The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Strolling gig set list help needed. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
Hey guys! I am doing a strolling gig for Relay For Life, in a couple of weeks. Im trying a new set list and I'm having a little trouble finalizing my list. I can definitely use everyone's input and constructive criticism.

Set 1
Extreme Burn
Card Insurance (My Version of a 8D card reveal on Mark Jenest, MagiCard)
Exact Change

Set 2
Crazy Mans Handcuffs and Broken Restored Rubber Band
Pressure
Deluxe Nest of Wallets

Set 3
Pip be Gone (My version of a removing pip trick. Non gaff.)
ACR (Card to Wallet)
Omni Deck and Omni Pen

I wanted to fit in my version of anniversary waltz and/or my sponge ball routine. I just can't seem to find a place for it. I also can find a transition from Card Insurance ( card trick) to Gregory Wilson's exact change. I don't want to get rid of exact change because its one of my bread and butter routines. Hopefully I can get some ideas to improve my set list. Thank!
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Quote:
On 2013-04-08 23:48, Jmolomagic wrote:
Hey guys! I am doing a strolling gig for Relay For Life, in a couple of weeks. Im trying a new set list and I'm having a little trouble finalizing my list. I can definitely use everyone's input and constructive criticism.

There's no right or wrong answers. I do material that's completely different to friends who are also professional magicians. Find what suits you and hone it over time.

The tricks are less important than YOU are.
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
Well there's my answer! Thank you MickNZ for hitting me in the head with the truth! I'm just having a magical breakdown trying to figure my new set list! Thanks again!
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
The best advice I was given was to worry less about the tricks, and more about how you interact with the people at the table (or the group standing). Like, so much to the point where I have actually seen one of my magician pals walk up to a table, start to do a card trick, get caught up in talking about motorcycles with the people instead, and never even finished the trick. And they still tipped him. If you can't be entertaining without the magic, you'll never be entertaining with the magic. Smile

As far as effects. For set 1 I would open with Exact change. Then ditch the gimmick as you go in to take your your Extreme burn. Like MickNZ said, There is no right or wrong really. it's what "works for you" which I have always translated to "Its whatever you feel most comfortable performing at the time, until such time you change it to a way that feels more comfortable"

If you want a little direction on how to keep it structured. Which you have right with your 3x3. Then check out some of the write-ups by Jamie Grant. Here is the thread.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=5

How do you like exact change? I was thinking about picking one up, and same for the omni pen and deck.
james prince
View Profile
Loyal user
England
233 Posts

Profile of james prince
Quote:
I wanted to fit in my version of anniversary waltz and/or my sponge ball routine.

Generally I don't use sponge routines when strolling because they end on the ground too much, so given the choice I'd go for anniversary waltz
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-04-09 09:48, Derek Castillo wrote:
The best advice I was given was to worry less about the tricks, and more about how you interact with the people at the table (or the group standing). Like, so much to the point where I have actually seen one of my magician pals walk up to a table, start to do a card trick, get caught up in talking about motorcycles with the people instead, and never even finished the trick. And they still tipped him. If you can't be entertaining without the magic, you'll never be entertaining with the magic. Smile

That should be the mantra of anyone performing. GOLDEN advice from you!

Cody Fisher performed at Dave and Busters while in college and said some nights he didn't perform any magic. He was too busy interacting and CONNECTING with the guests!
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
The best advice has already been offered. Stop second guessing yourself, do your best material the best way you know how, and have fun. Hopefully then your spectators will too.
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
Great advice from everyone! You definitely reminded what I already know but lost sight of why we do this! I've had gigs similar to everyone's story. Where the connection is so deep with your spectators, you forget about the magic. Anyways thanks again to you all and especially, Derek. You definitely put everything back into perspective.

Oh and exact change is one of my favorites. I've been performing it for quite some time and I always get the "WTF!" Reaction. My patter also helps me connect with my spectators. I explain to them I have been reading a book called how to access the psychic mind and I go from there. I performed this for a group at a event recently and we got into a long conversation about psychics and tarot cards before I even got to the effect at this event. So the effect was even stronger!

The Omni pen is amazing only if you use a little creativity. The effect on the DVD are awesome too!
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Quote:
On 2013-04-09 00:21, Jmolomagic wrote:
Well there's my answer! Thank you MickNZ for hitting me in the head with the truth! I'm just having a magical breakdown trying to figure my new set list! Thanks again!

I do my best.
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
When doing a strolling gig I always end up performing the same 5-7 tricks all night, regardless of how much effects I carry and the dozens of tricks I have in my head.

I'd combine your sets to create one default set and just perform that for everyone as a starting point:
-Extreme Burn (opener)
-CMH/Broken Restored
-Exact Change or Sponge Balls (give Sponge Bunnies a shot though, especially if performing for women)
-ACR to Wallet OR Omni Deck (preface omni with a simple card selected, change in hand routine, then ask them to sign the card as you switch in the omni deck)

Maybe throw in another card trick for variety(sankeys back in time, colour changing deck/chicago opener, daleys aces, diminishing? not likely, be honest what is it, the odds are with me)

I've taken the nest of wallets to a few gigs but never use it as much as I plan too. Also if you're going to do a card reveal ala MagiCard, invest in a sharpie that has a playing card revelation on it, its crazy the reactions you'll get from something so simple.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
I know its hard for some to help you out on this. "Its what works best for you", "its how you interact", "it's your showmanship". I strongly believe that although this is always good advice that you probably are already cognizant of all of this and just want some ideas of what sets others might be doing. So I'll tell you whats worked for me. I do 3 tricks per table.

1. Double Back (Jon Allen) or ID (openers)
2. 3 coins across (with expanded shell) - Roth's version
3. Nice bill change ending with CHOP (Petty)

1. Branded or LIT
2. Sponge bunnies (when I see kids/women)
3. Sweet N Low (TT) (Osterlind) OR In A FLASH (Sankey)

1. Twilight Angels and/or Shades (Ross)- nice souvenirs
2. Tagged (Sanders) OR ULTRA GUM
3. Ignition/Killer Key

These seem to work nicely for me although I throw in Pressure, silks, T & R's, Bit off coins, etc every now and then.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
Wow all of you have been very helpful. Thank you so much for all the great advice!
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
Quote:
On 2013-04-10 20:39, Jmolomagic wrote:
Wow all of you have been very helpful. Thank you so much for all the great advice!

Although some people on here seem to forget it from time to time, that's what this place is for.
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Quote:
On 2013-04-09 09:48, Derek Castillo wrote:
If you can't be entertaining without the magic, you'll never be entertaining with the magic. Smile

Read that again, it's perfect

Entertainment is your number one objective. The tricks, gimmicks and sleights are your vehicle to accomplish your objective.

Now to answer your question, I think your set list looks great, and break a leg.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
Thanks Andy! The funny thing is I know the answer but thanks to you all for reminding me what magic is all about! Smile
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I usally take a
coins across effect
get sharky
invisable deck
industrial revelation
cut and restore rope
professers nightmare
linking ropes
cups and balls
silk and a tt
I can work all day with these few effects.
Todd
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of harbour
Your set looks very good, but remember it has to be entertaining to you to be most effective.
AND it has to be entertaining to your audience by your delivery.
I once saw Joe Monte do a set. A twenty minute set that had only one effect shown at the end.
I can't remember what it was for the life of me, but I know he had everyone laughing for 20 minutes and had everyone talking about his set long after it was over.
THAT was a GREAT Performance.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-04-14 03:44, harbour wrote:
Your set looks very good, but remember it has to be entertaining to you to be most effective.
AND it has to be entertaining to your audience by your delivery.
I once saw Joe Monte do a set. A twenty minute set that had only one effect shown at the end.
I can't remember what it was for the life of me, but I know he had everyone laughing for 20 minutes and had everyone talking about his set long after it was over.
THAT was a GREAT Performance.

Really? that's amazing!
MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
Whatever you feel comfortable to perform with, go for it Smile
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am gking to get into a bit of trouble here.

When doing strolling gigs I tey to figure worst case scenario. I mean lots of time and few guests. I never bring things that are one shot back in the pocket. Very ineffective use of space.

I bring things like cards that are not gimicked coins ropes and so forth. I never end up in a situation where my clothes look droopy and overloaded and I never run out of New things should they become necessary. Never have to reset or any of the things that send strolling magicians to the bathroom as often as a coke addict.

If it doesn't multi task I don't bring it. Just a different perspective. Not necessarily one for you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Strolling gig set list help needed. (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL