The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Neither Royal, nor Canadian (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4921 Posts

Profile of landmark
Why "guest worker" programs are a scam, and one more reason why unions are necessary:

Quote:
RBC [Royal Bank of Canada] replaces Canadian staff with foreign workers

Dozens of employees at Canada’s largest bank are losing their jobs to temporary foreign workers, who are in Canada to take over the work of their department.

“They are being brought in from India, and I am wondering how they got work visas,” said Dave Moreau, one of the employees affected by the move. “The new people are in our offices and we are training them to do our jobs. That adds insult to injury.”

Moreau, who works in IT systems support, said he is one of 50 employees who facilitate various transactions for RBC Investor Services in Toronto, which serves the bank’s biggest and wealthiest institutional clients.
In February, RBC told Moreau and his colleagues 45 of their jobs with the regulatory and financial applications team would be terminated at the end of April.

"There are a lot of angry people," Moreau told Go Public. "A lot those people are in their late 50s or early 60s. They are not quite ready for retirement yet, but it may be very difficult to employ them."

Moreau will get a severance package, but expects it won’t last long.

“I am going to be broke," he said. "I don’t have enough money to live on. I have some RSPs. I have very little in the pension plan at RBC … I have a wife that works part time at a very low wage.”

Another RBC staffer, who didn’t want to be named, said it’s devastating.

“It’s horrible to be in this situation,” the employee said. “The bank is doing this while making billions of dollars in record profits and they don’t think about the impact on us. We are like fleas on an elephant.”

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-co......ers.html
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
That is a weird set of events. I truly expect it will be corrected very shortly. RBC doesn't need the bad press, and the banks here tend to follow the government's direction (e.g., just a week or two ago some banks were ready to start cutting mortgage rates, and the government told them to cool it in order so that the housing market did not overheat and also so that homeowners did not take on too much debt). I expect the relevant government Ministers this time around have already been in touch with the RBC execs. More here:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on......0837566/

"The revelation made by the CBC hit a nerve with the Harper government just days before two unions will challenge in a Federal Court the decision to allow a Chinese mining company to bring in temporary Chinese workers at a coal mine in British Columbia. Finance Minister Jim Flaherty announced in his last budget that the Conservatives will tighten the temporary foreign worker program to ensure foreigners “are relied upon only when Canadians genuinely cannot fill those jobs.” “If true, this situation is unacceptable,” said Diane Finley, Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development, in a statement about the Royal Bank controversy over the weekend."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16030 Posts

Profile of tommy
In the New World Order there are no foreigners, thre are just world citizens. We are all in the union. The UN.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4921 Posts

Profile of landmark
Tommy, how can you be so right, but so wrong?
Yes, labor is not only a commodity to be bought and sold, it is now a worldwide commodity. And joining together in a union--with the threat of withholding our labor-- is the only power we workers have left against worldwide capital.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
But you're right about the original story. It's an outrage that the temporary foreign worker program is being abused as a way for corporations to get their hands of tax dollars while eliminating the jobs of those that provided the dollars.

Sadly, it happens right down to minimum wage jobs, but they don't get the press that RBC employees have managed to get.

I have no objection to foreign workers or to immigration, but surely there is something fundamentally wrong with providing financial incentives for corporations to lay off their Canadian workers to replace them with subsidized foreign workers.

RBC will be stopped, I am sure. But the program will continue and abuse will be under-reported.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6606 Posts

Profile of magicfish
First time I've ever agreed with landmark. But that's a positive thing.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Maybe they're doing jobs Canadians won't do.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4921 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-04-09 22:36, magicfish wrote:

We both like some of HL's card tricks too. Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-04-09 22:48, landmark wrote:
Quote:

Who doesn't?!!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-04-09 22:50, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-09 22:48, landmark wrote:
Quote:

Who doesn't?!!

I can think of a few people who used to post in the Workers section.

(Of course, maybe they like HL's card tricks and merely don't like HL.)
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I thought that this thread was going to be about Mounties.

What a letdown.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4921 Posts

Profile of landmark
What the--they're importing them from India too?!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Neither Royal, nor Canadian (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL