The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » New Neighborhood (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
I moved into a new house last February and finally after being here over a year, I bought a Bicycle and went for a ride today. After some exploring I came into a neighborhood... with some money. Needless to say I was almost run over by someones Jaguar, luckily he had a back up in the driveway just encase my bike helmet dented his car. Anyways, as I rode I started wondering to myself.... how would I reach these people? I'm sure these people need entertainment, so why not me? A quick background on myself.
I am a full time magician. What does this mean? This is all I do, and all I have done. I average around 8 shows a week. For the past 4 years I have been working on cruise ships, private events and corporate functions across the country. In the last year, I married my best friend and even though I still perform on ships etc, I'm looking to get more local work. How did I get all of this other work? Word of mouth, website and a few booking sites. One thing I am not good at...cold calling.
So I guess my question is this? How would you go about moving into a new area and getting the word out about your services. I would love any input you could give or sources you might direct me towards. Thanks

Jason Alan
http://www.Jasonalanmagic.com
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Perhaps you could put on some community charity work to get your name out there, or a public show, with a press release.
Approach restaurants for weekly table hopping work, not for the cash but for exposure.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Jason, I went to your site so I could see where you are located. Here in Cincinnati we have a suburb called Indian Hill which is like the area you described. We went to the city hall and found out they have a weekly paper that goes to all residents and the classified ads are FREE!! So we started to put an ad in. Well because we do parties for kids and in homes the first thing we had to do is get a police background check. So we went into the police dept and they did it free. So a week later we had the ad placed in the local paper.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I would recommend the course "Zero to booked solid in 90 days" by James Munton. He relocated from Washington dc to Dallas and faced what you are facing. One additional thought is that you get work with the country clubs that are located near the higher end neighborhoods to then get spill over gigs at there homes once you get a local reputation.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
I am not bragging at all, but 99% of my shows are in the "ritzy" areas of San Diego like Del Mar, La Jolla, Rancho Santa Fe, etc. The things that sets me apart from my competitors (who usually work is less reputable areas) are my website and consistent branding (www.TheSanDiegoMagician.com and the fact that my fees are much higher than my "competitors."

I truly attribute my success in these more upscale areas to a higher fee.

I second what Charlie said and recommend Zero to Booked Solid.

Also, a book that can help by the master, Dan Kennedy is: No BS Marketing to the Affluent: http://www.amazon.com/No-B-S-Marketing-T......affluent

Beyond raising your fees I would join the local country club these folks frequent and start rubbing elbows. Chances are these people are in their 50s and 60s and not too hip to being marketed to online or by email. Just a hunch.

Josh
Josh
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7514 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2013-04-13 12:01, JoshLondonMagic wrote:
I am not bragging at all, but 99% of my shows are in the "ritzy" areas of San Diego like Del Mar, La Jolla, Rancho Santa Fe, etc. The things that sets me apart from my competitors (who usually work is less reputable areas) are my website and consistent branding (www.TheSanDiegoMagician.com and the fact that my fees are much higher than my "competitors."

I truly attribute my success in these more upscale areas to a higher fee.

Josh -

You've said that your fees are "much higher than your competitors" in several posts now over the past few months (seems like you are very proud of that fact).

And you've shared in posts that most of your business is children's birthday party shows.

You shared your rates in another post back in February.

Are your competitors really charging so much less than $200 and $275 for a birthday show?

The reason I ask, is that $200 doesn't seem to be a really high starting price for a birthday party show (I'm in the same ballpark, price-wise). I recall other discussions where performers talked about their typical birthday prices in the $350 and up range.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is the fastest and simplest way to contact these lucrative home owners. You make up a flyer, advertising your services, but only one service, so you will have to make-up your mind on which you wish to pursue. Remember, adults have birthdays to!

Then deliver them door to door as many flyers and advertiser do. Your whole family could deliver them or you could pay some youngsters (neighborhood boys and girls) to deliver them.

Then design a new looking flier, and in a month deliver them. Do this every month for 6 to 9 months.

Note: Never place them in a mail box, that is against the law. Place them in their storm door or some place they will find them.

Yes, action get results!
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Donald, in San Diego the market can bare my $275 fee for a birthday party. Not sure where the other performers are, but from my testing for my brand $275 is what teh market can handle.

I should also let you know that I factor in goody bag sales into my overall fee for the show. Last weekend I had 7 shows and 5 out of the 7 bought the Platinum Package and I went through an average of 15 extra goody bags (beyond the 10 provided with the Platinum Package) bringing in almost an extra $400. Lately the parties I've been going to have had more than 20 kids (one actually had over 50 kids!!!) resulting in more upselling.

Therefore, a typical birthday with 20 kids will usually result in an overall fee of about $325.

Also, from what I've seen a few of my competitors are unfortunately charging as low as $125 for a show. It's really unfortunate because they are good, but just want the business so bad they will charge so low.

Getting back on topic, I think networking is the best bet for this crowd. They are probably business people who are used to doing business face to face.

Josh
Josh
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do you really believe dropping off flyers in screen doors of rich people works?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2919 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Rich people tend to like nice things. And, the more of them you know, the more likely you are to get them to hire you for a show. But the same rules of marketing apply to the poor as well as the rich. I say don't waste your money on a book about rich people, and find one that helps you learn to package what you have to offer no matter winter audience is.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-04-13 16:34, Dannydoyle wrote:

I didn't want to say it, but Danny beat me to it.
Josh
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:

I agree with Danny. If you spend all that time to deliver door to door, you have to determine how many shows you would have to get to consider it successful. The people would most likely have to be in need in the very near future, have not made previous plans, want to hire a magician, determine this source that appeared on their doorstep was the best option, and when they want you fits your schedule.

Joining the club also involves a lot of money, time and effort, with no certain return on investment. After all, just because they get to know you, does not mean they will hire you. You may also find they view you as a friend, and hope to get a discounted fee.

I would look for opportunities to perform in situations where those who live in those houses are most likely to see your performance and want to hire you because they thought you were the best fit for their party.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:

NO, just sit home and take a bicycle ride and wish you could get your message across to the people inside those houses. It is always better to wish then to actually take action.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Is that what you really think I said or are you being intentionally dim and obnoxious and obtuse?

Why are the only choices doing nothing or doing something so incredibly ineffective and stupid?

Yes well off people often find entertainment by looming for a flyer on the door. That method just screams high end entertainment.

Why not stand on the corner with a bull horn and shout the message? Yea it is better than nothing right? Just about as effective.

The idea is ridiculous and Your time could be much better spent. But keep it up Bill. I am sure you are the darling of the high end party.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Pewter's (Paddy) suggestion is solid take it to the bank advise, and if I lived in Cincinnati I would do exactly what he recommended. Everything else here seems to be generic baloney.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
gordon russ
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of gordon russ
Hey Jason,

I was in the US Post Office a while back and I recall seeing an advertisement about sending letters to everyone on a block or group of blocks. From what I remember you provide the envelopes, stuff them, give them to the post office and for a price, they will deliver them to everyone on a block. This may be more effective and less time consuming than handing out brochures door to door. I believe the purpose of this service is for local businesses like pizza shops, cleaners etc.

Next time I am at the post office I will check it out.

Good Luck
Gordon the Magician
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Just an FYI and helpful tip. If you want to go door to door to leave a flyer with households, do not go the standard 8.5" by 11" mode. It tends to get in the way, looks less professional and you have a problem trying to keep it from blowing away. Instead go with a door hanger style marketing piece. You see these a lot at hotels. Plenty of room to print your message and makes it so much easier to attach it to the door without chance of it falling off. It looks much more professional for you and for the suspect. best of all you can get these printed up at digital online printers fairly cheaply. They also supply a template for you to follow.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3659 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
And to follow up....as a home owner, and a landlord (1 tenant), door knob hangers are not a great idea. They irritate the heck out of me, and I am sure others also. Nothing like getting home late at night and find someone has left one of these darn things hanging from your doorknob saying to the world for the whole day, "hey look here's a home with no one home!" I also take care of my Dad's place when he is out of town, I visit a couple of times a week, needless to say a door knob hanger there for a couple of days is just what some folks are looking for. You can cancel your paper, have the lights on timers, but it's hard to stop someone "tagging" your home as being empty.

You are also turning someone's front door into a billboard for your services. Not good. I am not sure how many others would be impressed with this.

And, finally, make sure the ink does not come off when wet if you do decide to go this route, one hanger that had been on one of our doors for a couple of days got wet and stained the white front door. Fortunately the ink did come off with cleaner, but that is one advertiser that got a call from me!

So to me they are not a good idea.

Blair
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
They ae actually a very bad idea. People take pride in the house only to be tagged wih garbage. No matter what they look lime they are indeed garbage from the street. Plus a great signal for a break in if there are an abundance of them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
As a designer, I design these for folks all the time. Just sharing an idea and a means in which to do it. It is up to you to determine if it is right for you.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » New Neighborhood (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL