The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » What rope trick is the greatest rope miracle you do? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Denny!
I certainly wish that I had been there for the "Neff Get Together"! Unfortunately, I wasn't. --and I can't remember why I wasn't! I do have a copy of the Neff book. It's great, but I would have traded a dozen of the books for the chance to see Bill Neff in person.

Yes, you an I developed the c/r rope & nightmare routine for the PUZZLING ENVIRONMENT. I did that program 335 times that season. It played well, but, I was glad when we 'loaded the wagon' after the final date. With a little rewriting of the lines, that rope routine was the opening of the High School show for many years.

The last time I stopped in Forsythe GA to pick up a supply of rope, the factory had been sold and the new owner was not interested in making rope for magicians. I remember you telling me that when you did your first tour for Jack West, you bought a season's supply of rope. Recil Bordner said it was the biggest rope order in Abbott's history!

Remember Gen Grant's "50/50 Cut & Restored Rope"? He sold it while still in Pittsfield Mass. some time before moving to Columbus OH. When Karrell showed me his "improvement' on Bob Carver's masterpiece, I immediately realized that 'this' was the way to do the nightmare! Then, it hit me! It was the set up move for the 50/50! I never asked Karrell about it. --you know what his reaction would have been! I had only seen the 50/50 done once! (On Doug's first special with Bill Cosby as the "assistant"!

I like your get ready for the Neff c/r in mid show. (Do I 'smell' Harry's second cage vanish???)

With the snow that we've been having, I am seriously thinking of going south next winter. (Probably Green Bay!)

Down the road!

O

PS: My apologies also to the guys. Denny and I 'go back' to 1960! We've 'cut up a lot of jackpots over those years.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Oh, for the chance to have a time machine and get to see Dr. Neff's Madhouse of Mystery show! His "Miracle Rope" always struck me as one of the better inventions in Rope Magic. I have never performed it and have never seen it done by anyone else, but I can imagine that it is well... a miracle!

My favorite rope routines are:

1) My own Blindfolded Cut and Restored Rope (the microphone cord is accidentally cut)

2) My version of Juan Pablo's "Roped" (it involves a hangman's noose)

3) Invisible Rope by Pavel (the greatest rope magic genius, EVER!)
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Where can a rope magic lover like me learn the ungimmicked linking rope routine? HINT HINT HINT

I learned a great gimmicked version from my pal Ian, and if someone can tell me where I can learn an ungimmicked version I would love it. HINT HINT HINT
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
You have it Al, unless the version you have was ery early, it is a bonus effect on "Dances with Ropes"
It is on the demo or here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGsjqzqyYSU
I pm'd you...I may have a download for you.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Al Angelo,

There's another Linking Ropes Routine with ungimmicked ropes. It was created by Wayne Raeke who showed it to me at a magic convention and fooled me very badly. Wayne is or was a sufferer of Spina Bifida and was confined to a wheel chair but still did some great magic.

I still have my copy of the booklet which Wayne produced. These phrases appear on the front cover:
"No Gimmicks"
"Can be done with borrowed ropes"
Both of the statements are true.

I suppose that the only place you might be able to borrow the ropes is if you are performing in the home of a brother magician.

Another feature of this routine is that you can pass out the ropes and leave them with someone as a souvenir still linked together!

On the back cover of the booklet it says: "Martini Magic, P.O. Box 189, Delta, PA 17314" The book is copyright 1981. I suspect it's long out of print, but you might be able to find a used copy. The book has 14 excellent illustrations. If you enjoy fooling your brother magicians, you might want to get ahold of a copy of this routine.

To Dick,
I was not aware that I made the biggest rope purchase in Abbott's History. Thanks for sharing that.

To others reading this: Dick mentioned touring for "Jack West." He was the owner/manager of the old National School Assemblies Agency. I toured for them for five years with my ex-wife Annette. A few years later, after Annette and I had split I returned to do a single season for National. By then Fortsythe had closed and I bought the rope from Abbott's.

After one of my shows I had a student who had gotten a piece of my rope as a souvenir come up to me after the show. He said he knew how I did my rope tricks and pulled out a few inches of the core of the rope as if that explained something. When it happened again, I took to pulling the core out of the rope myself before using it. A few months later, another student came up with a piece of the rope after a show and said he knew how it was done. When I asked what he meant he said: "The rope is Hollow!" You can't win.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To Dick,

Yes, my thinking on the Miracle rope was inspired by seeing both Blackstone and Harry Junior "Get another bird and another cage and do it again."

When I was a student at Alma College we had to wear Coats and Ties for the evening meals. I often was set up with the bird cage. I got quite creative about where I would go to "get" the cage so I could do the vanish. While I've always admired Walter Blaney's ability to reach behind his back and bring out the cage I didn't like doing it that way because it suggests that the cage disappears somewhere on your person.

The only vanishing bird cage I've ever used was purchased from Abbott's. In those days they had them made by Blackstone Sr's brother Pete Bouton. At one of the Get-Togethers I had Pete sign my copy of the instructions. For some reason I tired of it and sold the cage (with the instructions) at a magic auction in Ann Arbor. A stupid thing to do. I should have held on to it, or donated it to Bob Lund's magic museum.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2013-04-18 13:53, Dennis Loomis wrote:
Al Angelo,

There's another Linking Ropes Routine with ungimmicked ropes. It was created by Wayne Raeke who showed it to me at a magic convention and fooled me very badly. Wayne is or was a sufferer of Spina Bifida and was confined to a wheel chair but still did some great magic.

I still have my copy of the booklet which Wayne produced. These phrases appear on the front cover:
"No Gimmicks"
"Can be done with borrowed ropes"
Both of the statements are true.

I suppose that the only place you might be able to borrow the ropes is if you are performing in the home of a brother magician.

Another feature of this routine is that you can pass out the ropes and leave them with someone as a souvenir still linked together!

On the back cover of the booklet it says: "Martini Magic, P.O. Box 189, Delta, PA 17314" The book is copyright 1981. I suspect it's long out of print, but you might be able to find a used copy. The book has 14 excellent illustrations. If you enjoy fooling your brother magicians, you might want to get ahold of a copy of this routine.

To Dick,
I was not aware that I made the biggest rope purchase in Abbott's History. Thanks for sharing that.

To others reading this: Dick mentioned touring for "Jack West." He was the owner/manager of the old National School Assemblies Agency. I toured for them for five years with my ex-wife Annette. A few years later, after Annette and I had split I returned to do a single season for National. By then Fortsythe had closed and I bought the rope from Abbott's.

After one of my shows I had a student who had gotten a piece of my rope as a souvenir come up to me after the show. He said he knew how I did my rope tricks and pulled out a few inches of the core of the rope as if that explained something. When it happened again, I took to pulling the core out of the rope myself before using it. A few months later, another student came up with a piece of the rope after a show and said he knew how it was done. When I asked what he meant he said: "The rope is Hollow!" You can't win.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis

I felt that other version did not have enough misdirection and was too difficult to restore, that is it wasn't complete. Also the hesitation of the link was not entertaining enough but it was more of a puzzle solution.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
leomagnus
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of leomagnus
Another vote for Pavel's Walking Knot.

-Leo
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I think that Martini Magic has Wayne Raeke's excellent booklet in stock - it is still listed on his web page, here.
vampiro
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
240 Posts

Profile of vampiro
What a wealth of rope miracles, fellow magi, I can't thank you enough. As a start, I bought Stewart James' "Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks, which should have Neff's miracle rope. Now, today, I just got a strand of rope from Dick Oslund to apply a principle from a c & r string to a special stranded rope.

Thanks for the many miracles you mentioned. I will save everything mentioned here.
Sincerely,
Scott
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I just dug around in my library and found an 8 1/2 x 11 13 page booklet called the "Bill Neff Bonanza" It has a $3.00 price on the cover, but a free copy was given to all of those that registered for the Abbott Get-Together of 1961. Inside it mentions the Miracle Rope Trick and even states that it can be done in the middle of your show. But it doesn't tell you how.

Neff used mostly apparatus magic and most of it was from Abbott's and this booklet is a treasure trove of handling and routining apparatus magic effects. It also discusses Make-Up, costuming, lighting, publicity, and booking. It tough to read as it's all single spaced with a typewriter font and has no pictures or illustrations other than on the inside of the front and back covers. Still, I recommend it for its information.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22900 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I use to do the Neff rope trick as a youngster, it was very magical even to me. The instructions Abbott's provide tell how to do the trick in the middle of your act. It is an old gag, that may not play as well as it did in the 1940's and 1950's. It was finding a piece of material hanging out of your sleeve. When it was pulled out, it was a red ladies nylon stocking or as some use to call them Silk Stocking.

I remember old black and white movies that would make a big deal out of giving silk stockings to their girlfriend overseas. The girl would be elated over receiving them. So, I guess that was the idea behind the stocking in the sleeve. Played much like the "Professor Cheer Rope Trick", finding rope hanging out of your sleeve after a cut and restored rope trick.

Without going to the instructions, I believe they mentioned red silk trick was previously to the audience discovery of the portion of red stick out of the sleeve.

I don't know if there is any sight gags today that would fit in to replace this stocking idea. Today, not many women were such things anymore. Although, I still get laughs at "Rice's Baffling Bloomer's" effect.

I remember that another un-gimmicked linking ropes was created by a magician who live in Texas I believe. He has passed, but everyone raved about the no gimmick linking ropes. He has been discussed on the Café, Jeff William's or something like that, anyone remember?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
10/4 Dennis!
I didn't get to the Bill Neff GTG, but I have in my archaeological midden heap, a copy of the Bill Neff Bonanza. You're right--it is hard to read. but it does have a lot us useful information.

If someone is interested, I could be prevailed upon to part company with it, for a reasonable price.

Dick Oslund (himself)
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Last time I worked Abbott's Get Together, I did the Neff Rope trick and fried the audience, soon after Abbott's SOLD OUT and had to make another batch of them next day. I also have done Shot and Restored gag. Spec shoots a blank gun at me, rope breaks in two, I spit out a bullet, then restore rope.
My current version would be (cos you can't bring scissors on planes) is to chew the rope into two pieces.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Pete>>I haven't done the Neff thing for years. (Too much 'prep.time' for the school show, and also, I didn't always wear a coat.)

When I was 'playing' with it, years ago, I even tried it as a "restoration with out cutting". I opened with it. I came on with "two pieces" of rope and they changed visibly to one piece. It played well.

--In 1970,I was planning the PUZZLING ENVIRONMENT tour. Neil showed me the ONE TWO ONE trick, it was easier to set, and I could get two effects out of it. I used it for a whole season (335 programs) when I did the PUZZLING ENVIRONMENT program for North Dakota State University.

I still use it when I want a 'faster' opening than with the color change silk.

With the original inst. came a version by Bob Cervas. You could show the 'two pieces" far apart in both hands, and then do the two to one move.

At Abbotts, about 15 or 20 years ago, Karrell "showed" me that method. He thought that he had invented it, and sold it through SUPREME. I told him it came with the original Grant instructions. He didn't want to believe it, but, I had the original instructions! As good friends as we were, Karrell would 'cuss me out' when I 'called him' on things of this nature. It happened a number of times over the years. (The toy 'blowouts' with the aquarium tubing, is a good example. It was in a SPHINX (or possibly GENII).

Hint: I never tried it, but, I think with a bit of careful measuring, you could do Carver's Nightmare with the Cervas ropes.
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of soleil
I will vote for the Pavel's super walking knot;

By the way is there on the web a video of Neff's miracle rope?
"Art is the Artist. The Artist is God."- Goete
RyanDicharry
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of RyanDicharry
Daryls Rope Routine. It always kills.

Ryan
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1439 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
As Dennis mentioned, if you can track down Wayne Raeke's Ungimmicked Linking Ropes, do it. IMHO, it's the best ungimmicked linking ropes routine there is. Also, there is gentleman from the UK who has an ungimmicked version of Walking Knot that kills.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Aaron...John Cornelius had a 'simplified' version of a walking knot in his lecture about 20 years ago.

It could be done with the pieces of rope used for the PN.
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
For $15 you can pick up Wayne Raeke's Ungimmicked Linking Ropes (it is a manuscript, not a DVD).

Go Here: http://www.martinismagic.com/Products.html

sdmagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » What rope trick is the greatest rope miracle you do? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL