The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Stage illusion with spectator for under £200 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ben Pearl
View Profile
New user
London
4 Posts

Profile of Ben Pearl
Hi all,

I've been asked to perform at a Bat Mitzvah party where the hostess is being fairly specific (and yet oh so vague) about what she wants to see magic-wise.

I am a close-up magician trying to get more stage gigs, so currently my general routine is a simple mentalism one, including a book test, Marc Oberon's Oddball, Smash & Stab and similar.

She has told me:

Quote:
Need something quite large. You will have a stage. But something wow! Something you can even practice with Zoe (Bat Mitzvah girl) without us seeing! Must be something that guests say how the heck was that done!!

My budget is about £200 (around $300) and I've got time - the event isn't until October.

What could you recommend that fits the bill?
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Andrew Mayne stuff

Sawing Through (UF GRANT)
Ben Pearl
View Profile
New user
London
4 Posts

Profile of Ben Pearl
Quote:
On 2013-04-13 12:46, Bill Nuvo wrote:
Andrew Mayne stuff

Thanks for your reply.
Andrew Mayne's stuff seems very solo - I can't bring someone up to perform any of his illusions on.

Is Sawing Through simple to build? And is it the "Sawing Through A Girl" illusion explained in this book?
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
What about Victory Cubes?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7418 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Bill is likely referring to the Visible Sawing (Jig Saw) by MAK Magic. Also made by other magic dealers.

Here's a thread on it.

Note - you might see comments referring to the Bow Saw version. That version is more expensive.

There's also a chain saw version available from Smoky Mountain Magic, but again, it's a higher investment.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Thatoldblackmagic
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Thatoldblackmagic
Dear sir, I am a Scottish baded illusion builder if you want to PM me we could discuss a few ideas.
Scotland's first winner of the Edinburgh International Magic Festival's first place award. ~ Allen Tipton's magic Student. ~ Magic Historian and Collector ~ Built magic for Scotland's top Pantomimes ,Cats ,The Wizard of Oz and a few other shows. ~ As seen on TV theatre and film Smile Aged 17
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
854 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
The bigger issue to me is that someone is demanding that you perform an illusion on a platform budget show. Unless this person is a friend, or you wanted to take what you 'd make and invest all of it your fee in an illusion, I would pass. Don 't forget the business side of show business.

Just my comments.

Lou
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2013-04-13 13:07, Ben Pearl wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-13 12:46, Bill Nuvo wrote:
Andrew Mayne stuff

Thanks for your reply.
Andrew Mayne's stuff seems very solo - I can't bring someone up to perform any of his illusions on.

Do you know if you'll have a good enough stage, especially when it comes to lighting?

I've copiously used my modified version of his Spected Cabinet for the appearance of girls on their 'Sweet 16' parties as the climax of the event, when they come to do the Waltz with their dad and so on.

It blows people like nothing else.

Also, a wll-performed tip-over trunk can be just as effective, but far more versatile.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Ben Pearl
View Profile
New user
London
4 Posts

Profile of Ben Pearl
Quote:
On 2013-04-14 03:49, Fábio DeRose wrote:
Do you know if you'll have a good enough stage, especially when it comes to lighting?
I've copiously used my modified version of his Spected Cabinet for the appearance of girls on their 'Sweet 16' parties as the climax of the event, when they come to do the Waltz with their dad and so on.
It blows people like nothing else.

That's a fantastic idea. It would be a great effect to begin the dancing with her father.

I'm meeting with the client on Monday to discuss ideas... without revealing anything, could you say what lighting conditions/stage conditions need to be met? If she says that their stage could meet the demands of the illusion then I'd make the investment!
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Sure, no problem.

The back of the stage surrounding the illusion must be plain black. The darker, the better. You can easily arrange this with a large enough backdrop. Mine is 2.5 meters tall and 4 meters wide, and the illusion is centered. The one I use is custom made and quite heavy, but a 3-piece Spider one should suffice.

Angles on this illusion are not necessarily awesome - on a stage setting, where the audience sits quite away, you should be fine. Andrew Mayne covers all these matters wonderfully in the Specter Cabinet booklet, and it is a wonderful read. The apparatus itself ideally sits a little more than halfway back into the stage. It can be a little closer, yes. But not much. Angles are to be studied in each and every situation you'll use this prop on, and this is also for lights. Brotip: If you want to make this a permanent part of your act, make sure you have at least one light and/or angle-proof appearance.

Ideally, most of the lights should be off, whilst some surrounding the illusion, if correctly angled, can be lightly dim. Smoke / fog is a WONDERFUL add to this, too. It helps the illusion become more deceptive. I've used it to much success on a particular situation where the audience was sitting terribly close to the illusion and gladly it looked like a miracle. Infact, I have a rehearsal video on YT of this situation. I'll PM it to you (The video features 5x more smoke than we used on the actual performance, LOL).

It takes little rehearsing to perform confidently (There is little to none technical difficulty involved), but timing and good music are paramount to make it work truly well.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3210 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Two things strike me about this arrangement: #1 you are being asked to switch "fields" from Mentalism to Stage Illusions, a pretty big jump. #2 you are being asked to include Zoe. My response would be to #1 find an illusion that stays within the realms of mentalism, and #2 to make sure that Zoe is completely clueless about how you did it. #1 is fairly easy if you only look at illusions involving spiritualism or things generally agreed to be possible by psychic (mental) means. #2 is important because after you are gone, Zoe will be questioned and Zope has a best friend, who has a best friend, who has a best friend, etc. and all promise to keep her secret.
An example of an illusion that would stay within the realms of the psychic might be a spirit cabinet, with Zoe tied to a chair within and the spirit manifestations happening all around her. After being released, perhaps she correctly names where some object had been hidden while she was in the spirit cabinet, without knowing how she knows the answer. Anyway, those are my opinionated opinions and hints at a solution without getting too technical. It would be inexpensive, which is in its favor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Stage illusion with spectator for under £200 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL