the question.

I have emailed them 3 times now and received no answer to any of them. I have phoned the phone number and gotten no reply. So opened by a great magician or not, most famous shop or not, I will not be ordering from a business who don't answer simple correspondence, which is unfortunate cause I really wanted that trick.

Thanks for answering my question though.

G
mrmakeithappen
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of mrmakeithappen
Quote:
On 2013-04-05 21:28, Sparkybear wrote:
Hi all,

Does anyone know, and point me in the right direction to buy / read how to make the following trick....

A while back I saw a magician at a bar I go to CLEARLY show an empty packet of cigarettes, local brand, he then "did a little magic" and again opened the packet again and there were a number of cigarettes in it, at least one, the one he pulled out, was a full length, normal cigarette, he then proceeded to do s number of tricks with the cigarette. Please note there DEFINITELY wasn't a s****h.

I have been asked to do a "talk" for some 10 - 14 year olds about NOT smoking. I would love to incoporate some magic into the "talk" to make it stronger and more memorable, rather than just the usual "don't smoke" stuff. I have couple of ideas, but would like to start off and end them with the above trick, the end going in reverse obviously, given the message being given.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm sure your talk is already over, but I just ordered at trick from Ellusionist that looks like it might be able to do something similar to what your describing.

http://www.ellusionist.com/smoked-by-chr......man.html

I haven't received it yet, but disappearance looks quick & clean. Could maybe reverse the disappearance to make it a production?
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1071 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
David Regal had an effect with a pack of cigarettes where he shows the pack full of cigarettes, then in a flash, it changes to a bunch of gum. I believe the effect is "Got a Light?" from his book Close Up & Personal. I know that's not exactly what you asked for, but might be something to consider.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
DrewPett
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of DrewPett
http://www.ellusionist.com/smoked-by-chr......man.html
Could this be what you are looking for?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Empty then full Cigarette packet.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL