The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » The Legends of hypnosis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jesse Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jesse Lewis
Hey guys I am doing some research for some articles on old time hypnotists and it is very hard for me to find information. With the passing of some of the legends in recent years(Reveen, Mcgill, Collins) I feel it is time a history of stage hypnosis is put together.

I was wondering if you could direct me to some of the legends in the hypno biz.

Here are the basics of what I have so far:

Ormund Mcgill
Reveen
Pat Collins
Sylvain A. Lee
Charles Lafontaine
Mr. and Mrs. Herbert L. Flint
Professor Xenophon LaMotte Sage
Mesmer.
Kreskin

The list is not extensive I know that is why I am here for help.

Do you guys have any other legends that would fit the list.

Thanks in advancce
Jesse
Learn how to build a bigger business at www.showbizsuccesssecrets.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Absolutely. Paul Goldin. He operated in Ireland for thirty years, and regularly attracted 3,000 people a night. He got great publicity for promising to jump from a plane without a parachute, using hypnosis to control the pain of the landing! Larger than life character, borderline crook, great entertainer.

Barry Sinclair, the greatest I have ever seen. Check out his website for some of his stories: http://www.barrysinclair.com

Any book of legends without Paul would be incomplete. Personally I think Barry belongs in that class.

From the UK, you need to include Paul McKenna. What other hypnotist has played to 6,000 people in a single gig? He had his own TV show, and drew huge crowds. But he wasn't in Barry or Paul's league as a showman.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Two performers who had a big impact on the way UK hypnotists work (whether they realise it or not) are Scotland's Robert Halpern and Australia's Martin St.James.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I was personal friends with two from the UK a few years back, Edwin Heath and Lord Payne, both old styyle performers but true pros, they could and would often be asked to do something on the spot, they did and always went over well. Lord Payne was once asked to fill in for an evening at the Horseshoe show bar in Blackpool, he was still there 17 years later.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Jesse Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jesse Lewis
Thanksguys that is a good start it looks like I have a lot of research to do I may ask some more to get better details as well. Keep them coming

Jesse
Learn how to build a bigger business at www.showbizsuccesssecrets.com
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------John Dream------------If you can Dream it, you can Do it!
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
McGill has some great tips and ideas...
Presentation is everything!

If you can Dream it, you can Do it!

The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
magic123
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of magic123
Guess You Guys have Never seen The Man they call Reveen - Billy McComb Called the Reveen Show "the Greatest Hyp Production
Ever seen on the Stage in the last 50 yrs !

This show was seen by Over 10.000,000 people. in 35 yrs .

The Reveen Show SHATTERED Box offie recorde in Europe ,Canada for over 30 yrs , He Sold out the Vancover Opera house 4000 seats 14 nights in a Row !

Reveen had one of the Largest magic & Illusions ever In the History of the Theatre,.. Sold it to illusionist Johnny Hart for over a Million dollars !

Seigfried & Roy have said "The Reveen show will Never he equalied " - He Ever wrote a Best Seller on the Powere of the human mind.

There was Only One Reveen.

Magic 123
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
If it is legend you speak of then Jimmy Grippo should be on the list.
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Belante
Hypno
View Profile
Regular user
England
118 Posts

Profile of Hypno
Hi Jesse,

I am supprised that no one has mentioned Peter Casson. Perhaps Peter is only a legend this side of the pond. His American contemporary Ralph Slater may be better known in America.

Regards.
Hypno
Tommy Vee
View Profile
New user
Boston
15 Posts

Profile of Tommy Vee
Sam Vine, Jerry Valley, Reveen, Martin St. James.

Regards,

Tommy Vee
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Jeesus but you guys are so off the main names I don't think you can be helped. But.... enjoy your party.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Hypno
View Profile
Regular user
England
118 Posts

Profile of Hypno
Enlighten us then Bobser.

Regards.
Hypno.
robinsonm
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of robinsonm
This is a great topic. There are names like Belante that I never new about. Thanks
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-05-04 10:00, robinsonm wrote:
This is a great topic. There are names like Belante that I never new about. Thanks

Ted Belante, who was well known as "Mr. Hypnosis" throughout the Pacific Northwest and who I toured with for many years, video taped all of his shows. Many have recently found their way to YouTube.

Another great hypnotist I worked with on the cruise ships back in the 1970's was Don Garnett. I consider him one of the best as well.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
There probably would be no point to me naming names Hypno, since by definition nobody else has thus probably wouldn't know them. Yet they are all over the place. And of course it's interesting that we British/Americans mainly look to our own.
Some of the very best I've ever seen I have met just within the last year in my travels, and they have been Swedish, Danish, French, Latvian, Finnish, Japanese etc.
For example probably no one in here would have heard of Denis Hovarth of Slovenia. Yet he would easily sit with any of the hypnotists named in the above list.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I find this interesting too given how often everyone from that part of the world are constantly complaining there are no stage hypnotists, no stage hypnosis shows and no stage hypnosis training. It's given some of us the impression that stage hypnosis has dried up over there.

Legendary is a significant status so I would think they should be more commonly known at least within the industry.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-05-04 19:12, Mindpro wrote:
I find this interesting too given how often everyone from that part of the world are constantly complaining there are no stage hypnotists, no stage hypnosis shows and no stage hypnosis training. It's given some of us the impression that stage hypnosis has dried up over there.

Legendary is a significant status so I would think they should be more commonly known at least within the industry.

Unlike magicians, the stage hypnotists I have known and worked with throughout the years were showmen who focused exclusively on performing for the public. Very few associated with magicians, mentalists, or other hypnotists for that matter.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Bob yea. Once you develop a sort of territory you tend to travel pretty well within it. The phenomenon of hypnosis as a hobby is fairly recent also. You learned and you did.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Hypno
View Profile
Regular user
England
118 Posts

Profile of Hypno
Bobser I believe Jesse was looking for names from the past.
I would also have to question whether someone could be classed as a legend if they are not reasonably widely known.
Mindpro I don't think I have heard any pro stage hypnotists here in the UK complaining that there are not enough stage hypnotists or enough stage hypnosis training.

Regards.
Hypno.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » The Legends of hypnosis (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL