The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Sit-down magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I am a big and scary man. When I fell out of the ugly tree I hit every branch on the way down. So I can imagine that some young kids might be a bit scared of me. Funnily enough they aren't, but I could see how they might be.

About a year ago I began asking for a kitchen chair when I perform for under fives. That allowed me to sit down at the start of the show, so that I am not towering over all the kids. It also allowed me to create a sense of intimacy, by sitting and leaning forward, and drawing them into my show. It is particularly effective when I tell a story. By sitting and lowering my voice I also force the kids to lower their chatter and listen, which helps keep control without demanding their attention.

I noticed that if I had a very small kid helping (three or four years old), I can interact with them more effectively if I am on their level, which the chair helps with. Now I occasionally do up to a third of my show for the toddlers on the chair.

I am just curious - are there any other sit-down magicians out there? What are your experiences?
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I have a fold-open stool that I can use as a side table. I also found it effective for telling story-based routines (like my rng and rope routine.

Ed
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Cedric Richardson used to perform that way.

Gerry
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7375 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
A few years ago, Ross MacRae (Wayne Keyser) used to be quite active in the Little Darlings discussions. I think he spends more time in other parts of the Café nowadays.

He does a sit-down style magic show, and I recall him talking about it in a few posts. I haven't seen his birthday business DVD, but I'm sure it has footage of him performing in a sit-down style:

http://www.goodmagic.com/websales/bdaybiz/

There are a few performance clips throughout his site, on various pages. Explore a bit.

http://www.goodmagic.com/index.htm

His Café name is: rossmacrae

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9488 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I get on one knee all the time.

This also helps frame a photo for the BB boy or girl - your heads are at the same general height.

Getting on one knee works great except for the grunting and groaning while getting back up, which can be a little off-putting, so I stand up while everyone is applauding & the noise drowns-out my age Smile I'm working on a show where I lay down and draw answers to questions in the sand. It's more of a mentalism show but it's better then being wheeled in, on a gurney.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
My uncle (who got me into magic) used to perform for children and his target audience was always the really young ones. I have known him to sit cross-legged on the floor and perform, as if he were playing with toys as the kids might do. Although he was not a large man, he was brilliant in his ability to captivate the tiny children and make them comfortable with this style.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Sit-down magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL