The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » What rope trick is the greatest rope miracle you do? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
vampiro
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
240 Posts

Profile of vampiro
Thanks SDmagic,
The Raeke ungimmicked linking ropes must be a miracle. Yes, I did check it out and saw it at http://www.martinismagic.com
for 15 dollars. Thanks to Dennis' approval, this is a must buy. Marty Martini is a class act and his products and
customer service are incredible. Thanks for another rope miracle.

Thanks, thanks for some rope miracles.
Scott
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On 2013-04-18 18:36, vampiro wrote:
What a wealth of rope miracles, fellow magi, I can't thank you enough. As a start, I bought Stewart James' "Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks, which should have Neff's miracle rope. Now, today, I just got a strand of rope from Dick Oslund to apply a principle from a c & r string to a special stranded rope.

Thanks for the many miracles you mentioned. I will save everything mentioned here.
Sincerely,
Scott
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Dick,
Your mention of a restoration without cutting reminds me of a silly thing I came up with for a magic club meeting. I held a piece of rope and said I would do the Cut and Restored Rope Backwards. First I would restore the rope. I gathered up the ends, snapped my fingers, and showed that the rope was now a complete circle of rope. (This was not the old bit of holding the ends together... I could spin the circle of rope on a finger.) The I mentioned that to get back to a normal rope I just had to cut it. I cut the rope anywhere and triumphantly held up the length of rope.

I didn't do this often because it required a setup. It was just a pair or rope g*****ks in the ends of the rope. You could also do it with m****ts if you wish.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
As to the Raeke ungimmicked linking ropes: Wayne did it quite well, but to be honest it was not as clean as the standard gimmicked Linking Ropes. I also used the standard effect for lay audiences and saved Waynes routine to fry brother magicians.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
MagisterFreud
View Profile
Regular user
The 18
135 Posts

Profile of MagisterFreud
I love Marconick's rope through neck. It's simple, direct, and astounding.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Vampiro:

You ask a great question, which, I think, pretty much depends on your performing circumstances...in other words, for a stage performance, you might want to try a rope trick that "plays big"....the two tricks that come to mind for stage are Bill Neff's Miracle rope and Pavel's Super Walking knot..

For strolling, there is a complete different dynamic...my best suggestion is to look through Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks and also any of the George Sands booklets........MANY rope tricks pay homage to George Sands.....and the Abbott's Encyclopedia is a WEALTH of information about rope magic.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
To answer the OP's original question, "What is the greatest rope miracle" that you do. The answer has to be the "Professor Nitemare" aka "My Favorite Rope Trick" aka "Equal Unequal Rope Trick". Not only is it one of the greatest and most used Rope tricks in existence, it also is the basis for Richard Sanders and Daryl and Dan Harlan's latest rope trick. I am sure there are others that I have forgotten of unaware of as of this posting.

It is only "Unequaled" (pun intended) to Harold Sterling's Short And Long Rope Routine, performed with only one adult spectator compared to Harold's use of 2 children in his very funny and magical routine.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
As I said before, the Raeke method is a clever knot and a good puzzle, but I feel it is incomplete as a routine.
I thought up a follow up to it, by cutting the rope, thus unlinking the three ropes, but allowing me to instantly go into Sands, or Sanders, or my ungimmicked rope effect.
That makes it a well rounded routine.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
A version of Professor's Nightmare.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sterling's Short/Long Rope (no setup)
Neff's Miracle Rope (setup)
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
I do a 1 rope routine based on fibreoptics I threw in a cut and resored with a TT and everytime I do it or the proffessors nightmare version of fibreoptics I get crazy good reactions. and also 1 handed 1 second knot is killer to do I get a real stunned reaction to that one and it's so easy to do.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The Will Rogers snap knot is the greatest rope trick that I do and it was taught to me by Dennis Loomis.

The above posts from Dennis Loomis were the last posts he made at this forum before his untimely death RIP Dennis Loomis a one of a kind guy.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Al:

Dennis wisdom is sorely missed here. Luckily for us, Dick Oslund, a living magic legend, is here and he is posting much wisdom in these forums as well. He and I live in the same state...and hope to get together soon! I am looking forward to meeting him face to face!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Harlod Sterling's (Short and Long Rope)it's a staple in my shows. Lots of yelling and screaming from the children.
A piece of rope8 ft long can do 4 to 5 performances.
Tricky Ricky
MrG
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of MrG
I do a simple Prodessor's Nightmare with a story/routine of my own - dyed the ropes pink and introduce them as worm brothers - Wendle, Walter and Wesley Worm. Each is special but wish they were like the others - until they are all the same length and realize they are knot special any more. Luckily it was a nightmare and when they wake up all is right with the world.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Quote:
On 2013-06-01 10:21, MrG wrote:
I do a simple Prodessor's Nightmare with a story/routine of my own - dyed the ropes pink and introduce them as worm brothers - Wendle, Walter and Wesley Worm. Each is special but wish they were like the others - until they are all the same length and realize they are knot special any more. Luckily it was a nightmare and when they wake up all is right with the world.

LOL......when I did a lot of kid shows I told a similar story, but called them: inch worm, earth worm, and tapeworm. That usually got a chuckle out of the adults.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I did the Neff Rope as an opener on cruise ships using a De Kolta pull with a catgut loop that went around my middle finger. I opened with the Slydini Scissors. Three ropes the same length were laid side by side on the table, the Neff rope gimmick hanging behind. I would pick up a rope, find the center, cut it, snip off the pieces, and restore it and toss it to the audience. I would do the same thing again. The third time, I picked up the rope, attached the catgut loop to the right end, and picked up the bundle in my left. I handed the scissors to a front row spectator (they never noticed or commented on the scissors--the gimmick doesn't look important) and had him cut in the middle. I threw the ropes toward each other, and they visibly heal, and I tossed it out to the crowd. It was a strong opener.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
You can't top Pop. LOL
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Jeff Sheridan's Swan Lake routine is pretty good too.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
Straight up classical cut and restore a rope. Then I link a red rope and a white rope together (the first Dean's Box routine without the box). I do both of these only once.

I don't see how it's possible to do better than this. The best cut and restore and the best penetration routines with ropes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » What rope trick is the greatest rope miracle you do? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL