The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Psychiatry 'Bible' DSM-5 Will Add PTSD for Preschoolers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
When the new Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, DSM-5, is published in May, a small section could alter the lives of millions of children.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/psychiatry-......PjDdv6RN
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Is bigotry in the DSM yet? is it even treatable?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
"Dr. Allen Frances writes that the American Psychiatric Association approval of the 5th edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual this past weekend marks “a sad day for psychiatry.“ Frances, psychiatry professor emeritus at Duke, chaired the DSM-4 task force [italics mine].

He lists the top ten changes that he says should be ignored:

1) Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder: DSM 5 will turn temper tantrums into a mental disorder[...]
2) Normal grief will become Major Depressive Disorder[...]
3) The everyday forgetting characteristic of old age will now be misdiagnosed as Minor Neurocognitive Disorder, creating a huge false positive population of people who are not at special risk for dementia[...]
4) DSM 5 will likely trigger a fad of Adult Attention Deficit Disorder leading to widespread misuse of stimulant drugs for performance enhancement[...]
5) Excessive eating 12 times in 3 months is no longer just a manifestation of gluttony and the easy availability of really great tasting food. DSM 5 has instead turned it into a psychiatric illness called Binge Eating Disorder.
6) The changes in the DSM 5 definition of Autism will result in lowered rates- 10% according to estimates by the DSM 5 work group, perhaps 50% according to outside research groups. This reduction can be seen as beneficial in the sense that the diagnosis of Autism will be more accurate and specific- but advocates understandably fear a disruption in needed school services. Here the DSM 5 problem is not so much a bad decision, but the misleading promises that it will have no impact on rates of disorder or of service delivery[...]
7) First time substance abusers will be lumped in definitionally in with hard core addicts despite their very different treatment needs and prognosis and the stigma this will cause.
8) DSM 5 has created a slippery slope by introducing the concept of Behavioral Addictions that eventually can spread to make a mental disorder of everything we like to do a lot. Watch out for careless overdiagnosis of internet and sex addiction and the development of lucrative treatment programs to exploit these new markets.
9) DSM 5 obscures the already fuzzy boundary been Generalized Anxiety Disorder and the worries of everyday life[...]
10) DSM 5 has opened the gate even further to the already existing problem of misdiagnosis of PTSD in forensic settings[...]"

And so on. More here:
http://www.healthnewsreview.org/2012/12/......chiatry/
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Is there anything in it they can't nut you off for?

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

How about a diagnotic specificity disorder where specifying or classifying the details become more important than the ecology of a thing?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Don't be childish, there might be a doctor in the house. Smile

Tommy
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I don't think any other medical specialty defines by committee what is a disease and what isn't.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-04-08 06:48, Woland wrote:
I don't think any other medical specialty defines by committee what is a disease and what isn't.

Disease, condition, syndrome, ... Is there a hierarchy?

...but is it covered by insurance and disability law?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
You can get straight-from-the-horse's-mouth comments and notes at http://www.dsm5.org
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Jon,

Part of it comes from the fact, as discussed by Paul McHugh and Philip Slavney in The Perspectives of Psychiatry, that psychiatrists are called upon to help patients who are sick, and patients who are troubled.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
There is a criteria that says that the thing must be causing significant distress or impairment to be considered a disorder.
That's for all of them.
It's sort of like how everybody displays some level of antisocial behavior, but it has to be "stable and enduring" to be considered a personality disorder.
The person is in treatment because they're really upset or having trouble functioning. The labels are secondary. The categories may inform treatment but they are not the treatment.
Social stigmatization of the mentally ill is a bigger problem than any classification system.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
New(s):
Quote:
The world's biggest mental health research institute is abandoning the new version of psychiatry's "bible" – the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, questioning its validity and stating that "patients with mental disorders deserve better". This bombshell comes just weeks before the publication of the fifth revision of the manual, called DSM-5.

On 29 April, Thomas Insel, director of the US National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), advocated a major shift away from categorising diseases such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia according to a person's symptoms. Instead, Insel wants mental disorders to be diagnosed more objectively using genetics, brain scans that show abnormal patterns of activity and cognitive testing.

This would mean abandoning the manual published by the American Psychiatric Association that has been the mainstay of psychiatric research for 60 years.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23......ced.html
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Eventually being born will be listed.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-05-11 22:30, Octopus Sun wrote:
Eventually being born will be listed.

PTSD starts at birth?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-05-11 20:45, landmark wrote:
New(s):
Quote:
The world's biggest mental health research institute is abandoning the new version of psychiatry's "bible" – the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, questioning its validity and stating that "patients with mental disorders deserve better". This bombshell comes just weeks before the publication of the fifth revision of the manual, called DSM-5.

On 29 April, Thomas Insel, director of the US National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), advocated a major shift away from categorising diseases such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia according to a person's symptoms. Instead, Insel wants mental disorders to be diagnosed more objectively using genetics, brain scans that show abnormal patterns of activity and cognitive testing.

This would mean abandoning the manual published by the American Psychiatric Association that has been the mainstay of psychiatric research for 60 years.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23......ced.html

Is it even remotely possible to diagnose bipolar disorder or schizophrenia using "genetics, brain scans...and cognitive testing"?

I don't know enough about DSM to have an opinion about its usefulness. But I have never seen evidence that modern imaging and cognitive testing are anywhere close to doing the job that Insel seems to be claiming that they can do.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Adopting such standards will make it very easy to detain and incarcerate almost anyone without trial, for as long as the authorities like. This is, I'm sorry to say, landmark, another old-time leftist ploy, well-developed in the Soviet Union.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I agree Magnus. It's all a mess.

Woland, I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you saying the promulgators of DSM 4 or 5 are leftists and that's what's driving their decisions? Or are you just taking the opportunity to point out a failure of a country that's been dead for twenty years?
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi landmark,

No, I am not saying that the promulgators of the DSM are leftists, although that may be the case. I don't know. All I am saying, is that the increasing elasticity of the definitions of mental illness would be quite useful to a government that was seeking the power to imprison and isolate anyone it wanted to, without the difficulties of an open trial. And I am pointing out an example of a country where that was routinely done. A communist country, incidentally.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-05-12 09:57, Woland wrote:
Hi landmark,

No, I am not saying that the promulgators of the DSM are leftists, although that may be the case. I don't know. All I am saying, is that the increasing elasticity of the definitions of mental illness would be quite useful to a government that was seeking the power to imprison and isolate anyone it wanted to, without the difficulties of an open trial. And I am pointing out an example of a country where that was routinely done. A communist country, incidentally.

Have you read any of DSM?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Psychiatry 'Bible' DSM-5 Will Add PTSD for Preschoolers (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL