The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Magick Magazine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ed wood
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of ed wood
A number of years ago I bought the original 4 volume set of Bascom Jones Magick magazine. Without a doubt the finest magic and mentalism magazine ever. It took me years to work through all the material.
It recently came to my attention that it has been re-issued this time in 5 volumes. All the information regarding these new editions has me hugely confused, a very easy thing to do.
Does the fifth volume contain information that the original edition missed out? Is this volume available by itself? If so I never realised the original edition wasn't complete. It sounds like the layout of the new editions are different, more like volume 3 and 4 of the original edition as opposed to 1 and 2. ***, I'm getting confused even writing this!
Stefmagic
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Profile of Stefmagic
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Thanks for that. I did look but never found that information. Looks like I'll never see a fifth volume.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
The fifth is the final edition that we had been asking Rich for since volume 4 was published. It covers the remaining issues. For the 10 years (or more) there was no answer(actually, we were initially told, arrangements have top be made with the family, then, it is coming soon, then nothing). Then they announced the new set covering all issues. The refused to sell the final volume by itself, so those of us who supported the project at $155 a volume for the first 4 volumes were told we had to repurchase the entire set to have the additional issues. Some did, some did not and refuse to purchase anything from that company again. It was a move that cost CW/Viking ore than they gained, my opinion.

There was an excuse made, that the format was changed… But the format was changed in the middle of the initial run/first edition too. So what?

Tony
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of harbour
Hi Tony,
Have the first four volumes, never knew about this.
Guess I will not have the fifth volume.
agree.
mrmysticmike
View Profile
Elite user
Cleveland, Ohio
424 Posts

Profile of mrmysticmike
I can attest to everything Tony mentioned.

We were told on several occasions that once things were worked out with the family we would be offered the final volume
which contained the final issues.
Davidzajac
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Davidzajac
How many said final issues are there. I am relatively new and did not have any previous upsets with Viking. Plus will they ever just put it on cd or PDF. My thoughts. Thanks.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
David, it is still in stock. At $795 for the set, and it will only be sold as a set, I believe it will be in stock for a while.
With the price point, and the amount of work that was just done in editing and reorganizing the 5 volumes, I don't see it being put on CD any time on the near future.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
They still apparently have some sets with bumped corners available for $200 less:

http://www.vikingmagic.com/all-books/MAGICK-Bascom-Jones-1
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2435 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
It's a $200 discount on the original set
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Hmm. That's unexpected, since that would be a completely different product than the 5-volume edition being sold on that page.

I've sent email seeking clarification...
Davidzajac
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Davidzajac
I would once more on this site advocate for someone in a seat of power to make a PDF that isn't an illegal download. I guess that's just wishful thinking.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Confirmed by George Robinson:

It's a $200 discount on the 5-volume set. However, they don't have any damaged sets at the moment.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2648 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
A friend of mine got the $200 bumped corners discount. I paid full price and my corners were still fairly bumped up. The only thing used as padding for shipment was a single sheet of corrugated cardboard.

I wish someone would produce one single index for all the issues.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Magick Magazine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.4 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL