The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Show me your hands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
"Hey Buddy .. Show me your hands"! Probably every magician has been in this situation while still in finger palm and haven't yet pursued the required ditch .. which is a terrible feeling. I would like to dedicate this thread to the "cleanest" non card effects out there. Criteria: No need for ditching (or a very spectacular ditch/switch that occurs significantly before the climax - like the loaded lemon in CHOP). No discussions on butt magnets, or misdirection going in to pockets. Also, if possible lets stray from the "it's too general", etc. don't worry about what I perform or my performance style. Im interested in hearing "your" performances/effects with this given criteria.

Lets see the gems you come up with,

Jeff
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
It's easier to connect with people and be likable then to worry about holding out.
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Agreed. Instead you should be looking at why spectators question you. "Done properly, the most skeptical participant doesn’t even suspect, let alone detect, the false premise at the heart of the experience," Michael Ammar.

Knowing what everyone else does is not going to help much because you need to find the correct timing and pacing conducive to your own performance style. You'll get much more constructive criticism if you explain what you do and how you perform instead of leaving us in the dark.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If they think you are holding out your technique needs work.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Agreed. However, my situation differs from the average magician slightly. I am in the behavioral sciences and perform for troubled youth, some being delayed. I am very well liked and respected by these teens and young adults. The trouble is that they are more impulsive than the average spectator and seeking answers more than questions. The low levels of "trust" possessed by these teens is the reason for my OP.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-04-11 16:16, Dannydoyle wrote:
If they think you are holding out your technique needs work.

They usually ask me to see my hands nearly every effect, no matter how my technique is or how well I perform. All the cousellors and psychologists have observed and agreed with this notion. They found it interesting how their behavioral issues interacted with a phenomena as intriguing as magic. They were amazed in disbelief, then weary and distrusting. My point is that variables outside my technique and performance are at play here.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-04-11 16:06, Bulla wrote:
Agreed. Instead you should be looking at why spectators question you. "Done properly, the most skeptical participant doesn’t even suspect, let alone detect, the false premise at the heart of the experience," Michael Ammar.

Knowing what everyone else does is not going to help much because you need to find the correct timing and pacing conducive to your own performance style. You'll get much more constructive criticism if you explain what you do and how you perform instead of leaving us in the dark.

I perform a large range of card effects(i.e - ultra gum, back in time, branded, LIT, In A FLASH,shuffle cut deal paperclipped, panic, twisting ACEs, Dr. daleys last trick, twisted sisters, twlight angels, timely departure, search and destroy, Double Back, etc. a few coin effects (Bite off, Pucnture, Roths's 3 coins across, coin thru table, etc), some mentalism (psypher, billet effects (switchcraft), some Banacheck. I do a lot of TT stuff (Sweet N Low, etc. I also do a lot of impossible penetrations (ignition, pen through bill, Morelli's pen in bottle, Prohibition, etc). I do thread work (floating objects, etc). I have a pretty long list of stuff. I was hoping I might find some effects I havent yet pondered that are a bit more clean and fitting to the context in question. I hope Ive given you more insight to my style.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
TheMag1cian, sorry, I thought the question was geared to restaurant and strolling work. Thanks for clarifying who you are performing for. That's wonderful work you're doing.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
I carry the small plastic doll hands in my pockets. On the off-chance I have someone say "Show me your hands!" I ditch the gaff in the pocket and come out with the small plastic hand, saying I use a small assistant to do magic, showing the hand coming out and waving at them. I think I learned this at a convention many years ago, but can't remember who to credit. This bypasses the challenge with humor,
and is forgotten.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Here's a good one

At a private party in an attorneys home - while standing at the table. The man put his index finger up-into my palm where I had a coin.

He said. when I was younger I used to take lessons from Slydini..

So what could you do? yell NO admonish No... I said "you;ll like this trick even better and got something from my case and came back to the table by stood 2 feet away.

- - - - - -
I'm going to suggest to TheMag1cian that the first 4 effects or routines are self-working or of a puzzle nature and you begin and end by showing empty hands without calling attention to them,
by the way... teenagers without issues act the same way. Thereafter you may be able to skirt the inspections because you have proved they can't catch you.

Scotch and soda ends clean
Out of this world, puts the cards in their hands but you must control their responses
I like performing Ball Manip for difficult people because they try to guess where the balls are and it's too late by that time. Ball manip isn't something youre going to learn over night - it's nor push -button magic,
Card warp leaves the pieces in their hands
A Gosh Ball to Square can fit your requirements if performed with conviction
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-04-11 17:59, LeoH wrote:
I carry the small plastic doll hands in my pockets. On the off-chance I have someone say "Show me your hands!" I ditch the gaff in the pocket and come out with the small plastic hand, saying I use a small assistant to do magic, showing the hand coming out and waving at them. I think I learned this at a convention many years ago, but can't remember who to credit. This bypasses the challenge with humor,
and is forgotten.

Speechless. The comedic misdirection is stupendous!
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-04-11 18:01, jay leslie wrote:
Here's a good one

At a private party in an attorneys home - while standing at the table. The man put his index finger up-into my palm where I had a coin.

So what could you do? yell NO admonish No... I said "you;ll like this trick even better and got something from my case and came back to the table by stood 2 feet away.

- - - - - -
I'm going to suggest to TheMag1cian that the first 4 effects or routines are self-working or of a puzzle nature and you begin and end by showing empty hands without calling attention to them,
by the way... teenagers without issues act the same way. Thereafter you may be able to skirt the inspections because you have proved they can't catch you.

Out of this world, puts the cards in their hands but you must control their responses
I like performing Ball Manip for difficult people because they try to guess where the balls are and it's too late by that time. Ball manip isn't something youre going to learn over night - it's nor push -button magic,

Thanks. Great advice. I usually do effects that I can shuffle thoroughly (or better yet have them shuffle) and start off with something like search & destroy (so that they're the magician) and have them cut until the Queens seek out their card. Others similar I do are Darly's Untouched and Bannon's Timely Departure. Of course they ask and scrutinize (as many teens do as you pointed out) so I have troubles with gimmicks. UCCU has been going under their radar lately. Actually, today I performed an old one by Annemann (Mentalism Vs Magic) stacked deck with a "though of card in balloon ending". Its a stacked deck but it played extremely well.

Thanks again for the advice.

Jeff
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-04-11 19:27, TheMag1cian wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-11 18:01, jay leslie wrote:
Here's a good one

- - - - - -

Thanks. Great advice. I usually do effects that I can shuffle thoroughly (or better yet have them shuffle) and start off with something like search & destroy (so that they're the magician) and have them cut until the Queens seek out their card. Others similar I do are Darly's Untouched and Bannon's Timely Departure. Of course they ask and scrutinize (as many teens do as you pointed out) so I have troubles with gimmicks. UCCU has been going under their radar lately. Actually, today I performed an old one by Annemann (Mentalism Vs Magic) stacked deck with a "thought of card in balloon ending". Its a stacked deck but it played extremely well despite being stacked. They rummaged through the deck and found it to be normal.

Thanks again for the advice.

Jeff
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Sorry for the double message
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
You're actually part the way there by asking the question of yourself and others. Think about ways to "prove" that your hands are empty before the question gets asked. It could just be a case of thinking about where the spectator may ask the question and pre-empting the strike, as it were.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Techniques to be explored include:

"The best coin to vanish is the one that never was"

"Vanish to empty in the spectator's hand"

and

"Preemptive Doubt" in which the passing/suspicious hand is show empty before the vanish is revealed.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think you may be missing the point as well as a wonderful opportunity to grow.

You downplay the technique as the problem but I assure you it is. Not if you can do it in the mirror but in life.

Do you think these kids more more trust issues or less of a filter than drunks at the midnight comedy club show? I promise you they don't. You have found a wonderful excuse but that is not going to help you. Learning easier effects or things like that won't help you at all.

The problem is technique and you have convinced uourself it is not. Without taking that to heart you will not be able to fix the problem. I am soery if it sounds harsh but it is a classic mistake people make. I am not trying to single you out or bust your chops. Magicians get complacant and really miss this point. Tricks can fool people too easlily and the technique gets overlooked. As far as scripting and timing and all those things I am refering to with technique.

Good luck.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-04-11 20:44, Dannydoyle wrote:
I think you may be missing the point as well as a wonderful opportunity to grow.

You downplay the technique as the problem but I assure you it is. Not if you can do it in the mirror but in life.

Do you think these kids more more trust issues or less of a filter than drunks at the midnight comedy club show? I promise you they don't. You have found a wonderful excuse but that is not going to help you. Learning easier effects or things like that won't help you at all.

The problem is technique and you have convinced uourself it is not. Without taking that to heart you will not be able to fix the problem. I am soery if it sounds harsh but it is a classic mistake people make. I am not trying to single you out or bust your chops. Magicians get complacant and really miss this point. Tricks can fool people too easlily and the technique gets overlooked. As far as scripting and timing and all those things I am refering to with technique.

Good luck.

I work with troubled youth and delayed teens/young adults. Many times the autistic teens will rush over and feel my hands in a hurried manner. I've even been knocked down. Working in the special needs community is not easy but I see how much they love it. I can put all the blame on my technique and/or make an analogy about being at a club but I have none of these issues at the club and 2 bars I work at. I know drunks at midnight pose issues as well, Im not sure its the same as 2 large autistic teens and charging to search you with huge smile on their faces. They don't comprehend our social norms or concept of personal space. I will always continue to grow in the field of magic, as we're all striving to do. Perhaps one would have to be in the group home or mental facility context (which Im sure many of you have) to fully grasp the nature of my OP.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
We have a "special needs" son... his group of pals watching my parlour magic amazingly kinda figured out many of the secrets. Just don't let it bother you.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-04-11 21:22, Pete Biro wrote:
We have a "special needs" son... his group of pals watching my parlour magic amazingly kinda figured out many of the secrets. Just don't let it bother you.

Thanks Harry. Just always searching for the right kind of material for these types of contexts and its not always easy. Teaching them the magic is also great fun. Ive reduced much stigma and bullying issues on the playground. Bullies don't bother special needs children who can levitate .. in fact, they befriend them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Show me your hands (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL