The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Carrying Case and Table Base combination (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

skyfire
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of skyfire
Hi, I am looking into getting a Carrying Case and Table Base combination for carrying around some close up magic. I have found some as cheap as $90.00, with shipping included, to $230.000 plus shipping.

So here is my question, does anyone know if these cheaper Carrying Case Tables tend to be wobbly, or not as sturdy? I am looking for a portable surface where I would be able to perform the Cups and Balls routine, and the Three Shell Game without worrying about instability or wobbling going on while performing. The fact that the portable table is also a case where I can carry my props was a big plus for me looking into this style.

Thanks to all who answer...
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Make your own. Get a cheap briefcase, a music stand, a fitting and that's it.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8362 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Check out the THRIFT SHOPS for a nice attaché type case. I have picked up nearly new, LEATHER attaché cases for under $5.00. (also check yard sales!)
The 'fitting' Paddy is referring to is called a 'floor flange'. It's a metal fitting that is tapped for iron pipe sizes and it will have 3 or 4 small holes by which it can be bolted, or pop riveted to the bottom exterior of the attaché case. --a 3/8" flange should be more than adequate. Go to a music store that sells band equipment and order a CYMBAL stand. Go back to the hardware store where you shop lifted the flange and 'pick up' a 3/8" x 2" nipple (a short piece of 3/8" pipe that's threaded on both ends). You might need to have a plumber (!!!) show you how to insert the nipple into the top of the cymbal stand. The stands that I've purchased over the years would usually accept the nipple. If not ask the plumber(or hardware man) to get you an appropriate fitting. (He will know)

Chalk an X on the bottom of the attaché case (from corner to corner) The intersection of the X is the center of the case. Bolt (not screw) or pop rivet the flange to the case. Voila! regardez la table!

Before you spend a lot of $$$ ask the helpful hardware man. (Small town hardware men are used to this!)

I've used tables like this since the '40s. OH...Paddy called it a music stand. Music stands are made to hold sheet music, NOT attaché cases!

Only problem is that the cymbal stand probably won't fit inside the case for travel.

I found the base for a stenotype machine in a thrift shop (mint condition) for $1.00. It's a trifle shorter than a cymbal stand (28")but it fits inside the attaché case.

If I've managed to thoroughly confuse you, PM me. I haven't bought a cymbal stand in eons. Look for a used one in good condition in a thrift shop!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
If you want something unique, and self contained, look for a portable voting booth.

I got one, cut off the legs a bit to get the height right. The legs are three pieces of tubing with elastic bungee cord material running through them. They remove easily, fold neatly and store inside of the case. I built a close up pad top for it, and I also made a drape held on by Velcro, with a dump shelf under the drape that velcros to the legs. It goes up in a minute, and looks substantial. The drape gives me a place to store my bag under the table, out of sight.

All in all, I carry about twelve decks of cards, Invisible decks red and blue, two deck comedy, several fanning decks, dragon fanning deck, etc, Large fast and loose chain, 4, 10 inch rings, much other miscellaneous including coloring book, and cereal Killer.

I got a large piece of heavy foam and cut out openings for main items, decks, color changing knives, etc. It all stays neat, and everything else, including the close up pad, drape and shelf all fit inside of it.

The only "bad thing" is that it won't hold my Gazzo Cups. The total height of the closed case is a little over 4 inches. But I carry my Gazzo pouch with the cups in it, so they don't need to fit into the case after all.

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Carrying Case and Table Base combination (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL