The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » What rope trick is the greatest rope miracle you do? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
vampiro
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
240 Posts

Profile of vampiro
I haven't done ropes in a while.
So I need to catch up on rope miracles. I don't mean a worker, or decent. What rope trick utterly
blows away your audience? Where can I read it/get it?

Magic is the only hobby where you can disappear for a while, and reappear, and be better than ever.

Thanks,
scott
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Dances With Ropes - Magic Ian
Awakening - Dan Harlan
Whit Haydn- Rope teach-in
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Neff's Miracle Rope. Sold by Abbott's.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Loose Ends by john Zander. No longer available but an excellent routine!

Used Neff's Miracle Rope as an opener for years though. Love it!

Andre
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
I don't do Tabary's routine, but it killed most magician's when he first did it. There were moves that I never saw before. It is available on DVD.
I think you can see the routine on youtube. He was on a World's Greatest MAgic TV special with John Ritter hosting.
Check it out...it will confuse and amaze you.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Each and every one. should blow away an audience
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Percy 'put out' the NEFF C/R ROPE, but, I have an ad for the same effect by Will Lindhorst years before that. I wont mention the
catalog name of the effect, as it might tip the method.

Also, the late Harold Denhard (who wrote a booklet on various rope tricks--published by Magic Inc. about 30 years ago)had a similar effect, but never received much credit for it.

Anyway, it's a 'VEST POCKET MIRACLE'! As Andre says, "...used it as an opener..."
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Pavel's walking knot.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Rope through body is amazing.

Daryl's Amazing Acrobatic Knot is amusing.

Frankly there are sooo many fun Rope effects it's hard to choose which ones to use in a show.

I still keep learning new ones but I don't think I have a problem.... I can stop anytime I want.

-Mary Mowder
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I love my ungimmicked linking rope effect.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I love MY ungimmicked linking rope effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGsjqzqyYSU
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Very Very nice effect Mr Ian.
Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
Neff's Miracle Rope, Linking Ropes, or Fiber Optics
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Tabray Rope Routine. It kills
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
There are a couple of versions of the Neff Miracle Rope Effect which don't have to be done as an opener.

The Neff Miracle Rope was performed by Bill Cosby in one of Doug Henning's TV Specials. (His 7th Special, done in 1981.)

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Right Denny!
When I made the above post, I didn't want to (at that point) introduce 'one more variation'.

I've forgotten from whom I got the original tip on using NEFF in other than an opener. --Was it you?

I also had forgotten the Cosby 'rendition'!

Thanks for reminding me!

BTW>>>The routine that you and I worked out (about 1971!)that involved the Karl Germaine c/r plus the 'improved' Ed Victor c/r and the Slydini 'nitemare cut', the nitemare with Karrell's ideas and the "pre-Conway" restoration, got the most response (and questions after the show) than any rope trick, I've ever done.

I cannot ever thank you enough for your knowledge, and inspiration in developing that material.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Hi Dick,

Yes, I'm the one that alerted you to the variation on the Bill Neff rope which does not have to be done as an opener. Alas, my memory fails me as to where I found out about it. I recall seeing it in a book, but just can't recall which book.

I believe that we first worked out the variations of the Professor's Nightmare for your program on "The Puzzling Environment." Does that seem right to you? As you know, I have used a very similar sequence of rope effects for many years. This was my "closer" for my Parlour Act at the Magic Castle back in the days when I would perform there once a year. I shudder to think of how much rope you and I have cut up over the years. My routine starts with a length of rope of about 12 feet which gets cut up into many pieces. I've always picked up the pieces from the floor at the end of my school shows and passed them out to the kids as souvenirs. The one remaining longer piece (about 5') is given to my onstage volunteer to keep. I fondly recall the good old days when you could buy 300' spools of magician's rope from the Forsythe Twine Company in Georgia. During the years I toured for National School assemblies I bought full cases of those spools, getting them shipped to friends who were on my route. Sundays were always laundry day during those tours and when I would get a fresh case or two of the rope I would sit in the laundromat while waiting for my clothes to wash and dry and would cut the rope into the proper lengths and pull out the core. I imagine that you had a similar ritual.

I apologize to others reading this thread. I hope that you found some of this to be of interest.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis

P. S. The "Karrell Fox" nightmare moves may go back to earlier sources, but if so, I've never come across them.
Itinerant Montebank
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Here's a very simple approach to using the Neff rope during your show. You announce that you are going to do a trick with a piece of rope. You get up a volunteer and hand him the scissors (you need someone else to cut the rope for you in the Neff effect.) You then look into your table and seem to have trouble finding the rope. You apologize and mention that you forgot to put it into the case and step into the wings. You come out with the rope held as necessary and have the spectator cut the rope in the middle and then proceed with the restoration. You finish with an ungimmicked rope which you can give to the assisting spectator as a souvenir if you like.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
My addition to the Neff Miracle Rope was to have the spectator tie his ring to the end of the rope before it is cut. It is, of course, still there after the restoration, negating any thoughts of a switch without saying anything.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Andre,
What a clever idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis

P.S. I saw Bill Neff do this trick just once: At one of the Abbott Magic Get-Togethers in Colon. I believe it was in the Sixties. And, I'm pretty sure that Dick Oslund was also in the audience.
Itinerant Montebank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » What rope trick is the greatest rope miracle you do? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL